A serious question

stewaj3

Bobby Charlton, Manchester United legend and England World Cup winner, world class player in his day - tried management with Preston and was shite.

Alex Ferguson, average player at best with Dunfermline, Rangers and Falkirk - one of the greatest managers in history, nineteen trophies with Manchester United.

You would think it would have been the reverse if playing careers decided it.

4 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

Bobby Charlton, Manchester United legend and England World Cup winner, world class player in his day - tried management with Preston and was shite.

Alex Ferguson, average player at best with Dunfermline, Rangers and Falkirk - one of the greatest managers in history, nineteen trophies with Manchester United.

You would think it would have been the reverse if playing careers decided it.

And your point is caller?

Diego Simeone’s doing alright. I don’t think there’s any general rule for how good a manager a top player will be, for every Guardiola there’s a Gary Neville. I think it’s all down to the individual, Gerrards clearly always wanted to get into management and it seems everyone who’s played or worked with him thinks he has all the attributes to make a successful manager, hopefully they’re correct.

We can have this discussion all day long, let's just see how he does.

I'm still on the fence regarding his appointment myself, there does seem to be an air of confidence about him that i like and if the investment that esky has been hinting at comes to fruition then it should give him the tools to do the job.

Getting the right guys in the backroom staff is vitally important aswell.

42 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Still don’t know what to think in all honesty 

I’m neither up nor down but the fact everyone has descended into a carnival type mood has left me feeling a bit flat (for what of a better word) because I’m still worried and still have the same reservations I always did even if every man and their dog have their cocks out wanking 

what I do like is the profile and positive publicity it’s gave our club - it makes me feel some pride there and feels like the Rangers I’ve always been used to being the top story again for something that’s not an embarrassment on the pitch or in the boardroom but I’m shaking my head a little at this wave of euphoria that’s gripped us today. 

Im not totally against it - have to make that point but I am a bit worried. I’m not going to sit on here constantly moaning about it trying to kill everyone’s buzz tho 

I’m behind him and can’t wait for pre season to start 

A post I made earlier today had reference to the fact that we have for a good while now been a laughing stock to the media but more so in Scotland!!

I have honestly dreaded how on a daily basis how easily we have become negative news....make no mistake we are still the biggest draw up here and today I felt a sense of proudness emanating from my pores at Gerrards appointment....the positive coverage I witnessed today is the 1st amongst many steps to take us back to where we belong.....whether people agree if he is the right man for the job or not, is secondary at this point as the world of football tiday were reminded we are still a big player in all this.

50 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Still don’t know what to think in all honesty 

I’m neither up nor down but the fact everyone has descended into a carnival type mood has left me feeling a bit flat (for what of a better word) because I’m still worried and still have the same reservations I always did even if every man and their dog have their cocks out wanking 

what I do like is the profile and positive publicity it’s gave our club - it makes me feel some pride there and feels like the Rangers I’ve always been used to being the top story again for something that’s not an embarrassment on the pitch or in the boardroom but I’m shaking my head a little at this wave of euphoria that’s gripped us today. 

Im not totally against it - have to make that point but I am a bit worried. I’m not going to sit on here constantly moaning about it trying to kill everyone’s buzz tho 

I’m behind him and can’t wait for pre season to start 

Fair comments there, but I would like to think that with the better quality of footballer brought in, allied to hopefully much better and more off the field sponsorship/investments I see it only going one way.

There was even a bit on the ITV national news down here and that's a first, you worry too much Kai thanks for pissin on my chips, btw :cheers: mines is always half full.

After today I just can't get too down on SG's prospects even though initially I was against the thought of it. G. Mac's appointment as assistant helps as well.

It's the SPL ffs. I mean even a hapless cunt like Murty had us in second place and at one point within a few points of the beasts. I think his winner attitude will work wonders for us never mind better quality signings on the back of his name. It's a win win for me. Can't wait for next season to start.

3 hours ago, HuistraHairDo said:

Alex Ferguson done ok.

pep Top player/manager

zidane is in his 2nd champions league final.

Ruud Gullet done ok

vialli another top player/manager

Vialli top manager but fergie did ok ?

I think that there are a couple of personality traits that are important, understanding that some players just are not gifted, not being nice when losing, being demanding of high standards and being prepared to confront players that are coasting. S G and G McA appear to me (when they have been interviewed in various bits and bobs) to show those traits.