Your first ever Rangers game?

Loyaleastend

I would need to ask my dad or my uncle, would have been late seventies.

Do vaguely remember getting taken to the Piggery when I was about seven or eight and it being the New Years day game and my dad putting me in front of one of the barriers that were scattered about in our end.

Thinking it was a draw but always remember when they cunts scored that there was no sound then a low kind of hushed cheering. Weird.

Remember my mum raging as well because I was getting taken over there at that age and on New Year as well.?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, LOL153 No Surrender!!! said:

I would need to ask my dad or my uncle, would have been late seventies.

Do vaguely remember getting taken to the Piggery when I was about seven or eight and it being the New Years day game and my dad putting me in front of one of the barriers that were scattered about in our end.

Thinking it was a draw but always remember when they cunts scored that there was no sound then a low kind of hushed cheering. Weird.

Remember my mum raging as well because I was getting taken over there at that age and on New Year as well.?

The staircases at the old Rangers end in the piggery were a death trap, I'm amazed no one got killed in that dump

7 minutes ago, Loyaleastend said:

Some fantastic replies to read here, I remember as a young man being in awe of the goal kicks of the Girvan Lighthouse, the man could hit the ball higher than the stadium

That brought back memories I remember feeling exact same about big Peter, mind you I was awe of most of that team, halcyon days, summers that lasted for ever, two trebles in three seasons, everybody in my class supported Rangers, remember us all walking home from school singing Rangers songs.

Ah nostalgia ain't what it used to be...

16 minutes ago, Loyaleastend said:

kplfishtank, I mind the first game v the filth on a sunday,  I felt a bit strange about it too,  it remember  wondering   surely  football didn't  matter  more than religion , which back then was actually a  valid way of thinking.

You mean league or cup?  Remember winning league cup final on a Sunday and waiting for the pubs to reopen at 7 lol. 

1973 centenary game v Arsenal when I was 6 is the first I remember going to,I think there was something like 80,000 at the game that night.

The walk up the steps to the terracing seem to take forever but that moment when i finally got to the top of the steps and saw the park for the first time was glorious.

I remember being at tarrier game at Ibrox 1-1. Alexi Mickhilichenko scored, lob I've bonner I'm  sure, think Collins scored for them.

Aparently my old mans pal took me v Hearts and that was my first game but don't remember it. Neither does he cause he's a mad jake. Only Hearts game I remember was 1-0 at Ibrox Charlie Miller scored 1st minute but was years after.

25th September 1976 - evening game under the floodlights.

Rangers 3 Clydebank 3 - man of the match that night was the Clydebank no.7. Think he was called Davie Cooper! Gave John Greig a hell of a time in this game and the return leg. Only thing was Big John finally caught up with him in the play off at Firhill and put him on the trackside twice that night - lol

Magical seeing the stadium for the first time and the shirts seemed the blueist of the blue. Like most others have said i was addicted right there and then. 

Around 1975 v Patrick in a Glasgow cup tie. We won 3-2 and I was hooked! Remember my first old firm game shortly after that. Walking up Copland Rd to the old Rangers end. The noise was deafening and the hairs on the back of my neck were standing up. I was instantly hooked on hating those whining scum bastards!

22 minutes ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

25th September 1976 - evening game under the floodlights.

Rangers 3 Clydebank 3 - man of the match that night was the Clydebank no.7. Think he was called Davie Cooper! Gave John Greig a hell of a time in this game and the return leg. Only thing was Big John finally caught up with him in the play off at Firhill and put him on the trackside twice that night - lol

Magical seeing the stadium for the first time and the shirts seemed the blueist of the blue. Like most others have said i was addicted right there and then. 

I still get the same tingle every time I get to the top of the stairs and see the park.

Absolutely no idea.  Early 70's.  Spending ages outside looking at all the wee badges to buy to put on your scarf.  Inside the stadium moving around the big terrace taking in the different views.  Somehow drawn towards the front even though it was a shit view,  but quickly learning you had to get a safety helmet against the bottles thrown from the 'Derry'.   A happy time for me as a boy,  but not much club success.  But success did come,  so I can handle where we are now.

So make sure you take your kid, neighbour, friend etc to the game,  so they can enjoy our future success

10 minutes ago, As I Was Walking.... said:

1 Jan 1983 V them at Ibrox got beat 1-2  was in the mainstand near the directors box

Don't remember who scored just Kenny Black hitting the post from about 6 inches out when he should have scored

Think Andy Kennedy scored volley at back post in front of Copland. 

I played with Andy at school football.