Roger Hynd

gsa

On my hourly news search for info on our new manager, DOF, etc,etc I've came across an article on Roger Hynd who has sadly passed away. 

Some kind and interesting words from Craig Brown. Judging by the attached picture Roger Hynd looked like a physical specimen and a straight down the line gentleman by all accounts. 

Also interesting to see him wearing a kit with a sort of white panel down the middle? Was that an official kit? Did we wear it often? 

Sad to see another link to the past depart. 

Their was a small piece in the paper the other day, apparently he managed Motherwell for a season, anyway it was saying that they would be paying tribute to him after his death, unfortunate as it is big Rogers career at Rangers is to often refered back to the cwcf against bayern when he played up front after the debacle of Berwick.

RIP big man

Sad to hear about big Roger, he was indeed a physical specimen as gsa says, I remember him as the P.E. teacher at Lanark Grammar in the early 60s. He went into teaching after he finished with the football. Can also remember him playing up front against Bayern, listened to the game on the radio with my Dad who was a distant relation to Roger ( second cousin or similar), sure he had the ball in the net but the "goal" was ruled out for offside or another infringement. Any other older guys confirm that, or is me memory playing up.

He always came across as a big gentleman. I recall reading relatively recently he had been a guest at Ibrox and wasn't in the best of health. 

I've chosen this photo deliberately as it sums up his career.

hyndfinal2.jpg

Played in the first team occasionally for the first 8 years he was here, I saw him often in reserve games, his biggest game was the 67 ECWC where he played out of position in a team which was chopped around after the embarrasing defeat to Berwick. 

And scored a goal which was ruled off for a "foul" on the goalie in days when physical contact was commonplace.

Went to Birmingham, where he was more successful and was inducted in their hall of fame. 

R.I.P. Roger.

4 hours ago, gsa said:

On my hourly news search for info on our new manager, DOF, etc,etc I've came across an article on Roger Hynd who has sadly passed away. 

Some kind and interesting words from Craig Brown. Judging by the attached picture Roger Hynd looked like a physical specimen and a straight down the line gentleman by all accounts. 

Also interesting to see him wearing a kit with a sort of white panel down the middle? Was that an official kit? Did we wear it often? 

Sad to see another link to the past depart. 

That's a Birmingham shirt with the panel - BCFC crest - take a close look. oooopds never noticed your other post

If only that 67 goal hadn't been disallowed, or of we had Jim Forrest still playing for us.... oh well - RIP Roger.  

4 hours ago, Rob4th said:

Sad to hear about big Roger, he was indeed a physical specimen as gsa says, I remember him as the P.E. teacher at Lanark Grammar in the early 60s. He went into teaching after he finished with the football. Can also remember him playing up front against Bayern, listened to the game on the radio with my Dad who was a distant relation to Roger ( second cousin or similar), sure he had the ball in the net but the "goal" was ruled out for offside or another infringement. Any other older guys confirm that, or is me memory playing up.

He always came across as a big gentleman. I recall reading relatively recently he had been a guest at Ibrox and wasn't in the best of health. 

Was Roger Hynd not related to Bill Shankly aswell?

31 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

Was Roger Hynd not related to Bill Shankly aswell?

He was. Tbey all hailed from the Muirkirk area 

And yes, he was manager of motherwell in the late 1970's 

Remember a game at fir park. Motherwell were on a 10 game unbeaten run and i dont think they had even conceded a goal in that time. They played us and went 2-0 in front with 30mins gone. A big battle started on the terraces and fans spilled onto the pitch etc. Ref took the players off. Big jock tore into the team and once order was restored rangers came out and won 5-3 and went on to clinch the treble  

1 hour ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

He was. Tbey all hailed from the Muirkirk area 

And yes, he was manager of motherwell in the late 1970's 

Remember a game at fir park. Motherwell were on a 10 game unbeaten run and i dont think they had even conceded a goal in that time. They played us and went 2-0 in front with 30mins gone. A big battle started on the terraces and fans spilled onto the pitch etc. Ref took the players off. Big jock tore into the team and once order was restored rangers came out and won 5-3 and went on to clinch the treble  

I think I remember that game as well . Didn't big DJ get us back into it