This time next year will we be in better shape and challenging for the title.

backup

Hibs, hearts and killie have all improved. Aberdeen can comfortably beat everybody else in the league but for us and Celtic. celtic have got worse but are still cruising it. We have got marginally better at least on paper, but McGinn can still come to Ibrox yesterday and be confident he is the best midfielder on the park. We are still a bit better than average because largely our midfield is no more than a bit better than average.

Yes we have injuries in that dept - but is there anybody there - even those injured -  that knows they can walk onto a park at Ibrox and boss the game? I would suggest no.

23 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Disagree with the parts in bold.

Solely have to look at us and the scum results when the judging if there is any credibility in the 'should be top of the league or close to them' and that includes refereeing decisions. At this moment should we win our game in hand against Partick we would be 11 points behind them.

In every game they've dropped points in it's been fully deserved bar one game against Hibs, in-fact I would argue the scum are around 6 points better off on poor decisions ALONE. 

Hide contents

Partick denied stonewall penalty in injury time - 2 points gained

Given a penalty that never was at Motherwell heading to injury time - 1 point gained

Dundee denied clear penalty late on - 1 point gained

Clear penalty not given to us - 2 points gained

That's without talking about how lucky they were to snatch draws against Hibs, Us and ST Johnstone at home. Although they blew a win at Easter Road.

Genuinely do believe on balance the scum should be 8 points worse off. 

Then look at some of our dropped points

Hide contents

Hibs home - 3 points lost due to bad officiating

Hearts home - 2 points dropped due to wrong offside call

Killie home - 2 points dropped due to wrong red card(although should still see it out!)

Partick away - 2 points dropped due to ref not sending player off for shocking red card offence

Scum home - 1 point dropped, Clear penalty 

Hibs home - 1 point dropped, Never a penalty 

11 points better off we should be IMHO 

Know people will say can't blame the refs etc, but the amount of points won for them and lost for us this season on decisions alone is around a 17 points swing. It's not a small turn around of like 2-5 points here! But then again nobody can say for certain pens would have been scored or red cards given would have resulted in more points.

We've been horrible in games against Hamilton, St Johnstone, Killie, Dundee etc and fully deserved 0 points out of those games, but even ignoring those, the swing in points is absolutely massive and this is coming from someone who has never bought into the ref aspect. However this season alone it's been so blatantly obvious!

Two Hibs were because we fucked it completely, playing Miller in midfield was the main reason we got beat. It was a penalty yesterday, very soft though.

If it was a game of championship manager then yes we would however its not. We have a number of issues

- Manager who exactly will be in the dugout next season. At present I can see it being Murty still not because of results on the park but because the board like him and it saves the clamour for more money for new signings. Given that the board took 6 weeks to finally approach McInnes with him being their number 1 choice I am glad he was not given the gig.

- Europe and whilst it is looking like the Europa league getting to the group stages will be extremely hard meaning that we will not have extra revenue

- Squad whilst some will depart due to the ending of their contract still others will remain like Alves. We also have the matter of about 5 loan players added in January and whilst we may choose to keep some of them it will not be like adding to the squad. I think Aberdeen are above us not because they have a better squad than us but because they have a better squad than the majority of the league and they do not have the same pressure to perform in front of 50k every fortnight. Players like windass are not thriving on that

- Money and obviously the directors will be hoping for the same uptake in season books in the summer there is no guarantee. There will also be a shortfall already stated of about 3-4 m so unless extra revenue is generated this will be diverted from the squad.

The main thing is that the squad are short of players that are used to winning. Very few of them have won much with their previous clubs so I think they lack the mentality to fight every game over a season which is required. So we really need a manger who has experience of that who is within our budget and can operate within the confines of scottish football. 

7 minutes ago, gj923 said:

I think Aberdeen are above us not because they have a better squad than us but because they have a better squad than the majority of the league and they do not have the same pressure to perform in front of 50k every fortnight.

This is definitely true, also because other teams don't put in the same effort against Aberdeen.

We're just too feeble, mentally and physically, to find a challenge within a year.

Quote from the Rangers website following the Hibs game......"The Ibrox gaffer believes his side played well in the second half in particular, and wants them to maintain a level of performance through every match they play."

It's not the first time we've heard Murty observe on the need for more consistency.   The thing is though that as Manager it is, imo, a fundamentally big part of his job to provide the leadership, management skill, coaching ability, direction and a 'get it done' way of working that radically reduces the inconsistencies and radically improves the results.   So far he is not achieving this having been at the managerial helm when far too many valuable points have been dropped, and yet more yesterday against Hibs.

He is a rookie manager so can he learn and adapt quickly enough to find ways of inspiring the team to far better levels of consistency in winning games for there to be a credible prospect of fielding a proper Rangers title challenging side next season?    

Like Warburton he talks a lot in terms of post-match analysis of what went wrong then dives into the generalities of the manager and players needing to do more to fix the problems.    Analysis, with yet more of the same sort of analysis after each failing, simply demonstrate that he sees the problem but is as yet singularly unable to fix it.    In doing so he stacks up the reasons why it may yet become necessary for the board to replace him if the Club is to somehow find a way out of just being a big club 'also ran' for the foreseeable seasons ahead.

The cure for improving match-winning consistency and as a result producing a proper Rangers title challenging side is a lot more difficult than the diagnosis of the inconsistency problem that Murty so often refers to.    It's his job to come up with the cure.  But so far there is very little I see in his ways of working or in the results that make me think he knows enough about what needs to be done to produce the cure.  

If he did know, we'd have seen a very different game against Hibs and not finding ourselves reading about the 'if only' and 'lets take the positives' stuff he refers to in the website article. 

Hammers don't talk, hammers don't look for excuses, hammers don't analyse til the cows come home.........hammers just do.   To get rid of the inconsistencies there needs to be a whole lot more 'doing' and a whole lot less post match rear view mirror comments stuff.     I suggest we should be hearing a whole lot less talking about striving to be better and seeing a whole lot more by way of successful outcomes to games.    If he can't achieve that this season then quite why we should be in a better place to compete properly for the title next season under the same learner-manager is not clear to me.   It'd seem to me to be more likely to be more of the same with the unwelcome status of seemingly permanent also-ran big club status.   That is what the board risk happening having decided to experiment with in appointing a rookie, inexperienced manager.   They have bet that he will turn out alright and that this will happen soon enough.    It's quite a gamble they have taken on behalf of the fans. 

2 minutes ago, Smile said:

To have any chance of challenging we will have to bin this board.

Totally agree with you, however I still believe of we had managed to bag a proper manager after Pedro left we would be in with a genuine chance of the title this season.  Unfortunately as you just said that lies with the board and until they have gone I fear this will continually be the case

Just now, rabc10000 said:

Totally agree with you, however I still believe of we had managed to bag a proper manager after Pedro left we would be in with a genuine chance of the title this season.  Unfortunately as you just said that lies with the board and until they have gone I fear this will continually be the case

I think that's the most galling thing they are faltering and we are not getting close enough to apply any real pressure.

1 minute ago, Smile said:

I think that's the most galling thing they are faltering and we are not getting close enough to apply any real pressure.

If they cunts make it 10 then this will be the season we look back at what could have been. I noticed both their cbs went off injured yesterday as well and they have injuries piling up and really think they are their for the taking. It's sickening to think we should be so much closer but yet so far off the pace 

9 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

Like Warburton he talks a lot in terms of post-match analysis of what went wrong then dives into the generalities of the manager and players needing to do more to fix the problems. 

And like Warburton, he can give the impression of having swallowed the 'Big Boys Book of Public Speaking', trotting out those meaningless generalities as if it's going to be of any use to the players.

Too much talk, not enough basic coaching, far too few reminders of who they are playing for.

I thought that until yesterday but having doubts 

we have good players who were technically better than the Hibs shite yesterday but we’ve no leaders or winners on the park that’s the difference. 

We didn’t even play bad yesterday but we seriously lack something in the middle of the pitch. 

Tactics, team selection and talent wise we are ok but we aren’t strong enough and get bullied.

Lennon isn’t even a good manager but he sets his midfield up to be bullies and strong mentally 

We've got some good players, some limited players. We've had that mix in the past, however they we're not so easily bullied. I'm not sure how we suddenly become a consistent enough side though. 

Far too weak in the middle of the park, for my liking for a start. We must improve our home form too. 

All fairly obvious points but still fairly unclear how we achieve them.

we need a good manager,another three or four good players,

and we may manage to finish second.

I'm yet to be convinced. The squad quality might be slightly improving but we still arent showing anything like league challenging performances. Lack of consistency and failure to go on a decent winning run of games will not see us win anything. Lots of improvement all round needed 

The one thing that has been an issue through Warburton, Pedro & Murty is that they think that they can play the tactics that they want without any thoughts on who we play. The only one out the 3 that tried to change it up during games was Pedro especially his 3 subs at half time in one of his first games. When you play a team like Hibs you know that the battle has to be won in midfield either by changing our formation or change of personnel. Also game management is something that Murty doesn't seem to have. Cost us against Kilmarnock and also on Saturday we started the 2nd half well but after about 10 mins there was a dip in performance & also atmosphere and thats when the subs should have been made. When they did come the atmosphere increased which then must feed on to the players. It seems obvious when sitting in the stands so why dont managers see the same issues we can.

Also if we knew that Wilson possibly might have been leaving why did we not bring in another center back. Bates has been ok but he will not be the answer for us to go and win the league. This must be addressed in the summer.

If we do eventually get everyone fit it is going to be interesting who will get into the midfield positions as McCrorie played well in that position and people will no doubt want Docherty to come in and Goss has played well. Then towards the end of the season we hopefully see Dorrans and Jack back which adds to the problem.

I would say that we are potentially only one more poor result away from missing out on 2nd place as this team dont have it in them to go a winning run of 8 or 9 games which we will need.