***UEFA Champions League 18/19***

G.E.C.

3 minutes ago, Domthenbud said:

Why? The ref has another look. Sees he has made a mistake or missed it. Penalty.

That is never a Penalty. Not one pundit believed it was either. VAR put that Ref under pressure to make a decision which in real time was deemed not a Penalty. Just bonkers.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Can't stand them 

I used to absolutely hate them. Especially as a kid when it was Arsenal and them battling it out for titles in the 98 - 04 period. 

I must be going soft in my old age as ive come to respect what they are and how they got there. Give me them over City or Chelsea any day.

Just now, sassaaaa said:

Glad PSG are out but that was never a penalty......

Agreed. The offence is meant to be deliberately handling the ball. That was never deliberate and his arm was no further from his body than you would expect when spinning round. The fact 3 ex manic players say no penalty says it all. 

3 minutes ago, IpswichGer said:

That is never a Penalty. Not on pundit believed it was either. VAR put that Ref under pressure to make a decision which in real time was deemed not a Penalty. Just bonkers.

According to bt all refs contacted say it’s a pen. It’s a pen. If Gers didn’t get it, I’d be disappointed.

1 minute ago, Domthenbud said:

According to bt all refs contacted say it’s a pen. It’s a pen. If Gers didn’t get it, I’d be disappointed.

That’s why we need more ex players as refs. Where was the defender meant to put his arm? All that stuff about he didn’t take responsibility for where the ball might hit if he turned his back is absolute bollocks. Ferdinand put it perfectly when he pointed out you just can’t turn or move properly with your hands clamped by your side. 

3 minutes ago, folkestoneger said:

That’s why we need more ex players as refs. Where was the defender meant to put his arm? All that stuff about he didn’t take responsibility for where the ball might hit if he turned his back is absolute bollocks. Ferdinand put it perfectly when he pointed out you just can’t turn or move properly with your hands clamped by your side. 

Nah lead with his arm knew what he was doing

9 minutes ago, folkestoneger said:

Agreed. The offence is meant to be deliberately handling the ball. That was never deliberate and his arm was no further from his body than you would expect when spinning round. The fact 3 ex manic players say no penalty says it all. 

Common sense says it's never a pen in a million years. IMO it should not have been a pen. However, I think the commentators (and the BT Sport ref and the actual ref of course) seemed to suggest it was a pen. Has there been a change to rule? I think I heard there is chat about changing it or there has been some sort of briefing? Handballs have always caused debates, same with a lot of rules.

To me it should become black and white. Any handball is a pen. Fuck deliberate, intentional, unfair. Handball = pen! No debate or open to interpretation pish.

From Mark Clattenburg

Let's be clear, the referee has made the right decision in awarding Manchester United their late penalty following the handball by Presnel Kimpembe - he has applied the laws as UEFA wish them to be.

But PSG will be furious, and I understand why. This, for me, should not be a penalty, it is not a deliberate handball. In the Premier League over the years this would never have been given as a penalty.

It has been given because of UEFA’s recent instruction to referees, which came about after Manchester City conceded a similar penalty at Schalke last month.

They want referees to give handball when the arm is out and is in a non-natural position, and to that end the referee has been consistent here.

However, he has watched a slow-motion replay of the incident and, when it comes to handball, it always looks worse when slowed down.

I would always want to watch a handball claim in a real-time replay. Do that here and it’s never a penalty, the player is turning away and trying to withdraw his arm away from the ball.

Archived