Pre Season

The sand dunes might seem like a joke to some but I honestly would do that.  They need to land on their feet this summer and that will be a good start and an education on what to expect.

I would prefer if we have two/three games again the standard of opposition that we are likely to encounter against in Europa opening rounds - we don't want to be caught cold again. Preferably AWAY against Scandinavian, Baltic , Irish, Luxembourg/Lichtenstein, Cypriot sides, which are already into their season.

Not glamorous, but we need to put out the squad against a competitive match fit side where playing us is a full cup final for them, so they will be up for it.

Rather that, than a mid table English championship/lower EPL side just back in, where they really couldnt care less (eg Watford last season)

5 minutes ago, kanjo said:

The sand dunes might seem like a joke to some but I honestly would do that.  They need to land on their feet this summer and that will be a good start and an education on what to expect.

Take them to the sands is good and well mate, but you still need to hope we have someone capable to put them through the drills.

Hopefully one thing Gerrard has in mind is a good fitness coach. 

If we took them to the sands Flannigan would have them stopped every 3 or 4 minutes for a wee sports gel and water break the pampered wee poofs

1 hour ago, Theulstervolunteer said:

Burnley / Liverpool away :dance:

Doubt Liverpool will happen, the top EPL clubs have preseason booked well in advance to likes of the Middle East and Asia - there will be no room for sentiment there, so I will be very surprised. Their pre-season is driven by revenue and TV, not on the whim of an appointment of a new manager.

We were rumoured to play Malaga last year and nothing came of it were we not?

Malaga and Austria would be class, although can’t see it. As @K.A.I said a squad of bears in Benalmadena would be outstanding.

Not sure my credit card is prepared for a big away trip as well as Europe.

Would love a friendly in London, again can’t see it though.

12 minutes ago, BEE said:

Malaga and Austria would be class, although can’t see it. As @K.A.I said a squad of bears in Benalmadena would be outstanding.

The Malaga rumour I'm sure was when the Benfica game in Toronto got cancelled.  Came from Facebook or something.

5 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

The Malaga rumour I'm sure was when the Benfica game in Toronto got cancelled.  Came from Facebook or something.

Aye what’s making me think that it’s pish, flights for Malaga throughout June are already about £150 return (was looking for a holiday) - will go sky high if we have a friendly.

21 minutes ago, BEE said:

Sure it came it when Warburton first came in as well

6 minutes ago, BEE said:

Aye what’s making me think that it’s pish, flights for Malaga throughout June are already about £150 return (was looking for a holiday) - will go sky high if we have a friendly.

There's other options. The train system is quite good in Spain now when Chelsea played Atletico Madrid a few months ago I done a £39 return flight to Valencia and got that Refe train for about £30 return to Madrid was only about 1 hour 40 mins. 

I'm sure Malaga is linked to the likes of Barcelona, Almeria airports and you've also got the likes of Tarragona, Girona, Gibraltar, Alicante airports within commute, maybe 3 hours on a train from Barcelona. Would be easy to do it cheap. 

2 minutes ago, Goosetav said:

Was rumours of Malaga away a few seasons ago for some trophy, sure it made the press over there 

Was that no some round robin tournament with Southampton also involved? If so we got papped out that as they had concerns about our financial position.

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

There's other options. The train system is quite good in Spain now when Chelsea played Atletico Madrid a few months ago I done a £39 return flight to Valencia and got that Refe train for about £30 return to Madrid was only about 1 hour 40 mins. 

I'm sure Malaga is linked to the likes of Barcelona, Almeria airports and you've also got the likes of Tarragona, Girona, Gibraltar, Alicante airports within commute, maybe 3 hours on a train from Barcelona. Would be easy to do it cheap. 

Cheers might look into that for a weekend away, that Bar None over there is cracking - remember them doing any cocktail for 4 euro and a bucket of 6 San Miguel for something daft like 5 euro.

I was really looking forward to pre-season because a second placed finish would have meant not playing a competitive game till 26th July and having the best possible pre-season for quite a while, but finishing 3rd and playing 2 weeks beforehand means we probably have less exciting options now.