Quinton “Cutty” Young

K.A.I

6 hours ago, Buggleskelly said:

I seen him in Hillington industrial estate about 15 years ago digging with a pick & shovel on a drainage pipe thingy in the pissing rain.

Pretty gutted with this as I idolised him when I was a teenager.

Sad sight

?

Sad sight but he played for the Rangers ??

3 hours ago, Trooblue said:

MacLeod's Ayr United team had Cutty Young on one wing and Johnny Doyle on the other, with Alex Ingram (later a VW car dealer) as centre forward. They were quite a team. Cutty ended up with us and Doyle with celtic, of course.  I loved watching Cutty play, as he was a bit like Bud, albeit not quite in the same class. 

No they didn’t Doyle only came into the team when Young left for coventry  the Ayr forward line at the time was Young Sir Alex. Dixie Ingram  Davie McCulloch and Bobby  Rough   

17 minutes ago, GeeSS said:

No they didn’t Doyle only came into the team when Young left for coventry  the Ayr forward line at the time was Young Sir Alex. Dixie Ingram  Davie McCulloch and Bobby  Rough   

My memory must be playing tricks on me. Could have sworn that Young and Doyle played in the same team. 

24 minutes ago, GeeSS said:

I've checked this - Young played for Ayr 1969-71 and Doyle 1970-76 ... I'm sure that I saw them playing in the same team. 

7 hours ago, Buggleskelly said:

I seen him in Hillington industrial estate about 15 years ago digging with a pick & shovel on a drainage pipe thingy in the pissing rain.

Pretty gutted with this as I idolised him when I was a teenager.

Sad sight

?

Alex MacDonald worked in the same job as me about 8 years ago . Can't remember if it was in Govan or Scotstoun . 

If memory serves, "Cutty" supplied the lobbed pass (I refrain from calling it a "Hail Mary") for DJ to equalise late on in the 1971 Scottish Cup Final.  My cabletow prevents me from supplying the footage of this goal but perhaps some bear with the technical nous can do so.

On 22/06/2018 at 21:00, Trooblue said:

I've checked this - Young played for Ayr 1969-71 and Doyle 1970-76 ... I'm sure that I saw them playing in the same team. 

Cutty and Doyle played against us in 1970 when Ayr beat us 2-1 at Somerset Park,Cutty scored an own goal then went on to score the winner for Ayr,,Cutty was a great servant for Rangers.

Cutty hung about the Hotels on Miller Road after his career finished.
He's really a genuine hard working honest guy who has time for everybody
He's played more games for his beloved Rangers than any other team.
Quite sure it was his sister I worked beside in a carpet factory in Ayr early 70's, and tried to put the Boabie into her :mutley:
She wasn't having it :justno: 

7 hours ago, Wee Bud said:

Cutty and Doyle played against us in 1970 when Ayr beat us 2-1 at Somerset Park,Cutty scored an own goal then went on to score the winner for Ayr,,Cutty was a great servant for Rangers.

Thanks for confirming this. I'm wondering if that was the game where Doyle's right boot was taken off in a crunching tackle but he ran on down the wing and put in a cross with the bootless foot. I certainly wasn't cheering him on, but had to laugh. 

1 hour ago, scottyscott1963 said:

Cutty hung about the Hotels on Miller Road after his career finished.
He's really a genuine hard working honest guy who has time for everybody
He's played more games for his beloved Rangers than any other team.
Quite sure it was his sister I worked beside in a carpet factory in Ayr early 70's, and tried to put the Boabie into her :mutley:
She wasn't having it :justno: 

Good story mate . We have all been there :p:

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 20:02, Blueshoff said:

Sad sight but he played for the Rangers ??

Cutty is still alive and well . Doyle is unfortunately for him , not.

I know which path id rather have chosen .

Different times back then for footballers earning ok money and pissing it all away

17 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

If memory serves, "Cutty" supplied the lobbed pass (I refrain from calling it a "Hail Mary") for DJ to equalise late on in the 1971 Scottish Cup Final.  My cabletow prevents me from supplying the footage of this goal but perhaps some bear with the technical nous can do so.

Pretty sure it was Willie Johnston that provided the cross for DJ to score the equaliser in 71 . Quinton Young didn't sign till the 1972/73 season . 

Cant find any footage of the original final that ended 1-1 . 

8 hours ago, gmcf said:

Pretty sure it was Willie Johnston that provided the cross for DJ to score the equaliser in 71 . Quinton Young didn't sign till the 1972/73 season . 

Cant find any footage of the original final that ended 1-1 . 

it was indeed Bud who supplied the long ball from which DJ headed the late equaliser in 1971 SCF, Cutty provided the long ball from which Alfie Conn scored at the start of the second half in the 1973 final.