Plastic pitch on Sunday

Amac9

14 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

They have no place at this level or 5-6 levels below us. Embarrassing that clubs have them to save pennies. My local team Arbroath don't have one yet have one of the best pitches in Scottish football all season round, and thats only with a part time groundsman with a couple of volunteers when needed. They incompetent bastards at the SFA should have them banned.

If they can do it then it's embarrassing a top tier team cant.

51 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

Trying to gain a advantage???

According to Gary Holt, they get a massive advantage from it. In fact, he said if they were offered a new one, he would refuse it because they train on it every day which gives them a big advantage at home.

I have yet to hear any professional football player say he prefers artificial pitches.

The SPFL/SFA should ban them in the Premiership. It's a professional game not fucking Subbuteo!  Cunts are making a mockery of our game. 

18 hours ago, esquire8 said:

They have no place at this level or 5-6 levels below us. Embarrassing that clubs have them to save pennies. My local team Arbroath don't have one yet have one of the best pitches in Scottish football all season round, and thats only with a part time groundsman with a couple of volunteers when needed. They incompetent bastards at the SFA should have them banned.

Good post mate - I've read that one of the reasons/excuses put forward by Clarke/killie was that they can gain additional income through other events - no idea if that is true or just another pish excuse, but if it costs 1m quid to construct, it's an awful lot of money to recover. 

41 minutes ago, WATP-FOREVER said:

Good post mate - I've read that one of the reasons/excuses put forward by Clarke/killie was that they can gain additional income through other events - no idea if that is true or just another pish excuse, but if it costs 1m quid to construct, it's an awful lot of money to recover. 

Shite excuse, when was the last time an event outside of football was held at either Rugby Park, New Douglas or Almondvale? Absolute nonsense, get them ripped out and tell them to hire a groundsman who knows what hes doing. The money they've wasted on that plastic shit could've paid for a decent groundsman for over 20 years.

21 hours ago, CoatbridgeBear said:

Hurt my ankle on these parks several times, it just catches the surface while your body goes a different direction. They are a shambles and should be absolutely nowhere near professional football.

Done my knee on an astro turf pitch a few years ago and it's still not right after 3 operations. My whole body weight went in the opposite direction when i jarred my knee and tore the ligaments needless to say have not kicked a ball since. I just hope we carry on with our winning run with no new injuries to any of our players on Sunday.

9 minutes ago, BILLYBOY50 said:

Done my knee on an astro turf pitch a few years ago and it's still not right after 3 operations. My whole body weight went in the opposite direction when i jarred my knee and tore the ligaments needless to say have not kicked a ball since. I just hope we carry on with our winning run with no new injuries to any of our players on Sunday.

Aw mate it’s a shambles, once it fucks you a don’t think it ever goes away. A get hassle with my ankle all the time, a can still play thankfully but even when am drivin it’ll just randomly niggle n give me wee pains. How they’re used in pro football is beyond me.

I dont understand why they dont just put a rule in that every player playing on these astro pitches have to wear boots without studs.

Surely most of the injuries are because of studs getting stuck causing twisting of knees etc.

Force everyone to wear studless boots, so that it is an even playing field and the risk of injury is less. Sure there may be a few more slips etc, but everyone has to deal with the same risk if they are all wearing the same type of boot. 

10 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I dont understand why they dont just put a rule in that every player playing on these astro pitches have to wear boots without studs.

Surely most of the injuries are because of studs getting stuck causing twisting of knees etc.

Force everyone to wear studless boots, so that it is an even playing field and the risk of injury is less. Sure there may be a few more slips etc, but everyone has to deal with the same risk if they are all wearing the same type of boot. 

Like astro turf trainers? Photo courtesy of bedford high school. Same pitch budget as scottish "top flight" teams ???

men-lotto-iv-red-stadio-potenza-multi-studs-700-tf-astro-turf-trainers-A55O.jpg

3 hours ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

I have yet to hear any professional football player say he prefers artificial pitches.

The SPFL/SFA should ban them in the Premiership. It's a professional game not fucking Subbuteo!  Cunts are making a mockery of our game. 

Probably because the useless cunts running the game in Scotland have most likely never played football at any level and don't understand the reasoning of top end professional football clubs objections to playing on them and consider them as petty excuses, useless bastards.

Here is an evaluation of injuries vs, turf type for the US NFL.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/turf-type-and-nfl-injuries-part-I

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/turf-type-and-nfl-injuries-part-ii

The types of injuries are the same as in "soccer"- knee (ACL, MCL etc) and foot/ankle etc.

The artificial surfaces result in about 50% more injuries than natural grass. There's a pretty wide variation depending on the exact nature of the artificial surface and the quality of the upkeep, whether artificial or grass, but the numbers are seemingly pretty compelling.

However, the conclusion in Europe, as of 2006, was different,

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2577464/

More up to date info. on professional football (soccer) is hard to come by, for some reason, so here is one on amateurs.

https://bmcsportsscimedrehabil.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1758-2555-3-3

This concluded that artificial surfaces had fewer injuries than dirt fields.

Then there was this meta-analysis of a number of studies,

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jsm/2013/380523/

This also concluded that for soccer artificial surfaces were less likely to result in injury.

By the way, I live in the US- North Carolina- and I've been a long distance Rangers supporter since I was a wee lad raised in East Belfast.

To my shame, I've never been to a game in Glasgow as I left N. Ireland as a teenager, but I track them and watch the games on video when I can.

If Rangers make it to Baku I intend to go as I have an associate that came from there during the time of the Soviet Union and he's encouraging me to take the opportunity.

cleats.thumb.PNG.5e6f0e3216efd42b8ee073384dd44e78.PNG

This is a pair of NFL boots (they call them cleats). Not too different from soccer.

In wet/muddy conditions they use different stud lengths.

Artificial surfaces have different ball bounce and control characteristics than grass, although it has improved markedly as the generations have evolved.

This hardly matters in the NFL, but is critical in the EPL, SPL etc.

Rugby park was converted to Field turf in 2014. 

I'm also a New England Patriots fan- I lived in Boston since the early 80s until a decade or so ago- and I was a season ticket holder for a number of years, and they switched to field turf from natural grass in 2006. They moved to the upgraded field turf in 2017 then changed again as the players claimed it was too soft.

New England had amongst the highest turf related injury rates in the NFL, and the rate increased after the original change in surface.

17 minutes ago, blueretro said:

If artificial pitches are so bad, how come the teams that play on them every other week manage to field a team? You would think the teams with plastic pitches would have an horrendous injury list.

I'll be honest, I've thought about that a few times.

33 minutes ago, blueretro said:

If artificial pitches are so bad, how come the teams that play on them every other week manage to field a team? You would think the teams with plastic pitches would have an horrendous injury list.

They get used to it and change how they play/Move to suit the ground. If they played like normal and stretch for the ball and land awkwardly like you can do on a normal pitch they too would be riddled with injuries. They need to go.