A serious question

stewaj3

First of all, delighted with the appointment, it's a gamble but I think he's got the mentality that we have been missing. Always looked like the ultimate pro and I hope that carries over into management.

Now my question is... What's your thoughts on a top player becoming a manager... Some random names to consider that I've been thinking about...

Johann Cruyff

Edgar Davids (Barnet)

Rino Gattuso

Terry Butcher

Zinedine Zidane

Paul Ince

Are you a fan of it or not? 

All I can think of is the club's ambition has to match the manager and the names above sort of prove that. 

What are your thoughts?

14 minutes ago, stewaj3 said:

First of all, delighted with the appointment, it's a gamble but I think he's got the mentality that we have been missing. Always looked like the ultimate pro and I hope that carries over into management.

Now my question is... What's your thoughts on a top player becoming a manager... Some random names to consider that I've been thinking about...

Johann Cruyff

Edgar Davids (Barnet)

Rino Gattuso

Terry Butcher

Zinedine Zidane

Paul Ince

All I can think of is the club's ambition has to match the manager and the names above sort of prove that. 

What are your thoughts?

I don't think there has really been much world class players to then become really successful managers. As imo the 2 don't mix really.

All down to the individual, whether he's been a manager since nineteen canteen or its his first job.

All I know is Steven Gerrard was a top, top player and listening to him today he's an impressive man who can without doubt lead and influence, always had him down as a shy introverted man who mibbe wasnt the brightest buts thats far from true, he seems to be a serious guy, very driven and focused, he has all the makings of a successful manager, If given the right tools, recruitment and budget are key

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

Still don’t know what to think in all honesty 

I’m neither up nor down but the fact everyone has descended into a carnival type mood has left me feeling a bit flat (for what of a better word) because I’m still worried and still have the same reservations I always did even if every man and their dog have their cocks out wanking 

what I do like is the profile and positive publicity it’s gave our club - it makes me feel some pride there and feels like the Rangers I’ve always been used to being the top story again for something that’s not an embarrassment on the pitch or in the boardroom but I’m shaking my head a little at this wave of euphoria that’s gripped us today. 

Im not totally against it - have to make that point but I am a bit worried. I’m not going to sit on here constantly moaning about it trying to kill everyone’s buzz tho 

I’m behind him and can’t wait for pre season to start 

That is a superb post . I'm with you 100 % on that

I think what people forget in all this "world class players don't become great managers" is that there are far few world class players who become managers than shite/average/good players who do. The odds are against them from the off. 

Where I see the difference with Gerrard though is that he seemed to work and graft with the talent he had to be the best he possibly could be and understands the sacrifices he made which turned him into a world class midfielder. Not saying the same doesn't apply to say a Zidane, David's etc but I just feel maybe their talent was more natural and didn't necessarily have to work as hard as a Gerrard therefore a part of that understanding of the game may be missing from their skillset.

All just my opinion of course but I'm quietly optimistic about Gerrard albeit have reservations.

5 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I’m neither up nor down but the fact everyone has descended into a carnival type mood has left me feeling a bit flat (for what of a better word) because I’m still worried and still have the same reservations I always did even if every man and their dog have their cocks out wanking 

what I do like is the profile and positive publicity it’s gave our club - it makes me feel some pride there and feels like the Rangers I’ve always been used to being the top story again for something that’s not an embarrassment on the pitch or in the boardroom but I’m shaking my head a little at this wave of euphoria that’s gripped us today. 

Im not totally against it - have to make that point but I am a bit worried. I’m not going to sit on here constantly moaning about it trying to kill everyone’s buzz tho 

Exactly how I feel about it all, fascination, excitement and absolute fear all running through my mind right now. 

26 minutes ago, stewaj3 said:

Johann Cruyff

Edgar Davids (Barnet)

Rino Gattuso

Terry Butcher

Zinedine Zidane

Paul Ince

What are your thoughts?

Souness did OK

17 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I strongly suspect that I am the supporter you fucking detest but I really respect that post. Fair play to you. ?

20 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Your vulnerable mate ? remind me of a burd that’s been fed false promises and keeps getting the same arseholes ?

23 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Do you know what though mate, we’ve been through that much shite over the last few years that something like this, that’s brought such a buzz to the support can’t be a bad thing! 

I share your scepticism as it could be another false dawn but to actually have some serious hope & a buzz around the place is fucking excellent!! 

As you say as well, back on the map for good reasons again too! 

22 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Mate, it’d take a fukkin elephant tranquilliser dart to kill ma buzz the now :lol:

44 minutes ago, stewaj3 said:

Johann Cruyff

Edgar Davids (Barnet)

Rino Gattuso

Terry Butcher

Zinedine Zidane

Paul Ince

What are your thoughts?

You missed Souness he was a top player and "the boy done good." 

1 minute ago, scottyc06 said:

Do you know what though mate, we’ve been through that much shite over the last few years that something like this, that’s brought such a buzz to the support can’t be a bad thing! 

I share your scepticism as it could be another false dawn but to actually have some serious hope & a buzz around the place is fucking excellent!! 

As you say as well, back on the map for good reasons again too! 

The positive vibe is defo not a bad thing - it’s good to see it and I’m happy the support are having a great day and there’s a wave of euphoria - I’m just not there (yet)

im looking forward to the fresh approach though and can’t wait for him to get started. 

I think it’s good he’s going to just observe the last 3 games rather than be involved in some way with another toxic season and he can start a fresh 1st June 

26 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Most of your posts are complete shite but this is a really good one mate.