Frank de Boer or Michel Preud'homme

De Boer or Preud'homme?  

217 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you have?

• Frank de Boer
    • Michel Preud'homme
    • Other (Clarke etc)

2 hours ago, Rfc52 said:

Plg was one of Europe's hottest properties at the time and in charge of a shit hot Lyon side.

Where you a pup at the time he was appointed (not being funny)

Can’t remember exactly what age I was, but I do remember when news broke my first instinct was “who?”.

Le Guen was a gamble, he was talked up because of his record, but if my memory serves me right, his English wasn’t the best at the start. 

Pretty well every non-Scottish manager we have had has failed because they were unable to build a robust defensive unit that could cope with the requirements of Scottish football.  Despite an excellent couple of years, even Advocaat failed for this reason.

1 minute ago, gersandy said:

Can’t remember exactly what age I was, but I do remember when news broke my first instinct was “who?”.

Le Guen was a gamble, he was talked up because of his record, but if my memory serves me right, his English wasn’t the best at the start. 

Shouldn't be hard to figure out.

17 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

I don't really have much of an opinion on preudhomme, I know more about his playing career than his managerial one.

De Boer I'd be nervous but excited about, have said elsewhere that the dutch/Ajax approach is how I think football should be played. He's the highest risk by far, but the reward is likely to be better too if it does work out well. 

A Clarke type would guarantee second, I'm not convinced he's likely to win the league.

Playing Ajax type football will win us nothing in scotland. 

Most teams play 10 men behind the ball away and at home. Others kick us off the park.

At the moment we need to solidify second place. I’ve seen people mention Clarke, and I think a manager of that sort would do that.

From that position, we can mount a serious title challenge in a couple of years time. 

I’ll repeat, at this moment in time, we need to make sure were finishing second. Therefore, bringing a foreign guy in who will ultimately bring in some foreign players he knows, IS A GAMBLE. We could be sitting here in 2 seasons time in the exact same position shouting “MPH out!”. 

11 minutes ago, gersandy said:

It never worked out but that appointment at the time was sensational - it felt like a matter of time before he moved to one of Europe’s elite (btw Lyon were superb at the time) and we got him. 

PLG’s mistake was he tried to change to much to quick (most of which needed changed) had a spineless board behind him and the bit that made it hard to defend him was his signings were in the most were garbage.  I suppose when considering his time with us and what he achieved thereafter he wasn’t all it appeared (anywhere near) however  nobody could be blamed for thinking he was the real deal based on his time at Lyon. 

Edit: 20? It was rumoured for weeks (if not longer) that he was coming prior to his appointment, you must have been ahead of the game in abandoning the media.  

7 minutes ago, markem said:

It never worked out but that appointment at the time was sensational - it felt like a matter of time before he moved to one of Europe’s elite (btw Lyon were superb at the time) and we got him. 

PLG’s mistake was he tried to change to much to quick (most of which needed changed) had a spineless board behind him and the bit that made it hard to defend him was his signings were in the most were garbage.  I suppose when considering his time with us and what he achieved thereafter he wasn’t all it appeared (anywhere near) however  nobody could be blamed for thinking he was the real deal based on his time at Lyon. 

Edit: 20? It was rumoured for weeks (if not longer) that he was coming prior to his appointment, you must have been ahead of the game in abandoning the media.  

I can definitely remember being totally unaware of who he was when his name was first mentioned. 

We’re all entitled to our opinion, and mines is that appointing a foreign manager would be a mistake for us at this point. We need someone who:

1. Knows the league

2. Knows the history and culture of the club.

3. Can attract the type of player we need that can handle the Scottish league.

Steve Clarke, Robbie Neilson, Jack Ross.... 3 better suggestions than FDB or MPH.

The silence in the media over this is making me wonder what the board are up too. Usually something would come out. I have a feeling Murty has been told it won’t be him, with his actions when we were 2 down at the weekend sitting against the wall not saying much also not making a sub until we were forced into it. 

6 minutes ago, markem said:

I think even murray's harshest critics were impressed when PLG was confirmed , especially as the usual media suspects had been laughing at the rumours in the preceding weeks and were telling us that Billy Davies was the man to replace Big Eck . Definitely felt at the time that sir duped had rediscovered his appetite for the fight . Sadly a false dawn , but I can't remember too many doubters that summer .

I can definitely remember being totally unaware of who he was when his name was first mentioned. 

We’re all entitled to our opinion, and mines is that appointing a foreign manager would be a mistake for us at this point. We need someone who:

1. Knows the league

Steve Clarke, Robbie Neilson, Jack Ross.... 3 better suggestions than FDB or MPH.

Robbie Neilson over MPH and FDB mate a would rather have Ally than Robbie Neilson and I said I would chuck going to games in Ally was to be our manager. 

1 minute ago, RFC RYAN said:

Robbie Neilson over MPH and FDB mate a would rather have Ally than Robbie Neilson and I said I would chuck going to games in Ally was to be our manager. 

Your not looking at the big picture. Your imagining FDB coming in bringing in 5 top class Dutch players and starting off a new era like Advocaat. That ain’t happening. 

What you’ll get is a few loan players from Ajax, who’ll look like messi in August, but will be warming the bench when winter bites up in Ross County. 

We don’t have the cash to throw at these managers, so what’s the point in bringing them in?

8 minutes ago, gersandy said:

1. Knows the league

Jack Ross is an interesting one. What he's done with St mirren is nothing short of astounding. Has the potential to become a real top class manager but still a risk as he's never managed a big club. He's the one name I look at and think we could really regret not going for a few years down the line.

12 minutes ago, gersandy said:

1. Knows the league

Robbie Neilson and Jack Ross better options than MPH that's the most idiotic thing I've ever read

26 minutes ago, Ibroxholm said:

Pretty well every non-Scottish manager we have had has failed because they were unable to build a robust defensive unit that could cope with the requirements of Scottish football.  Despite an excellent couple of years, even Advocaat failed for this reason.

Advocaat's team played the best football I've ever seen from a Rangers side but the physicality of MON's team tore it apart.  I fear that brining in someone from abroad will result in another footballing purist who wants a variation of the 4-3-3 and a team full of technical players.  In this league we do need a core of physical players who are competitive and a British manager is more likely to appreciate that need.  Having said that, Warburton is a British manager and his midfield is the most powder puff I've ever seen.  I lean so heavily towards Clarke because he's getting results in this league and he's doing it with a physical, well organised, hard working side.  I think Clarke would make us hard to beat again and I remember that being one of Walter Smith's mandates when he took over for the second time.  

13 minutes ago, gersandy said:

1. Knows the league

Think you make some fair points there mate although a proven winner and being able to handle the pressures of managing us has to feature in the considerations. I’m not sure any of the mentioned names tick those boxes, foreign or otherwise. I know this has been much discussed however another requirement for me is no assosaition with that lot, supporter, player whatever, we simply must be able to find a manager that’s never enjoyed them beating us imo.   

I’m frustrated with the boards handling of this however have to admit I haven’t seen many available managers that I’ve thought,  yup I’d take him.

2 minutes ago, Goosetav said:

Robbie Neilson and Jack Ross better options than MPH that's the most idiotic thing I've ever read

Can you say truthfully, hand on heart you had ever heard of MPH before he was mentioned on here? 

Neilson was well thought of before MK Dons. The money down there plays that big a role, that you don’t get long to build a team. 

Clarke has worked wonders at Kilmarnock, and Ross is performing minor miracles at St Mirren. 

Can you say truthfully, hand on heart you had ever heard of MPH before he was mentioned on here? 

Neilson was well thought of before MK Dons. The money down there plays that big a role, that you don’t get long to build a team. 

Clarke has worked wonders at Kilmarnock, and Ross is performing minor miracles at St Mirren. 

No I hadn't heard of him before he was linked with us but I'm not narrow minded enough to think that means he's not a good manager

Neilson's a diddy, Clarke's had a good 6 months with Kilmarnock and Ross is having a good season in the Scottish Championship, it's laughable to claim any of them are more qualified than MPH

4 minutes ago, markem said:

Think you make some fair points there mate although a proven winner and being able to handle the pressures of managing us has to feature in the considerations. I’m not sure any of the mentioned names tick those boxes, foreign or otherwise. I know this has been much discussed however another requirement for me is no assosaition with that lot, supporter, player whatever, we simply must be able to find a manager that’s never enjoyed them beating us imo.   

I’m frustrated with the boards handling of this however have to admit I haven’t seen many available managers that I’ve thought,  yup I’d take him.

A proven winner will cost money in both wages and transfer kitty.

The board need to think logically. I’m afraid they won’t though, and go for someone like MPH, because he sounds exotic and has a decent record in his country. This will happen around the time of season ticket renewals.

2 minutes ago, gersandy said:

The board need to think logically. I’m afraid they won’t though, and go for someone like MPH, because he sounds exotic and has a decent record in his country. This will happen around the time of season ticket renewals.

He is a proven winner :lol:

In 3 countries he's done a good job

8 minutes ago, gersandy said:

That the same people that came up with Pedro are allowed anywhere near the decision making process is a disgrace. 

You are  right it will cost money, probably a whole lot less than what failed experiments cost us though. 

For the record I’m not necessarily disagreeing with your suggestions however neither do I think every foreigner will be a failure due to others that have been and gone. 

All viable options should be considered and they who appoint have to get it right, that’s not to say it’s guaranteed it will work out however the appointment has to make sense in alignment with our current position.    An unknown cunt that interviewed well is not good enough. 

25 minutes ago, gersandy said:

Your not looking at the big picture. Your imagining FDB coming in bringing in 5 top class Dutch players and starting off a new era like Advocaat. That ain’t happening. 

What you’ll get is a few loan players from Ajax, who’ll look like messi in August, but will be warming the bench when winter bites up in Ross County. 

We don’t have the cash to throw at these managers, so what’s the point in bringing them in?

Would rather MPH myself to install a winning mentality.

Seen folk happy with a draw at weekend because we were 2-0 down we have a percentage in our support that are happy with draws at Motherwell, if we have a tactically aware manager we win that game at the weekend 4/5-2 as our manager has installed a weak mentality getting beat of the tarriers then not having a reaction in 2 games one against Killie at home and Motherwell away is laughable. Motherwell have a rubbish team just that their manager knows how to set them up against us. That wasn’t aimed at you btw. 

I said it the night McInnes turned us down we are a shambles from top to bottom and need a major change soon 4 months ago McInnes turned us down and we are still in the same position.