At what point does gerrard become sackable

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Becomes sackable at end of next season if no improvement, need to cut him some slack just now. Pains me to say it but we’ve got to sell Morelos, give the money to gerrard & allen, plus what they would have got out with the sale, about £30m Kitty to go out buy 4/5 decent players 

1 hour ago, ger4life_1872 said:

Nobody is wanting Walter back ffs that is made up nonsense , why cant the people who have flip flopped on what is acceptable and decided we must now stick with a manager and give them time say why Gerrard is that man ? 

2nd place and getting to the group stages in the EL is more than acceptable for his first season. 

People can argue about points and results but the league table doesn't lie, finish runners up and he's achieved more than any manager before him since Walter. 

This was always going to be a transitional season to allow the manager to find his feet. Should that be acceptable for a Rangers manager, no but that's what the board accepted when appointing a first time manager. 

He'll get next season and he has to deliver success. No Rangers manager would be expected to survive 2 straight seasons without some silverware to show. 

It's hope now more that anything he can turn it round. He'll have this year under his belt, know the players that have let him down and what he needs to improve us. 

Priority has got to be the wings and a attacking central midfielder. We need more goals and threats in these areas. As aside from morelos and tav we have no one else in double  figures for the season. 

36 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I really query his support structure. I've no idea what McAllister brings to the party, on match days it's nothing. Yesterday Beale I think was out giving tactical input to players, McAllister never does, never seems to contribute to Gerrard during games.

I think Gerrard would benefit hugely from an assistant manager who us tactically astute, experienced, and who can offer SG assistance but also challenge his thought process too.

I’ve thought this about Mcallister for a while, Is he doing a lot of work behind the scenes in training etc, cos he don’t seem involved much on match day

4 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

This was always going to be a transitional season to allow the manager to find his feet. Should that be acceptable for a Rangers manager, no but that's what the board accepted when appointing a first time manager. 

He'll get next season and he has to deliver success. No Rangers manager would be expected to survive 2 straight seasons without some silverware to show. 

It's hope now more that anything he can turn it round. He'll have this year under his belt, know the players that have let him down and what he needs to improve us. 

Priority has got to be the wings and a attacking central midfielder. We need more goals and threats in these areas. As aside from morelos and tav we have no one else in double  figures for the season. 

Good points.

I suspect some of the discontent would be silenced if we’d started slowly and then come on to a game which was delivering consistent performances & results, along with showing we’ve got the measure of the likes of Killie, Hivs & sheep.

It’s currently working in reverse, with a bright start & some success in getting to the EL groups, beating sellik, but results now tailing off, despite some (what looked like) significant strengthening in January.

Hes unsackable, the blind faith loyal refuse to acknowledge what is perfectly visible match after match, hes learning the job apparently, needs time. Shame hes a bloody slow learner as we do the same routine game after game. But hes good for season ticket sales and a legend at Daves favourite team so hes safe until they do 11

King made it clear Gerrard was to lead a project of rebuilding. If we were to consider sacking him soon we’d be committing to a full rebuild essentially ever summer. 

Save for a material change in circumstances, I wouldn’t even seriously consider his position until the end of next season. 

We’re improving, and it’s only the usual suspects on here that can’t seem to accept that.

6 minutes ago, Bertent said:

Hes unsackable, the blind faith loyal refuse to acknowledge what is perfectly visible match after match, hes learning the job apparently, needs time. Shame hes a bloody slow learner as we do the same routine game after game. But hes good for season ticket sales and a legend at Daves favourite team so hes safe until they do 11

How's he supposed to turn defensive minded midfielders into play makers? 

15 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

2nd place and getting to the group stages in the EL is more than acceptable for his first season. 

People can argue about points and results but the league table doesn't lie, finish runners up and he's achieved more than any manager before him since Walter. 

Hes been backed more than any manager since then too and we are 1 point better off than last year ? But the idea of backing the manager last season seen people getting slaughtered , 

We should be going into next season needing 2 or 3 proper quality players from winning the league but instead we still need half a team but that's all just ignored and written off as players needing time , again last season giving players time too come good wasn't an option ,

Warburton is always slaughtered for ignoring the defence but Gerrard has completely ignored our creativity problems but again that's ignored or overlooked and it makes no sense 

For me we can start to seriously judge him next season. By then he’ll have had 3 transfer windows, a years experience as a manager and a season in Scottish football to get to know the league etc. 

If he doesn’t show he’s learning, and we don’t show signs of improvement then he’ll be under pressure.

6 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

He could stop signing defensive midfielders and go out and get attacking players, it was clear as day we desperately needed an AM in the first half of the season and January we brought in yet another DM and Davis who seems to just float around doing fuck all.

Not anywhere close to it yet.

For me it's about progress and I'd say despite the cups there has been that. We're harder to beat than we were 12 months ago and that was something we all agreed had to be changed. The issue is that a lot of defeats have been turned into draws but that can fixed in the summer.

I think even with Morelos staying there will be money available from ST and the Europa League for the manager to spend. Out with a new centre half to replace Worrall any transfer money should be put in the final third. We need an improvement on the right hand side and another midfielder who can chip in with goals and assists. Arfield has done it but we need someone else beside him. I like Ryan Jack and he's scoring more goals but against the likes of Aberdeen, Kilmarnock etc. we need a bit more class. We also need to be prepared for the possibility of Kent not coming back.

I think the manager deserves the chance in the summer to improve the squad. Not just because I think there has been improvement in certain areas and the boost the club got by qualifying for the EL but we cannot keep changing manager every 6-12 months. It hasn't worked since we got promoted and we've wasted two years chopping and changing.

23 minutes ago, Bertent said:

All this post proves is that you're a slow learner tbh.

21 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

If they are so defensive why are we so prone to conceding against counter attacks. 

28 minutes ago, ger4life_1872 said:

Hes been backed more than any manager since then too and we are 1 point better off than last year ? But the idea of backing the manager last season seen people getting slaughtered , 

We should be going into next season needing 2 or 3 proper quality players from winning the league but instead we still need half a team but that's all just ignored and written off as players needing time , again last season giving players time too come good wasn't an option ,

Warburton is always slaughtered for ignoring the defence but Gerrard has completely ignored our creativity problems but again that's ignored or overlooked and it makes no sense 

1 point better off is still an improvement no? And Caixinha didn't deserve time because of his results against in the tarriers and standing in a hedge arguing with fans after being put out in the 1st round of EL qualifying. 

Warburton had 3 windows to fix the defence, Gerrard has had two. 

23 minutes ago, Bristol loyal said:

He could stop signing defensive midfielders and go out and get attacking players, it was clear as day we desperately needed an AM in the first half of the season and January we brought in yet another DM and Davis who seems to just float around doing fuck all.

Maybe the right players weren't available in January? 

9 minutes ago, Bertent said:

If they are so defensive why are we so prone to conceding against counter attacks. 

Because we're asking said defensive midfielders to act as playmakers and push up, and when that happens you're always prone to be hit on the counter. 

Do you even know football? 

2 hours ago, BlueMe said:

If you think Gerrard, or any other manager we have, should be winning the league when celtic have a turnover three times ours and a wage budget double ours, you're delusional.

Gerrard has been backed enough financially to take us to the position we're in, but he needs quality players to add the consistency we need and to turn all those draws into wins. If we want to be serious title contenders, he needs a lot more money to do it.

So if we arent supposed to beat a team with a wage bill thats double ours, why have we been papped out both cups and do we regularly struggle against teams with budgets that are half ours? 

You say gerrard has been backed financially to get us 2nd place, what if we dont finish 2nd, our record against the other top 6 means that's a real possibility 

Just now, Jimbeamjunior said:

So if we arent supposed to beat a team with a wage bill thats double ours, why have we been papped out both cups and do we regularly struggle against teams with budgets that are half ours? 

You say gerrard has been backed financially to get us 2nd place, what if we dont finish 2nd, our record against the other top 6 means that's a real possibility 

Cups are one off games, it's not as if we've never ever been knocked out by lesser sides. 

If we finish 3rd then obviously questions will be asked and it's another failure of a season with no progress made, but we're on course to claim second place and we are where we should be. 

2 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Teams that cost a lot more than ours are regularly knocked out of cups, in one off games, anything can happen.

If we don't finish second, then I'll start to ask questions, but at the moment, we're where we should be.

Archived