Injury updates on Windass, Wallace and Rossiter

RFCRobertson

IT IS hoped Josh Windass will return to full training this week while Lee Wallace faces a race against time to be fit for Sunday’s trip to Dundee.

Windass has been suffering from an ankle injury but Graeme Murty confirmed the 23-year-old is coming out the other side of his lay-off.

Lee Wallace was removed as a precaution against Morton on Sunday and Murty says the medical team will do their very best to get the captain fit for the weekend.

That same medical team are still working with summer signing Jordan Rossiter and Murty provided an update on the 19-year-old’s fitness struggles.

Speaking to Rangers.co.uk Murty said:

“Josh will hopefully be involved in training on Wednesday if he comes through Tuesday alright.

“He trained a little bit with the physios and we are seeing what his reaction was like to that but I am quite hopeful.

“He has had an ankle problem but he is coming out the other side of it.

“Lee Wallace has had a muscular problem and taking him off was preventative, we didn’t want to make it any worse.

“He is hopeful that he is going to be making good strides and I have to say they’re taking really good care of him and making sure he has a really good chance for the weekend.

“Jordan has had an injection and he is on a very low load, he is doing some stuff in the gym with physios at the moment.

“He will be reassessed later on next week to see how that has gone and hopefully we can progress from there.”

Meanwhile Murty revealed leaving Rob Kiernan out of his first Gers squad was one of the hardest things he has had to do in his coaching career so far.

He continued:

“That was difficult. I am new to this as you know but standing in front of Rob, who is a big imposing guy, and actually saying to him that he wasn’t going to be in the squad was one of the most difficult things I have ever had to do.

“But I owe him that as a person to look him in the eye and tell him this is happening rather than just disregarding him and not being conscious of his feelings.

“Rightly he was upset, frustrated, annoyed, all those kind of things but I thought he dealt with it in a really mature manner so kudos to him for that and he trained very well today.

“Every person who is fit has an opportunity to go and put a shirt on; it is as simple as that.”

Niko Kranjcar is making great strides in his recovering from a torn ACL and while Murty can’t wait to welcome him back he isn’t happy about the Croatian reminding him of empathic win he got over on the caretaker boss’ Reading side while at Portsmouth.

Murty smiled: “Niko is getting on really well actually and he is a great character, he is very into his football and has great knowledge.

“Please do not look at games that Niko has played in where I have played against him because it is not good. It does not make good reading for me – Portsmouth beat Reading 7-4 and I got taken off!

“I got taken off just after Niko scored so I have great memories of how good he is.

“Steve Coppell said to me “Are you ever going to get tight to him?” and I said I can’t I don’t even know where he is. He was supposed to be playing on my side and I never saw him the whole game.

“He is delighted in reminding me of that every time I see him; he remembers playing against me with a big smile on his face.”

Guest Lloyd72

IT IS hoped Josh Windass will return to full training this week while Lee Wallace faces a race against time to be fit for Sunday’s trip to Dundee.

Windass has been suffering from an ankle injury but Graeme Murty confirmed the 23-year-old is coming out the other side of his lay-off.

Lee Wallace was removed as a precaution against Morton on Sunday and Murty says the medical team will do their very best to get the captain fit for the weekend.

That same medical team are still working with summer signing Jordan Rossiter and Murty provided an update on the 19-year-old’s fitness struggles.

“Josh will hopefully be involved in training on Wednesday if he comes through Tuesday alright.

“He trained a little bit with the physios and we are seeing what his reaction was like to that but I am quite hopeful.

“He has had an ankle problem but he is coming out the other side of it.

“Lee Wallace has had a muscular problem and taking him off was preventative, we didn’t want to make it any worse.

“He is hopeful that he is going to be making good strides and I have to say they’re taking really good care of him and making sure he has a really good chance for the weekend.

“Jordan has had an injection and he is on a very low load, he is doing some stuff in the gym with physios at the moment.

“He will be reassessed later on next week to see how that has gone and hopefully we can progress from there.”

Meanwhile Murty revealed leaving Rob Kiernan out of his first Gers squad was one of the hardest things he has had to do in his coaching career so far.

He continued:

“That was difficult. I am new to this as you know but standing in front of Rob, who is a big imposing guy, and actually saying to him that he wasn’t going to be in the squad was one of the most difficult things I have ever had to do.

“But I owe him that as a person to look him in the eye and tell him this is happening rather than just disregarding him and not being conscious of his feelings.

“Rightly he was upset, frustrated, annoyed, all those kind of things but I thought he dealt with it in a really mature manner so kudos to him for that and he trained very well today.

“Every person who is fit has an opportunity to go and put a shirt on; it is as simple as that.”

Niko Kranjcar is making great strides in his recovering from a torn ACL and while Murty can’t wait to welcome him back he isn’t happy about the Croatian reminding him of emphatic win he got over on the caretaker boss’ Reading side while at Portsmouth.

Murty smiled: “Niko is getting on really well actually and he is a great character, he is very into his football and has great knowledge.

“Please do not look at games that Niko has played in where I have played against him because it is not good. It does not make good reading for me – Portsmouth beat Reading 7-4 and I got taken off!

“I got taken off just after Niko scored so I have great memories of how good he is.

“Steve Coppell said to me “Are you ever going to get tight to him?” and I said I can’t I don’t even know where he is. He was supposed to be playing on my side and I never saw him the whole game.

“He is delighted in reminding me of that every time I see him; he remembers playing against me with a big smile on his face.”

Guest Lloyd72
2 minutes ago, Dietspam said:

What is actually wrong with Rossiter? Injection....for what? 

it's a muscle injury in his calf, he was sent to see FA physios in England last week and they said it might be because of pressure on his lower back. Hopefully it gets sorted soon.

24 minutes ago, weshallnotbemoved! said:

Windass is made of glass..should be called Windies...and he is pish.

Remember the stories that surfaced around December that he was heading to either Newcastle or Derby for 3M - I prayed they were true. They were not. 

11 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

it's a muscle injury in his calf, he was sent to see FA physios in England last week and they said it might be because of pressure on his lower back. Hopefully it gets sorted soon.

I can personally vouch for the impact a bad back can have elsewhere. 

Ive had issues with hips, hamstrings, calfs and ankles - all stemming from a lower back issue. 

Got that sorted, and been virtually injury free since. Took years to get to the bottom of it, and funnily enough a Ryan Giggs yoga DVD was what helped :lol:

Most concerning part of that is nutty saying telling Kiernan he was dropped is hardest thing he's ever had to do 

get the boy some assertiveness training, ridiculous we could have even an interim manager who was so lacking in the skills and experience needed to be a leader 

1 minute ago, Blue72 said:

Most concerning part of that is nutty saying telling Kiernan he was dropped is hardest thing he's ever had to do 

get the boy some assertiveness training, ridiculous we could have even an interim manager who was so lacking in the skills and experience needed to be a leader 

I don't know about you but what he done (to me) is the definition of leadership he was strong and made a tough call and had the balls to tell him to his face