Rangers pull out of SPFL Development League

PRW.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, PRW. said:

To play against the youth teams of Europe's top clubs.

"The Ibrox side have been given permission to withdraw for a year to take on the likes of Manchester City, Spurs, Manchester United, Benfica and Sporting Lisbon"

Good to hear but something that should have been implemented years ago. The bheasts have  had a team playing in the European youth league for years, something that seems to have passed us by.

http://www.uefa.com/uefayouthleague/season=2017/clubs/atoz/index.html

22 minutes ago, Virtuoso said:

Good to hear but something that should have been implemented years ago. The bheasts have  had a team playing in the European youth league for years, something that seems to have passed us by.

UEFA Youth League is a qualification tournament. Our 17s are challenging to qualify for it next season. 

This cant be anything other than a good move, for too long the club seemed to be taking a half hearted approach to youth development. With finances meaning we will never again compete with rich English clubs when it comes to signing the finished article we need to get good at making our own players. When I say good I mean the best in Scotland and  there is absolutely no reason we cant be amongst the best in Britain. That should be the aim. Since getting rid of Sinclair the club at last seem to heading in the right direction with regards to this.

4 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Sounds good but in Mulhollands interview on the website there's too much emphasis on making Scotland a good footballing nation for my liking we should be doing this for ourselves we don't owe Scotland a thing 

will we be playing these games away from home too? Quite fancy going to Portugal to watch these games 

Probably had to sell it that way to get special permission to pull out

2 minutes ago, moody blue 1972 said:

Probably had to sell it that way to get special permission to pull out

Not at all young Scottish players want to represent their country and see it as an honour, it also increases their value if capped..

57 minutes ago, The Dude said:

UEFA Youth League is a qualification tournament. Our 17s are challenging to qualify for it next season. 

I can't find the league table anywhere - I know why.....but a dons fan said that us,Celtic and Dons could finish on the same points but Celtic have a mental schedule due to there euro games.....how many games left? where do we sit?

Just now, Spiderpig said:

I can't find the league table anywhere - I know why.....but a dons fan said that us,Celtic and Dons could finish on the same points but Celtic have a mental schedule due to there euro games.....how many games left? where do we sit?

We don't currently sit anywhere:

http://www.uefa.com/uefayouthleague/season=2017/standings/index.html

3 minutes ago, Virtuoso said:

I think the team that finishes top in the Under 17's in scotland goes into the European youth league .....i believe we are in with a shout this year along with Sellick and Dons....

4 hours ago, Virtuoso said:

Yeh teams now get in to the Euro youth league if they are in the champions league!

does anyone know if we are actually joining another league set-up or are we just looking for bounce matches against better quality teams? 

11 hours ago, one55 said:

lol how about we first focus on being able to win the scottish premier league before thinking about going to a bigger league. if we ever leave scottish football and were to join say an english/european league then you can forget winning league titles.

With our crowd base, in a bigger league where we would earn more cash and could compete on a level playing field, we could compete in any league.   As for not winning, I disagree, it would take time, anyhow it is unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future. 

2 hours ago, Virtuoso said:

Maybe there's another reason for pulling out:

RANGERS FC YOUTH DEVELOPMENT COMPANY LIMITED

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/SC040033

Accounts overdue.

Maybe nothing, but given the unaccounted period covers the same period as Kings return...:sarcasm:

Without getting into any argument on this.... RYDC is independent from the club.