"Just Another Saturday"

The Widow's Son

3 hours ago, Ivybank said:

Got this on DVD , always put it on before we play the scum,gets the blood stirring,your right it's a world which is sadly disappeared ,when we could walk the streets proudly and had our people in positions of power,now it's the opposite I'm afraid. The muirhill band was made up it was actually a band from maryhill that was used in the filming,and their lodge as well.john Morrison sat on the fence when it came to show his allegiance,he appeared in a few things after this .a lot of the actors went on to appear in take the high road. As loyaleastend said it tried to show us up as cavemen hidden agenda from mcdougal

Good friend of mine knows Jon Morrison quite well and he is , in fact , a bear . He claims to support Morton , though I think that's more to do with getting less hassle in life . 

1 hour ago, GM63 said:

There was also Just a Boys Game, that starred Frankie Miller and Hector Nichol (I think). I quite enjoyed both. Didn't  Connolly and the guy that played the main character also do another play together?

Just a Boys Game was a classic . The other one you're thinking of I think was called The Elephants Graveyard . 

As others have said they were all in a series of Play for Today ( or something like that ) . A shame it's no longer on , as there were some great shows on it .

Watched "The Elephant's Graveyard" a few weeks ago and enjoyed it too.  Set in Greenock with Morrison and Connolly - no other characters.  A friend of mine confirms that it was quite realistic for 1970's west of Scotland.  Wonder what Scottish drama looks like now - nouvelle cuisine, organic yoga mats and decaf cappuccinos down Largs way.

3 minutes ago, The Widow's Son said:

Watched "The Elephant's Graveyard" a few weeks ago and enjoyed it too.  Set in Greenock with Morrison and Connolly - no other characters.  A friend of mine confirms that it was quite realistic for 1970's west of Scotland.  Wonder what Scottish drama looks like now - nouvelle cuisine, organic yoga mats and decaf cappuccinos down Largs way.

Is this available on youtube mate?

Might give it a watch tonight if it is.

13 hours ago, CoatbridgeBear said:

It's no a play it's a film, and aye it's no bad.

It was originally a "Play for today" which I'm sure was a series of plays the BBC did back in the 70s way before the Mhanky Mhob got their foot in the door! 

Should have said their feet into everything!

The house scenes early in the programme were definitely filmed in Drumchapel, Achmore road, fasque place and John morrisons house was in kendoon ave, the play is part of a cd collection which also included just a boys game, and elephants graveyard all by Peter mcdougal, all of which are a great watch. 

26 minutes ago, the old guard said:

The house scenes early in the programme were definitely filmed in Drumchapel, Achmore road, fasque place and John morrisons house was in kendoon ave, the play is part of a cd collection which also included just a boys game, and elephants graveyard all by Peter mcdougal, all of which are a great watch. 

They're all on YouTube, I'm going to watch some tonight with a sentimental tear in my eye.

The "Fenian Alley" bit was actually filmed in Edinburgh, as so many of Glasgow's old tenements had been demolished and used as infill for the old Queen's Dock, before the SECC was built on the site.

I think the early scenes as he was going for the bus were filmed in Cranhill.

It's actually a very accurate record of how life was in Glasgow in the early 70s, although the message of the play was slanted against the OO and PUL culture, not a surprise even back then. From what I recall Peter McDougall was in the OO himself in his youth.