Bates

1NachoNovo

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As slow as the boy is I can't remember him being caught out with a ball over the top the likes of Keirnan constantly gets caught out with, and I don't know if it's a coincidence but with Keirnan missing Wilson is playing a lot better, and I can't believe I would have said that at any time this season, however I hope Hill Is fit for next week as he's been our best defender against that lot this season.

Sorry but he's utter pish. He's good in the air but that's about it. In no world is he better than Kiernan and I would love to see the threads made the last 3 matches if Kiernan had put in his performances. His long punts to the opposition goalkeeper 30 yards from any Rangers player are absolutely staggering. I'm not hating on him but I'd rather see what Aidan Wilson can do instead of Bates next time if others are injured.

12 minutes ago, Broxi said:

Sorry but he's utter pish. He's good in the air but that's about it. In no world is he better than Kiernan and I would love to see the threads made the last 3 matches if Kiernan had put in his performances. His long punts to the opposition goalkeeper 30 yards from any Rangers player are absolutely staggering. I'm not hating on him but I'd rather see what Aidan Wilson can do instead of Bates next time if others are injured.

Watched the 2 of them in the reserves and Aidan Wilson is a far better player

2 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Wasn't tested today but that's not his fault. 

I was impressed with a tackle he made half-way through first half, he did well to time it and get a touch on it which made it safe.

I'm unsure about him if I'm being honest, but you can say/think what you want - the fact is that's x3 clean sheets with him starting last 3-games. He's done his bit.

Bit unsure of Celtic next weekend. Him against Dembele or Griffiths but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. The stage might be his to really come to the fore.

Yeah I agree with you . There's seems to be a nervousness about him that's quite unsettling and I do worry how that will hold next week in what is a big game for us . 

Confidence won't make him run faster and I thought his distribution was poor, although I did think Foderingham should have used Wilson a bit more rather than Bates. 

He might develop over time but he's a definite stop gap. If Hill is fit he should start against that lot. 

Beerman on the other hand 

Give the boy a break 4 months ago he was at Raith Rovers. He's came in and improved every game. 3 clean sheets should give him encouragement. Tim's didn't  keep a clean sheet against maryhill magyars. Stick in son.

1 hour ago, ScotlandGer said:

Agree his long punts were useless but as has already been said there were so many times where none of our players gave him an option for a short pass. Thought he shielded the ball well and put in some good tackles in the second half 

I'd much rather a long punt up field than that donkey Kiernan pissing about with it at the back and giving a goal away!

3 hours ago, Broxi said:

He's not good in the air.

17 hours ago, 1NachoNovo said:

There's been loads of people saying he's shite and should get hooked etc. Give the lad a break. He might not be the silkiest player with the ball at his feet, but his primary role is to defend. Three starts and none conceded He must be doing something right. Even when he was wrong sided with the thistle attacker today, he still got a good challenge in to kill the threat. I'm sure the lad will be thinking about that and put it right in the future. Please just encourage the guy and not write him off after 10 minutes or so into a game. 

I was saying the exact thing yesterday after the game :thumbup:

16 hours ago, DBBTB said:

He's not a great footballer but he's good in the air and he can win a tackle so after nearly two years of watching a so called 'footballing centre half' in Kiernan be absolute shite I'm happy enough with him in the side for now.

Sorry m8. I've only seen him twice in the flesh & I don't think he is that good in the air for a big guy. I haven't seen him make many tackles either. Big Clint's the only tackler we have. Fingers crossed young Batesy developes but he's going to have to imorove in just about every department.

17 hours ago, 1NachoNovo said:

Half with you and half not. How many quality defenders have we had over the years that could dribble the ball out of defence? The only one I can think of that could make a peach of a back to front pass was big Amoruso. However, he was always prone to a stupid fuck up and leave us exposed, which Bates hasn't done. So, some defenders have better qualities than others. Bates still has a clean sheet, so that is job done for me. As mentioned, midfield should be coming to take the ball off him. Even at that, the midfield aren't that great at making a forward pass.

Kuzetzov :dance:

1 minute ago, ronniescu said:

Sorry m8. I've only seen him twice in the flesh & I don't think he is that good in the air for a big guy. I haven't seen him make many tackles either. Big Clint's the only tackler we have. Fingers crossed young Batesy developes but he's going to have to imorove in just about every department.

Guy beside me said he was good in the air. Just before he twice seemed to jump lower than his standing height and get nowhere near winning ball.

I was at Kilmarnock too and again, for his height, thought he wasn't great in the air.

In the 3 games so far he's improved in each as the game has gone on. I still think he has an error in him but that was least obvious yesterday. His distribution yesterday was the worst of his 3 performances.

I don't think he's improved over the 3 games, I don't think he is or will develop into a Rangers class player. 

On that pitch yesterday he played more like a thistle player than a Rangers one.

Not sure how I'd feel about playing him in these games against them.

On one hand, he's been playing as part of a defence that hasn't conceded since he came in and dropping him for these games could damage the confidence he's gained from that.

Equally, playing him against them and him being given the runaround by their attackers could also destroy his confidence.

It's a tough one.

Over the last five years we've had many in our support calling for the introduction of our youngster into the first team. Don't know if Bates will go on to have a career at Ibrox or elsewhere, only time will tell but credit to PC for giving him his chance and for the lad taking it!