Bates

1NachoNovo

There's been loads of people saying he's shite and should get hooked etc. Give the lad a break. He might not be the silkiest player with the ball at his feet, but his primary role is to defend. Three starts and none conceded He must be doing something right. Even when he was wrong sided with the thistle attacker today, he still got a good challenge in to kill the threat. I'm sure the lad will be thinking about that and put it right in the future. Please just encourage the guy and not write him off after 10 minutes or so into a game. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't tested today but that's not his fault. 

I was impressed with a tackle he made half-way through first half, he did well to time it and get a touch on it which made it safe.

I'm unsure about him if I'm being honest, but you can say/think what you want - the fact is that's x3 clean sheets with him starting last 3-games. He's done his bit.

Bit unsure of Celtic next weekend. Him against Dembele or Griffiths but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. The stage might be his to really come to the fore.

4 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

He's good at defending but his passing is scary Holt and Tav need to come short more often and take the ball off him

This:tu:

His distribution, particularly long, is pretty poor but basic defending he does well and his positional sense is good for one so young.

1 minute ago, plumbGER said:

This:tu:

His distribution, particularly long, is pretty poor but basic defending he does well and his positional sense is good for one so young.

His passing first half was poor but that was more down to no-one giving him options imo

5 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Wasn't tested today but that's not his fault. 

I was impressed with a tackle he made half-way through first half, he did well to time it and get a touch on it which made it safe.

I'm unsure about him if I'm being honest, but you can say/think what you want - the fact is that's x3 clean sheets with him starting last 3-games. He's done his bit.

Bit unsure of Celtic next weekend. Him against Dembele or Griffiths but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. The stage might be his to really come to the fore.

Get what you're saying, it will be massive for him. However, it may also be the making of him. Whatever happens, I certainly won't be putting the blame on him. We need to be encouraging players like him while he is learning.

4 minutes ago, Blue Atheist said:

Done reasonably well the past few games but I don't think he's better than Clint Hill.

Clearly, but Hill has years of experience. Bates is gaining that and should not be told he is shite week in week out. How is that going to encourage the guy?

4 minutes ago, Skyson1872 said:

His passing first half was poor but that was more down to no-one giving him options imo

Aye i noticed that, nobody was showing for the ball forcing him to go long.

The games he has played so far his long balls seem aimless.

1 minute ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

He really doesn't look very good at all.

Distribution was awful first half, can't header a ball, lost far too many aerial challenges.

Biggest positive is that he doesn't hide after making mistakes.

Worry for us if he starts next week.

Half with you and half not. How many quality defenders have we had over the years that could dribble the ball out of defence? The only one I can think of that could make a peach of a back to front pass was big Amoruso. However, he was always prone to a stupid fuck up and leave us exposed, which Bates hasn't done. So, some defenders have better qualities than others. Bates still has a clean sheet, so that is job done for me. As mentioned, midfield should be coming to take the ball off him. Even at that, the midfield aren't that great at making a forward pass.

2 minutes ago, 1NachoNovo said:

Half with you and half not. How many quality defenders have we had over the years that could dribble the ball out of defence? The only one I can think of that could make a peach of a back to front pass was big Amoruso. However, he was always prone to a stupid fuck up and leave us exposed, which Bates hasn't done. So, some defenders have better qualities than others. Bates still has a clean sheet, so that is job done for me. As mentioned, midfield should be coming to take the ball off him. Even at that, the midfield aren't that great at making a forward pass.

Too many of the passes looked aimless.

Do you think it's coincidence that teams look happy to allow Bates to get possession from the keeper?

Not only that, he's got an error in him waiting to get caught in possession. He seems to take an age at times to make his decision. A nippy forward will soon make it for him.

He's young and may well develop into a player.

But for now I'm pretty sure there's bheast forwards looking forward to coming up against him.  He's the weakest link.

1 minute ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Too many of the passes looked aimless.

Do you think it's coincidence that teams look happy to allow Bates to get possession from the keeper?

Not only that, he's got an error in him waiting to get caught in possession. He seems to take an age at times to make his decision. A nippy forward will soon make it for him.

He's young and may well develop into a player.

But for now I'm pretty sure there's bheast forwards looking forward to coming up against him.  He's the weakest link.

Like I said, he might not be the best with the ball at his feet, but if he gets the ball and boots it anywhere he likes, that'll do me. Clearing his lines is his job and he's doing that.

2 minutes ago, BlueAvenger said:

The boy is doing ok and better than I thought.

But I have to be honest and I fear for us if he plays against the scum forwards next week 

Since when have we ever feared they cunts? We've proved on a few occasions that when it comes playing football, they are just as shite as us. 

The boy has understandably had a few nervous moments since coming into the team, for that reason alone I'd hope big Clint recovers in time for next week. 

Still an improvement on Kiernan though imo and could well develop into a more accomplished player. Pedro has sent a message to both  the younger boys and the established players by giving these two a run. 

He wins just about everything in the air and seems to tackle fine. There were a couple of mix ups between him and Tav but with a bit more experience he should become more commanding and take out dilly dallying Tav along with the ball and opposition players. His distribution needs to improve though. But why, when the ball was continually being played to him in the 1st half, did the more experienced players not make themselves available for a pass. People are saying he hasn't been tested but I'd bet that if Kiernan  had played in those games we would have lost at least a couple of goals. I hope that Hill is back for the next couple of games though.