Our Midfield

beararse

Listed below in order of importance/performances when fit IMO (others might (and will) disagree). Names in bold are currently injured.

When you see it on paper it looks quite a strong pool to pick from if all/most are fit, especially if we go 3-5-2 the majority of the games in order to get the best out of Barisic and Tavernier.

So, 13 midfielders in total and 4 out of what are arguably our top 5 midfielders are currently out injured.

Is it little wonder this is the area where we are struggling at present?....

Jack (by far the most consistent performer this season)

Coulibally (excellent start but injured)

Rossiter (has looked very promising when fit but made of glass)

Murphy (capable of creating/scoring but injured)

Dorrans (capable of creating/scoring but injured)

Arfield (solid but thats about it so far)

Ejaria (looks a prospect but when his game is off it's really off)

Candeias (works like buggery but final ball generally poor. Seems to be praised mainly because he helps a defender who cant really defend)

Kent (squad player when everyone is fit)

Halliday (stop gap utility player)

McRorie (squad player, possible 5th CB)

Middleton (limited appearances, possible impact player for last 10-15 mins max)

Grezda (untested so importance unknown as yet but might be the creative force we need)

Jack is rubbish. 

One of the stranger things about our support at the moment, people trying hard to convince themselves, and others, that he's a player. 

Not physically imposing, can't pass forward, scared in possession, can't shoot, slow, prone to giving away cheap fouls. 

But he runs around a bit, left Aberdeen for us and is a Protestant, so he must be great.  

26 minutes ago, gsa said:

Jack is rubbish. 

One of the stranger things about our support at the moment, people trying hard to convince themselves, and others, that he's a player. 

Not physically imposing, can't pass forward, scared in possession, can't shoot, slow, prone to giving away cheap fouls. 

But he runs around a bit, left Aberdeen for us and is a Protestant, so he must be great.  

See you've binned Halliday and adopted Jack, nice. 

Just now, BridgeIsBlue said:

See you've binned Halliday and adopted Jack, nice. 

No? Halliday is still shite? 

Supprting the team doesn't mean being unrealistic. The reality is that in the time Jack was on the pitch, he never layed a glove on anyone in green and white. 

Neither of these players are remotely good enough. And pretending they are, won't make them so. 

The manager and team were pathetic yesterday. That's the truth. Deal with it. 

28 minutes ago, gsa said:

Jack is rubbish. 

Just goes to show that people see different things in different players. I personally think he's been excellent, as does Steven Gerrard, and you think he's shite.

Different strokes for different folks ?

5 minutes ago, beararse said:

Just goes to show that people see different things in different players. I personally think he's been excellent, as does Steven Gerrard, and you think he's shite.

Stevie through the sitting back and admiring celtic was the way to win yesterday and he succeeded only embarrassing himself and us. Stevie thought Kyle Lafferty at left midfield was a good idea. Stevie, quite clearly, doesn't get everything right. 

1 minute ago, gsa said:

No? Halliday is still shite? 

Supprting the team doesn't mean being unrealistic. The reality is that in the time Jack was on the pitch, he never layed a glove on anyone in green and white. 

Neither of these players are remotely good enough. And pretending they are, won't make them so. 

The manager and team were pathetic yesterday. That's the truth. Deal with it. 

That might well be the case but it doesn't mean they are shite full stop. They just happened to have been shite yesterday.

I'd like to have seen how the game would have played had the course of the two teams' seasons had been flipped. I suspect we would have been creaming ourselves about how we ran celtic ragged.

It was never going to be a true reflection of where we are yesterday. There were too many variables tipped in favour of the opposition, right down to playing in front of only 800 Rangers fans. Everyone knows the fans  gives you a lift, especially when you are dead on your feet.

Incidentally, Rangers made a right cunt of the tickets IMO.

Not only did we not have 8000 there, they have another 7200 their so it is a swing of 15,200 fans.

Sort it out and give them their 8000 next year so we can get ours. Fucking ridiculous decision.

2 minutes ago, gsa said:

Stevie through the sitting back and admiring celtic was the way to win yesterday and he succeeded only embarrassing himself and us. Stevie thought Kyle Lafferty at left midfield was a good idea. Stevie, quite clearly, doesn't get everything right. 

Inexperienced manager makes mistakes - shock horror. 

Did Walter have a good win percentage at the piggery just out of curiosity? 

5 minutes ago, beararse said:

4 minutes ago, gsa said:

There is no one alive on this earth who gets everything right!

5 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Inexperienced manager makes mistakes - shock horror. 

Did Walter have a good win percentage at the piggery just out of curiosity? 

Hear what you're saying mate but I disagree. We've had countless examples of that approach against celtic ending in humiliation. No idea why Gerrard thought it would work. 

Walters record is irrelevant. We're talking about the current manager being responsible for a continuation of weak, insipid performances against celtic. 

6 minutes ago, gsa said:

Hear what you're saying mate but I disagree. We've had countless examples of that approach against celtic ending in humiliation. No idea why Gerrard thought it would work. 

Walters record is irrelevant. We're talking about the current manager being responsible for a continuation of weak, insipid performances against celtic. 

Point I'm making is that Walter never went there and tried to play a high pressing game, because he knew it wouldn't work. 

Same as it wouldn't work yesterday. 

11 minutes ago, gsa said:

3 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Point I'm making is that Walter never went there and tried to play a high pressing game, because he knew it wouldn't work. 

Same as it wouldn't work yesterday. 

I think the approach yesterday was based on the after effects of the game on Thursday. 

The team were dead on their feet come the end of that game. The price of having to defend with 9 men. Gerrard likely knew a full on high press, high tempo approach which he wants to implement would take out the energy that was left in the squad quickly leaving us wide open to counter attacks. We seen first hand how quickly the taigs could break on us.

Stay solid and look to cause problems on the break was the plan. 

Our problem was the midfield not being able to hold onto the ball to relief constant pressure, and poor passing allowing the taigs to kill off any attempt at the counter attack and bringing the ball straight back at us again.

It didn't work and it's a lesson for Gerrard to take away.

I agree on lafferty position. I think we either play him at CF or we don't. He doesn't contribute on the wings. 

8 minutes ago, gsa said:

Hear what you're saying mate but I disagree. We've had countless examples of that approach against celtic ending in humiliation. No idea why Gerrard thought it would work

Maybe he didn't but had little choice!

Said in another thread, players wear GPS tops in training and in games for a reason.

Gerrard will have known his players were burst from their efforts up until now.

Earlier and/or better substitutions might have helped but McCorie, Halliday, Worrall, Flanagan, Middleton & Candeias hardly scream 'game changers' to me.