Harry Cochrane

backup

Youth football is a strange one. I used to coach kids at under 11s level. One kid was immense, genuinely should make it. Went to Hearts gave him the trackie all that nonsense. Let him go 6 weeks later as he was too small :facepalm:. Kid could’ve ran rings round 15 year olds if he wanted. 

We need to give kids a chance at that age IMO. Letting them go for trivial reasons like height etc is just idiotic in football these days. We need to give them a chance until they’re about 16, letting them go at 10-13 is just stupid but keeping them over 16 if they haven’t shown anything is also a risk. 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Turnberry18 said:

That's an interesting view, and one I think maybe needs clear up. Maybe first and foremost Auchenhowie is what you say it is. I find it hard to believe it was the original vision of Advocaat though.

Of course it was.

It's hard to attract the type of players we were signing under Advocaat when you tell them we're training in a local cricket club.

Better training facilities attract better players. They spend more time there than the stadium.

2 minutes ago, Sasa'onlyPLGsuccess'Papac said:

Of course it was.

It's hard to attract the type of players we were signing under Advocaat when you tell them we're training in a local cricket club.

Better training facilities attract better players. They spend more time there than the stadium.

I think he wanted that, and something along the lines of an academy. I don't imagine he would have one without the other. The size of the complex was very important, and for that purpose I'd assume.

9 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Youth football is a strange one. I used to coach kids at under 11s level. One kid was immense, genuinely should make it. Went to Hearts gave him the trackie all that nonsense. Let him go 6 weeks later as he was too small :facepalm:. Kid could’ve ran rings round 15 year olds if he wanted. 

We need to give kids a chance at that age IMO. Letting them go for trivial reasons like height etc is just idiotic in football these days. We need to give them a chance until they’re about 16, letting them go at 10-13 is just stupid but keeping them over 16 if they haven’t shown anything is also a risk. 

I'm sure Ferguson was let go at one point as well because he was too small and there hasn't been a better Scottish player since :lol: 

8 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

As you say it’s just such a difficult game making those decisions though other than the very best who stand head and shoulders above the rest . Even though it was years ago when I think about the best players when I was a kid they didn’t amount to much and the couple  who had a career weren’t even worthy of a mention , it was attitude more than anything else that got them through.

There are always going to be mistakes Because clubs have to make decisions, making that on size or physicality  though is certainly a risk .

4 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I think he wanted that, and something along the lines of an academy. I don't imagine he would have one without the other. The size of the complex was very important, and for that purpose I'd assume.

Rangers are already building a 10 million youth academy in Milngavie, something that was a condition of his signing a two-year extension to his contract.

Read more at: https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/Rangers-welcome-orange-blossom-1-481043

Just now, backup said:

Rangers are already building a 10 million youth academy in Milngavie, something that was a condition of his signing a two-year extension to his contract.

Read more at: https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/Rangers-welcome-orange-blossom-1-481043

That link's not working. It would be useful to read though.

1 minute ago, Turnberry18 said:

Don't want to go off topic but let's be honest academies are a dream world for most clubs.

Ideally every team wants home grown players. But it's impossible to judge 95% of 11-15 year olds. 

Now you have greedy agents jumping in using the young boys for money rather than helping their careers.

Look at Man Utd. Still bang on about the class of 92 cos it was literally a fluke having those players at the one time. If they were that good academies they'd be producing them every year.

My personal opinion is professional clubs should'nt have players under 15. They should be allowed to play with local amateur clubs and a bit of proper scouting should be done then you can develop them from 16+. 

As I said earlier it's impossible to determine how a 12 year will develop.

2 hours ago, Elfideldo said:

It is interesting the talk about Harry and it also shows how it is so different playing for Hearts and playing for Rangers. When he left Rangers I know a few of the scouts and coaches were disappointed as I was. I take an interest in any player released by Rangers, especially if it was one I thought we should be keeping.

Hearts more than any other club promote their young players through the age groups, Rangers have kind of dabbled but it is not the norm.

Could I see any current Rangers under 17's playing in the first team now, the answer would be no. Of the 17's only Danny Finlayson has played anywhere near regularly at 20's

Hearts are really well set up even at youth level I remember even a good 15 year back my son faced them in a game they were run like a proper first team the organisation they had and coaches were above anything I had seen even within the Scottish Fa at the time.

Just now, Rfc52 said:

Aye but that doesn't fit. Get with bawsbursts plan here 

as was Walker - who as i recall could barely pass the ball, kept giving possession away and was subbed just after half time. They both done very well against cellic, but i would have completely written them off based on the performances against us.

Just now, Sasa'onlyPLGsuccess'Papac said:

Don't want to go off topic but let's be honest academies are a dream world for most clubs.

Ideally every team wants home grown players. But it's impossible to judge 95% of 11-15 year olds. 

Now you have greedy agents jumping in using the young boys for money rather than helping their careers.

Look at Man Utd. Still bang on about the class of 92 cos it was literally a fluke having those players at the one time. If they were that good academies they'd be producing them every year.

My personal opinion is professional clubs should'nt have players under 15. They should be allowed to play with local amateur clubs and a bit of proper scouting should be done then you can develop them from 16+. 

As I said earlier it's impossible to determine how a 12 year will develop.

Are there clubs that achieve something along these lines, those that have a size and expectation for success such as ours? I wouldn't mind seeing where this kind of thing works.

2 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

as was Walker - who as i recall could barely pass the ball, kept giving possession away and was subbed just after half time. They both done very well against cellic, but i would have completely written them off based on the performances against us.

Walker I've seen three times this season and he's been rotten in them all.

Cochrane's had two good games in the three, and wasn't great against us.

53 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

It seems in Scotland that they want 6ft tall hammer throwers only.

And whilst McCrorie at that height is good, you have to also look at kids that are small but skillful. Messi isnt exactly a giant. 

(Whatever happened to your starlet?)

9 minutes ago, backup said:

I very much doubt you are,I am certain your trolling is a result of paranoid personalty disorder,goodbye.

5 accounts later and you're calling a boy who follows this club up and down the country a troll.

Get to fuck ya midden