First Old Firm Game

TheCutch

March 1977 I was 14 and would have got ma baws booted if my parents knew. Much of a blur, Parlane scored and it ended 2-2. I got a lift over into the "Derry"

I remember cans of lager flying over my head when they scored and the "River of pish" under my feet:lol:

I learned to head up the back after that.:mutley:

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, harlands plater said:

Posted this recently on another thread.

Start of  1972-73 season, the tarriers were rebuilding their stand so their home OF game was at Hampden. Also the first ever 12 noon kick off so the atmosphere was weird and flat, nothing like I had been told about for years previously. I don't think we even needed tickets, the crowd was probably around 50,000 which at that time was less than half the capacity.

They outplayed us and they were 3-0 up before John Greig scored for us in the last minute.

Yeah I was at that game bud, those taig cunts sarcastically applauding Greigs goal. Is that right or did I just imagine that?

21 minutes ago, Johnny Dangerously said:

Yeah I was at that game bud, those taig cunts sarcastically applauding Greigs goal. Is that right or did I just imagine that?

That was the reason I mentioned it recently, someone said the tarriers applauded Greig genuinely  that day but I had always thought it had been sarcastic. 

2 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

That was the reason I mentioned it recently, someone said the tarriers applauded Greig genuinely  that day but I had always thought it had been sarcastic. 

Yeah me too. They knew the game was over and as Greig had scored at their end they just decided to take the piss by shouting and applauding, wasn't the whole end more a section of them if I remember right. Greig didn't really react just gathered the ball and made his way back to centre circle.

I was 12 at the time and that's how I remember it.

My first one at Ibrox was the 1973 New Year game, we won 1-0 with a last minute header from a player I would rather forget.

Fitst one at their midden we won as well, League Cup I think in 1974, Ian McDougall scored and I think Bomber Jackson? My old man and I were in their bit of the stand, couldn't even celebrate.

2 minutes ago, Shook1980 said:

1993 league cup semi final at Ibrox.If i can remember correctly Rangers won a toss of the coin for game to be played at Ibrox. What an atmosphere that night im sure Rangers won 1-0 Hately with the goal.

Aye that daft cunt Huistra getting himself sent off for a wild swing that connected with no one. Was raging with him at the time. You could sense that the taigs thought they had it in the bag after that sending off. Step forward Durranty robbing Galloway and crossing for Hately - GOAL !

Great night

4 hours ago, harlands plater said:

Posted this recently on another thread.

Start of  1972-73 season, the tarriers were rebuilding their stand so their home OF game was at Hampden. Also the first ever 12 noon kick off so the atmosphere was weird and flat, nothing like I had been told about for years previously. I don't think we even needed tickets, the crowd was probably around 50,000 which at that time was less than half the capacity.

They outplayed us and they were 3-0 up before John Greig scored for us in the last minute.

Did we not beat them at piggery just before this game in league cup tie That was strangely the season where we had the last massive crowds

120k for Scottish final but seasons after .Totally dipped

4 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

Did we not beat them at piggery just before this game in league cup tie That was strangely the season where we had the last massive crowds

120k for Scottish final but seasons after .Totally dipped

League Cup game was actually 1973-74, we beat them 3-1 at the piggery. I was a year out about that one.

4 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

League Cup game was actually 1973-74, we beat them 3-1 at the piggery. I was a year out about that one.

Yeah mate .So that means we had 120,000 for a cup final in Summer 73 and 50,000 for a game a few months later .

Where did everyone go :-)

3 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

Yeah mate .So that means we had 120,000 for a cup final in Summer 73 and 50,000 for a game a few months later .

The crowds did plummet after 1973.  I think the 1976 Scottish Cup Final against Hearts had an official attendance of 85,000 although it seemed like a lot more.

4 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

As Toya would say, it's a Mythtery

Seriously, cup finals always seemed to attract huge crowds in early 70s, no idea why, or the dip in the same decade.