Man City The Richest EPL Club

Manchester City have overtaken Manchester United as the most valuable Premier League club, according to a new football finance study.

City are valued at £2.364bn, up £385m, while United are valued £2.087bn, a drop of £376m blamed on "higher wages and lower profit".

The top six account for almost three-quarters of the combined league value.

Burnley are seventh and described as the "most sensibly run club in the Premier League financially".

Overall, the study by the University of Liverpool's Centre for Sports Business Group, found the cumulative value of the league's clubs is £14.7bn, a 1.6% drop.

The two Manchester clubs are the only two valued at more than £2bn in the study for the 2017-18 season.

Spurs (£1.837bn), Liverpool (£1.615bn) and Chelsea (£1.615bn) have seen big rises but Arsenal dropped to £1.368bn without Champions League football.

The top six clubs make up 74% (£10.9bn) of the overall total with Burnley almost £1bn behind Arsenal in sixth.

image.thumb.png.86a841b4aee0e951e1294b45387bb610.png

To calculate their data, the university took into account revenue, profits, non-recurring costs, average profits on player sales over a three-year period, net assets, wage control and proportion of seats sold.

The research says City are top due to a combination of "higher revenue and lower wages". They made £39m in profit from player sales at the beginning of last season, "removing some high earners from the wage bill".

"The ownership model of Sheikh Mansour, which effectively means that the club is debt free, means that there are no loan interest costs and no dividends are paid to shareholders either," the study added.

United came third, behind Real Madrid and Barcelona, in Deloitte's list of the world's richest clubs published in January - but that is just based on revenue.

Other findings:

United had the highest revenue in the league at £590m, with City second on £500m

Spurs have the lowest wage/revenue percentage in the division at 39%, while Palace's is the highest at 78%

Leicester and Arsenal's failure to qualify for the Champions League again saw their value fall

The Gunners made £120m profit on player sales

Burnley are described in the study as the "most sensibly run club in the Premier League financially"

Huddersfield have the lowest wages at £63m, with United's £296m the highest

Chelsea top the table for annual matchday income per fan at £1,791, with Huddersfield making the least at £201

Broadcast revenue accounts for 88% of Bournemouth's value - the highest in the league

Brighton saw a 148% increase in wages - the most in the league

15 hours ago, johanhentze said:

I get why and how this study is done, but in the real world there is no chance in hell that City are more valuable than United. 

Exactly who the fuck is Man City outside of Manchester .No one 

Man Utd are leap years in front of these pretenders fraudsters 

And I'm not a fan of Utd by any stretch 

manchester are definitely the bigger global club. i've seen their tops being worn/sold in all sorts of countries. manchester city have got bigger but they wish they there were as big as united. 

anyway this just shows the gulf between scotland + england. only two big teams up here that anybody outside scotland would bother watching and both of us have only chump change to spend compared to these clubs only a few hundred miles away. 

41 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

Exactly who the fuck is Man City outside of Manchester .No one 

Man Utd are leap years in front of these pretenders fraudsters 

And I'm not a fan of Utd by any stretch 

Man City have always been a big club. Go and look at the clubs history before making daft comments. 

I believe they still hold the record home attendance for the top league in England. 

Just now, kplfishtank said:

Man City have always been a big club. Go and look at the clubs history before making daft comments. 

I believe they still hold the record home attendance for the top league in England. 

The jealousy and hate from some on here is actually pretty poor tbh. They won't take on facts. It's only their own opinions that they believe to be the truth. 

11 minutes ago, kplfishtank said:

Liverpool and Man United are the only big clubs in England. 

11 minutes ago, kplfishtank said:

Manchester United hold the league record for when they were ground sharing at Maine Road. City do hold the record for the FA cup I think though 

1 hour ago, kplfishtank said:

Not in my eyes

They are best example ever of just buying their success

And they still cant win a European trophy or even get to a final throwing money at it 

Having the top attendance in 1940 or whatever doesn't make them a big club 

You could fly anywhere in the world and you wouldn't see a kid with their kit on 

For me. They are pretenders 

And daft comments are what this place is for. You should know

Your top of the league usually 😂

41 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

You couldn't even make BP9 look stupid which says a lot.

All you did was reply with one line sentences with emojs ignoring valid points.

For an old guy all you do is act like an immature teen who resorts to posting laughing faces or talking pish because you can't hold a serious debate or counteract points. 

Stick to talking about refs as its the only thing you come across as semi decent at.

Aww wee lamb 

Stick the dummy back in bud 

That sounds pathetic 

4 hours ago, kplfishtank said:

I dont doubt that CIty have always been a big club, but there is just no way that they are on par with United.. I absolutely despise them, but they are one of the biggest around and that makes them extremely valuable. If both were put up for sale tomorrow then there is no doubt in my mind who would go for more.

4 hours ago, TEFTONG said:

The jealousy and hate from some on here is actually pretty poor tbh. They won't take on facts. It's only their own opinions that they believe to be the truth. 

That's how it works mate .Opinions and we don't have to have the same 

Absolutely nothing to do with jealousy 

You could apply that if I were a fan of the opposition .I ain't 

My opinion is just based on opinion 

Man City are just frauds to the game of football 😉

12 hours ago, johanhentze said:

I dont doubt that CIty have always been a big club, but there is just no way that they are on par with United.. I absolutely despise them, but they are one of the biggest around and that makes them extremely valuable. If both were put up for sale tomorrow then there is no doubt in my mind who would go for more.

I never mentioned United. They are biggest in England but my point was about city being a big club. 

17 hours ago, kplfishtank said:

I never mentioned United. They are biggest in England but my point was about city being a big club. 

I know you didnt. My post wasnt really directed at you.. I just dont agree with the "study" that was done on this.