McLeish claims we aren't fit enough

K.A.I

Just now, Leeds_Bear said:

MOH - the bastion of truth. I've not heard anyone else saying anything like that. Pedro had the players in after two weeks off doing double sessions, MOH had to do extra training because he was punted to the reserves for lack of application and ability. 

I don't think taking ten minutes to wake up in the second half is anything to do with fitness, it's concentration and the expectation of playing for a club like Rangers. You need to be at the races every minute of the full 90 - some players can never or take time to adjust to that.

Miller said it as well as other players that it wasn't  intense enough but they had sorted it out with the coaches.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Leeds_Bear said:

MOH - the bastion of truth. I've not heard anyone else saying anything like that. Pedro had the players in after two weeks off doing double sessions, MOH had to do extra training because he was punted to the reserves for lack of application and ability. 

I don't think taking ten minutes to wake up in the second half is anything to do with fitness, it's concentration and the expectation of playing for a club like Rangers. You need to be at the races every minute of the full 90 - some players can never or take time to adjust to that.

That's still a very strong thing for a player to come out with all the same. We don't look as fit as we did in the recent past, the semi final at Hampden two seasons ago, we were by far the fitter of the two sides.

I totally agree with him regarding fitness and its just one of the concern I have about Pedro. He even stated in an interview that fitness isn't so important. Well in fuckin Scotland Football it is. He wants us to play a pressing game and its just not happening enough. We're slow at closing down, second to loose balls and our new signings are taking an age to get up to speed. If our players aren't fit enough then tired bodies make tired minds and that could be why we switch off so much. Fitness was always something our players had in abundance grinding it out for the full 90.

2 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

We did have four subs though; so did they right enough, but still!

Alves and John were injured. Are we saying they arent fit? Alves is a fitness fanatic by all accounts. Pena was always only going to get 70 minutes and Morelos had run himself ragged and was subbed on the 90th minute.

Its a rent a quote coming up with a quote and is wide of the mark

3 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

O'Halloran could have helped keep himself fit if he turned up for the U20's. Fukn tosser.

2 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

Alves and John were injured. Are we saying they arent fit? Alves is a fitness fanatic by all accounts. Pena was always only going to get 70 minutes and Morelos had run himself ragged and was subbed on the 90th minute.

Its a rent a quote coming up with a quote and is wide of the mark

I'm not implying that the players they replaced not that fit, more that four pair of fresh legs would have made a significant contribution to our energy levels. The extra sub rule was quite a gift judging by the condition of Morelos at the end of the 90; he would have struggled with extra time I think.

1 minute ago, Smile said:

Miller said it as well as other players that it wasn't  intense enough but they had sorted it out with the coaches.

Miller didn't say that. Who else said it?

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/1526192/kenny-miller-pedro-caixinha-michael-ohalloran-war-of-words-Rangers/

PEDRO'S TRAINING TOPS 

Rangers hitman Kenny Miller backs Pedro Caixinha in the war of words with Michael O’Halloran

The winger launched a scathing attack in SunSport claiming Caixinha lacks communication skills and his training was undemanding

By Andy Devlin

KENNY MILLER has jumped to the defence of Pedro Caixinha after Michael O’Halloran’s bitter blast.

Caixinha sent winger O’Halloran on loan to St Johnstone and told him he would never play for Rangers again.

Kenny Miller backed Pedro Caixinha after Michael O’Halloran’s rap

O’Halloran launched a scathing attack on Caixinha in SunSport claiming he lacks communication skills and his training was undemanding.

But Ibrox ace Miller has backed Portuguese coach Caixinha in the war of words.

He said: “The training methods are pretty similiar to everywhere else I’ve been anyway.

“Listen, everyone has their own opinions on how it should be done at a football club. How you should train, how you shouldn’t train.

“At our place, if you are not playing, a lot of lads will do extra work.

“Some methods, some systems, suit some people and don’t suit others. You can’t keep everyone happy.”

O’Halloran, who also revealed he learned of his Ibrox axe by reading about it in the newspapers, is one of four Gers players Caixinha let join other clubs on loan this summer as he rebuilt his squad.

Joe Dodoo is at Charlton Athletic, Andy Halliday is in Azerbaijan with Gabala FK and Harry Forrester is at Wimbledon.

And Miller added: “These players are out on loan for a reason.

“The manager has made his decision and Michael wasn’t playing, but it’s good to see he’s doing well at St Johnstone.

“It never quite worked out for him in the 18 months he was here, but he is back at a club where he is comfortable. It’s a place he knows well and they know him well.

“Joe Dodoo also scored for Charlton at the weekend, so that’s good to see.”

Just now, Turnberry18 said:

I'm not implying that the players they replaced, more that four pair of fresh legs would have made a significant contribution to our energy levels. The extra sub rule was quite a gift judging by the condition of Morelos at the end of the 90; he would have struggled with extra time I think.

at the 90 minute mark i thought they would all have struggled at the extra time. But they came back out with a lot of energy. 

4 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

That's still a very strong thing for a player to come out with all the same. We don't look as fit as we did in the recent past, the semi final at Hampden two seasons ago, we were by far the fitter of the two sides.

I understand where you're coming from but I'd argue back then the teams were level pegging in quality - we saw more of the ball, therefore had to do less running and therefore tired less quickly.

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

Full story on the Record website if anyone wants to read it saying Pedros sids lack fitness and it told against celtic 

I'm not sure about that one tbh it's nothing something that stood out. I usually agree with the criticisms of Pedros teams but not really on board with this one - there was a lot more obvious failings than fitness namely lack of ability and pitch awareness 

I've said this for a while, we tend to start gard and fast but drop levels after the first half an hour, think it's been a frequent feature of our season so far, that being said I didn't think we looked great fitness wise last season either.

6 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I dont see any significant issue with fitness and its worth pointing out neither did anybody else till Alex decides to pop up with this. If fitness was an issue we would have noticed it - and we have just played  210 minutes within 4 days.

I had thought about this over the weekend. because we haven't looked as sharp in the second half in many matches; maybe it's unfair to include the weekend's match alongside the other matches, because it's a very different game, but still, it happened again. I do think it's something I'll naturally look at in the next few matches, but a pattern looks to be there between the first and second half of our matches. 

6 minutes ago, Boybluesy said:

O'Halloran could have helped keep himself fit if he turned up for the U20's. Fukn tosser.

Exactly, MOH was crap before Pedro came and crap after. He could have taken the route of Windass (regardless on your thoughts on quality of Windass) and worked hard to earn his place in the team. Granted we don't know the ins and outs of it all but for me he was here for a payday and couldn't give two fucks about our club. A true professional would have turned up for the u20s - regardless. Says it all. 

Just now, cushynumber said:

I dont see any significant issue with fitness and its worth pointing out neither did anybody else till Alex decides to pop up with this. If fitness was an issue we would have noticed it - and we have just played  210 minutes within 4 days.

It's a fair point you make, but because it has come from an ex manager it will inevitably become something look at in the next few games.

12 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

MOH LOATHES Pedro.

He's still sour over the whole U20s thing and will do anything to make himself look better in all of this. If that means lying through his teeth, then that's what he'll do (again).

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Yeah. IIRC, I shared an article on here back when this first came out that mentioned how Messi swore by Mate tea for the caffeine boost before games and training.

I always though tea and coffee were diuretics but in moderate amounts its completely negligible apparently.

A recent UK study of regular male coffee drinkers found no difference in hydration levels between those who drank four 200ml cups of coffee a day and those who drank the same amount of water.

8 minutes ago, The Dude said:

MOH LOATHES Pedro.

He's still sour over the whole U20s thing and will do anything to make himself look better in all of this. If that means lying through his teeth, then that's what he'll do (again).

I've even wondered if we were doing something wrong in the dressing room between the two halves, because we haven't been as sharp in that initial part after the break during games. Anyone who has played football, or done any exercise will testify how hard it can be to restart. Try running for half an hour, take a rest, and get back up and do it again; it's ten times harder initially.

3 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

I always though tea and coffee were diuretics but in moderate amounts its completely negligible apparently.

A recent UK study of regular male coffee drinkers found no difference in hydration levels between those who drank four 200ml cups of coffee a day and those who drank the same amount of water.

I read something which said (for athletes) 3mg of caffeine per KG of bodyweight is the ideal amount to get a boost from it without it having negative side effects 

1 minute ago, Turnberry18 said:

I've even wondered if we were doing something wrong in the dressing room between the two halves, because we haven't as sharp in that initial part after the break during games. Anyone who has played football, or done any exercise will testify how hard it can be to restart. Try running for half an hour, take a rest, and get back up and do it again; it's ten times harder initially.

This is a fair point actually. Personally think there should be low-resistance bikes or similar just to keep them ticking over during the break. I do wonder how much mentality plays into it too. Players come out and -not necessarily half-arse it - aren't switched on for the game getting back underway

25 minutes ago, The Dude said:

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/performance/nutrition/big-match-coffee-vs-tea

Coffee and Jaffa Cakes are better but tea is actually quite good for footballers at HT.

That's interesting for own experience. I do early morning cycling before work, and went back on early morning coffee, but I noticed after doing so that my heart was pounding more than normal. I kind of stopped drinking the coffee before doing that and didn't feel that effect again.