First Old Firm Game

TheCutch

1 hour ago, TheCutch said:

Aye. Early leads in both games.

Macavennie scored early in the 5-1

Can't remember who scored their early one at New Year, but an English full back rings a bell in my mind for some reason.

But yes, 2 early leads and 2 gubbings. :lol:

Chris Morris scored then we pumped them again:dance:

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, TheCutch said:

Aye. Early leads in both games.

Macavennie scored early in the 5-1

Can't remember who scored their early one at New Year, but an English full back rings a bell in my mind for some reason.

But yes, 2 early leads and 2 gubbings. :lol:

Chris Morris, yet another in their long line of plastic Paddies.

Walked along the Victoria Road up round the corner with my dad, down past lesser Hampden, and there was the first sign this game was different. A big (Wessex ?) RAF helicopter landing at lesser Hampden with royalty. H.R.H Princess Alexandra had landed, the first (and only ?) occasion royalty attended an old firm game.

The 1973 cup final in our "centenary year ".  126,000+ squashed in to Hampden, biggest crowd i was ever in. 

And I remember the brave Gers fans who had climbed up the inside of the stand along the roof gantrys and were 50-60 feet above the crowd flying the Union Flag. (Does anyone else remember when our fans did that at Hampden in the seventies/eighties, absolute nutters).

I was down towards the front, and was aware of the massive crowds building up. 

In those days the tims usually scored first,and sure enough the usual suspect Dalglish scored early on. 

But then Parlane scored. Half time. 1-1

Second half 17 seconds old and a mazy Alfie Conn run made it 2-1. The whole Rangers end was jumping and swaying and I'm not exaggerating when I say my dad and I were at least 50 yards further away in the terrace when it settled down. 

John Greig then made one of the greatest saves ever seen at Hampden right on the goal line. Unfortunately he wasn't the official goalkeeper and Connelly scored the penalty 2-2. 

Then the final bit of magic. Big Tam poking the ball in off his studs. Final whistle was bedlam, we'd turned a huge corner in that game against the tims and the next few years gave some of our sweetest triumphs, including more cup wins and trebles, but nothing ever surpassed that '73 cup final for me. My first Old Firm and the best.

aaef9864579726dd3cdb98b35a1101cd.jpg

Mine was 1994 away at the Piggery. As per usual, we left the 166 in Airdrie probably about half an hour before kick off and didn't get in until about 5 minutes into the game and Rangers were already 2-0 up from Hateley and Mickailichenko (if I've spelt that right I deserve a medal). Some game though, finished 4-2 as you'll all remember and the tarriers were in meltdown. I was only 8 and I remember Trevor Steven and Jukebox being fucking unplayable, as was Hateley. Happy New Year Timothy! 

23 hours ago, tm91 said:

The first one I can vivdly remember was the 3-1 game in the 9 in a row season with *that* free-kick and Erik-Bo Andersen the Danish Poacher. Even though I have vivid memories of watching Rangers games before then for whatever reason I can't remember watching an Old-Firm game before that one.

Because I was brought up in England the first Old-Firm game I actually attended was in 2005 - another 3-1 game - the one where Marvin Andrew assisted Prso with what was probably the best pass he had ever played. Buffel scored and was shit-hot that day as well.

Aye. Same here regarding living in England but the first game I remember seeing was the same one aswell. I would've been 10-11 at the time and only really getting into football, I'd always had shirts since a young age,but that game sticks in my mind (it must've been the free kick) as the first one I actually sat down and watched.  

On 2/16/2017 at 10:58 AM, Prince George said:

27th April 1066 Scottish cup final replay at Hamden. Rangers 1 Celtic 0 Kia Johansen scored the winner. My father would not take me on the Saturday because crowd would be to big. Took me to replay and there were still over 100,000 at the match. 

I was at that one too...

Soembody got an arrow in their eye! Pretty wild back then...fought them with swords and axes!

On 16/02/2017 at 4:55 PM, TEFTONG said:

This was my 1st game at the piggery..I was 8 and was placed down the front..When Alex Miller scored that last minute winner I very near shat myself..It took me about 25 mins to find my Dad and Grandad as they ended up 500 yards away celebrating..:dance:

My first visit to the dump as well

first OF game was DCF 79?? cooper and Jardine classics