My first Rangers game

Nickoo

2 minutes ago, Nickoo said:

No mate, from Birmingham

Bit of a late reply:lol:

Wasn't trying to be a smart arse or that, it's just a guy i know has his sister and family coming up next week from Portsmouth and her husband is looking forward to his first ever trip to Ibrox.

1 hour ago, plumbGER said:

Bit of a late reply:lol:

Wasn't trying to be a smart arse or that, it's just a guy i know has his sister and family coming up next week from Portsmouth and her husband is looking forward to his first ever trip to Ibrox.

I thought you just took a wild guess at where I was from haha

I'm pretty excited mate, been a Ger fan for a long time

10 minutes ago, Nickoo said:

I thought you just took a wild guess at where I was from haha

I'm pretty excited mate, been a Ger fan for a long time

Nah, thought it was him because i was telling his brother in law i post on here a lot.

Enjoy your trip and hopefully the team put on a good performsnce for you, club deck loyal here.

I honestly can't remember.

My dad and and uncle were serious Gers supporters/football fans (gave then an excuse to disappear from 11 o clock on a Saturday and not arrive home till 6 PM, 7PM or if they weren't looking after me, (and if they weren't looking after me 8PM. 9PM, 10PM .........) all the time betting. drinking, popping in to the game for 90 minutes, then drinking, eating fish/blackpuddding supper, drinking, then taking me home or......drinking, drinking, drinking till staggering home at 11 PM.

This was the sixties so probably 65 or 66 my first game as a 6 or 7 year old. The Gers fraternity were more solid back then, always looking out for each other (except fot the occasional barneys between the Partick, Govan and Drumchapel mobs on the Copland Road terrace to let off steam.....) Had probably been to hundreds of games and well looked after at the game or in pubs  afterward, as a young yin I'd have a lemonade tucked in a corner of a bar, safe and sound amongst a sea of decent Gers fans

Probably seen us play every other team in Scotland apart form "ra cellic", as was not allowed to go to those games till my first auld firm in 1973 (aged 13). (Always consider myself the luckiest of Gers fans to watch big Tam toe poke the ball over the line, effectively setting us on a whole new course of success). 

So in spite of the long answer above, the simple answer is "I don't know", but I am sure it was magic the first time, and that feeling of magic never disapeared, no matter the circumstances. 

Arriving at Ibrox or an away ground from then on to watch the Ranger was not far off entering the kingdom of heaven. Pure magic. 

Mine was v Hibs at Ibrox think it was 1974. I remember sitting in my dad's Austin Maxi outside the Viking in Ruggie while he sank a few with his mates and came out periodically with crisps and coke for me! It was great to see guys like Greig, Forsyth, Doddy, Parlane etc. in the flesh. I was asked who i thought was the best player and my response of "Bobby McKean" met with roars of approval.

48 minutes ago, the old guard said:

Parkhead 1980ish, Alex Miller scored a 25 yarder in the last minute.  we beat the cunts 2.1. Wonderful memory for a 12 year old. Think Jim bett scored the other. 

You are spot on mate, August 1980 if I remember correctly although 25 yarder is a bit of an exaggeration but I can't blame you for that. One of four occasions watching Rangers when I have felt absolutely fucking exhilarated. Lovenkrands winner at Hampden, Helicopter Sunday and Fiorentina. Many more wonderful days/nights but these stick out. 

My first Rangers game was v Dundee United at Ibrox when I was 6 years old. It was on the 24th or 25th of October 2004 and it finished 1-1 with them scoring a fk last minute I believe. I remember shouting to Dado Prso when he was defending a corner and he turned around so six year old me was buzzing.

I remember the almost heart drop feeling as I walked through to take my seat in the broomloan stand.

Visited Ibrox every few seasons after emigration, less so these days.  It wouldn't matter where I sat or stood since I only cared about being inside the stadium.  Took my children too and although they don't really care for football, they knew it was important to me and indulged me.  I liked to arrive early and wander down PRW although I don't stop in at pubs these days.  Seem to remember a lodge social club somewhere in the vicinity. Walked all around the stadium watching the the fans get ready, listening to the songs.  Great times. 

On 02/11/2017 at 10:00, Inigo said:

Funnily enough, I don't remember anything about the approach to the stadium on my first game. Walking into the arena is what's stayed with me.

Always remember the excitement when I got to edmiston drive and seen this sight

IMG_5978.JPG

20 hours ago, plumbGER said:

Nah, thought it was him because i was telling his brother in law i post on here a lot.

Enjoy your trip and hopefully the team put on a good performsnce for you, club deck loyal here.

Club Deck good seats? its where im sitting

5 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

I love it mate, bit of a trek up the stairs and not a lot of legroom if you are lanky.

Great view though, i've been in club deck 6 for a good few years.

Sounds pretty good seats, I know the views meant to be top draw. Without sounding like an idiot, I presume you can wear what you want? Just when ever I've sat anywhere 'club' different rules apply.

2 minutes ago, Nickoo said:

Sounds pretty good seats, I know the views meant to be top draw. Without sounding like an idiot, I presume you can wear what you want? Just when ever I've sat anywhere 'club' different rules apply.

Wear whatever you want mate, the less green the better:lol:

If you have a seat near the aisles i would suggest wrapping up if it is windy, you catch some draughts off the door, other than that it is well enclosed.

2 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Wear whatever you want mate, the less green the better:lol:

If you have a seat near the aisles i would suggest wrapping up if it is windy, you catch some draughts off the door, other than that it is well enclosed.

Cheers fella, yea I fully agree with that.  Don't worry, I'm putting a few layers on

On 31/10/2017 at 21:18, drewgardiner88 said:

Bringing my wee boy to his first game this sat... He is only 3 and a half so don't know how he will get on!!

He will be fine mate. 

I took my two year old son earlier in the season and he's now getting a half season ticket from Santa. 

Get them in early, they are the future of our club. 

1 hour ago, bluenose244 said:

He will be fine mate. 

I took my two year old son earlier in the season and he's now getting a half season ticket from Santa. 

Get them in early, they are the future of our club. 

This

i started taking my boy when he was 4 I think, he gets to more games than me now. 

He's 20 this year and honestly I still love going to games with him