Team Photograph

Tom0411

2 hours ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

Ralph Brand looking very stern probably knowing it was his last pic in a Rangers jersey, more or less left for Man City early August for £30k!

image.gif.e3b1984e73e00071752e7004e680f56e.gif

Interesting thing is he came out in his newspaper column afterwards and went tonto about the club.

I wonder if he would get away with that today or he would be in the same boat as Terry Butcher.

Anyway it's a very interesting picture - full of Strollers and Combination players. Tom Donnelly (Simon Donnelly's old man) next to King Kai and Þórólfur Beck up the back. I'm sure @johanhentze could help with the pronunciation on that one. I believe in Scotland he was known as Thor or Tottie!

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Interesting thing is he came out in his newspaper column afterwards and went tonto about the club.

I wonder if he would get away with that today or he would be in the same boat as Terry Butcher.

Anyway it's a very interesting picture - full of Strollers and Combination players. Tom Donnelly (Simon Donnelly's old man) next to King Kai and Þórólfur Beck up the back. I'm sure @johanhentze could help with the pronunciation on that one. I believe in Scotland he was known as Thor or Tottie!

It would be pronounced along the lines of "Thouwrrolfuhr", depending on your accent, of course :)

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I've always wanted to go to both. I think I will try get there next spring.

Tourism kicked off in Iceland in a big way only a few years ago.. the same is happening in the Faroe Islands now.. Ive never seen so many tourists up here. I would suggest you get yourself booked as soon as possible as all hotel beds get sold out in the summertime. Teams that came up here for the Europa/Champs Lg qualifiers didnt even get booked up in Torshavn... AIK Stockholm ended up in a very remote village hostel and the guys from Kosovo had to shack up in a Community Hall :lol: 

Just now, johanhentze said:

Tourism kicked off in Iceland in a big way only a few years ago.. the same is happening in the Faroe Islands now.. Ive never seen so many tourists up here. I would suggest you get yourself booked as soon as possible as all hotel beds get sold out in the summertime. Teams that came up here for the Europa/Champs Lg qualifiers didnt even get booked up in Torshavn... AIK Stockholm ended up in a very remote village hostel and the guys from Kosovo had to shack up in a Community Hall :lol: 

:lol:

I'll probably come for a week or so and do some hiking so I don't mind doing remote.

3 hours ago, Fred H Crawford said:

I think the J Jardine in the front row between Ralphie Brand and wee Bud is Sandy's twin Jamie who never made it past the third and reserve sides .

Would love to see this seasons team photo done in a similar style to those classic examples from the past .

Reminds me of the story Wee Wullie used to tell about Craig Brown asking "Mr Symon, why am I always in the third team"  to which Scott replied, "well son, that's because we don't have a 4th team."

6 hours ago, Fred H Crawford said:

Would love to see this seasons team photo done in a similar style to those classic examples from the past .

Then in 50yrs time, the youngsters on here can look back at it on some sort of space age forum and tell their grandkids about the team that featured the great Dalcio when we had him on loan as a kid. :lol:

13 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Probably didn't want to go but got moved on for cash because of his age and the club thought they had plenty of cover with some new faces, but the final of the 1967 ECWC proved we didn't, once Jim Forrest was bumped we were left wanting, ah the politics of football eh, proves that boards were as incompetent then and before as they are now and will be in the future. Ralph Brand and Butchers situation doesn't compare and yes Beck was known mostly as Tottie!

image.gif.dbfc47391ca074afec138be108ad964e.gif

10 hours ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

Probably didn't want to go but got moved on for cash because of his age and the club thought they had plenty of cover with some new faces, but the final of the 1967 ECWC proved we didn't, once Jim Forrest was bumped we were left wanting, ah the politics of football eh, proves that boards were as incompetent then and before as they are now and will be in the future. Ralph Brand and Butchers situation doesn't compare and yes Beck was known mostly as Tottie!

image.gif.dbfc47391ca074afec138be108ad964e.gif

What age was Ralphie when that happened? An old footballer back then was anyone over 29, changed days now.

I remember reading about the 1966 Scottish Cup Final and Jimmy Millar was referred to as "the old warhorse", and his age was given as 31.

13 hours ago, harlands plater said:

What age was Ralphie when that happened? An old footballer back then was anyone over 29, changed days now.

I remember reading about the 1966 Scottish Cup Final and Jimmy Millar was referred to as "the old warhorse", and his age was given as 31.

Ralphie was 31 approx when he was transferred, they probably jumped at the £30 k at the time, as boards do, blunder !image.gif.25894b4e9b0e4312d9fe8f0ef8536d7c.gif