PC Gaming Build

DeanMK

On 02/11/2019 at 20:30, gogzy said:

I am in the market for a gaming PC bt the prices are pretty steep

I need something with at least these specs

Intel Core i5-3470, 3.20GHz or AMD FX-6300, 3.5Ghz

6 GB RAM

nVIDIA GeForce GTX 660, 2 GB or AMD Radeon HD 7870, 2 GB

I know next to fuck all about computers :lol: but for you guys who have built them before, roughly how much would it cost to build a PC to those specs?  

I already have a tower my nephew used to use, I am sure some stuff like fans and some RAM can be salvaged from that to bring the cost down.   

What's the spec of your nephew's tower?

7 minutes ago, gogzy said:

It's too old :lol:  Took it to my mate and it's like 6 generations old. 

I am going to buy a 2nd hand prebuild.

Probably a good shout mate. 

The specs requirements you've put are actually quite old. You could get something much better for the price range you're looking at.

1 hour ago, DeanMK said:

Probably a good shout mate. 

The specs requirements you've put are actually quite old. You could get something much better for the price range you're looking at.

Yeah I seen one for about 400 quid that seems to be only a couple of generations old.  i7 proccessor and a good graphic cars.

Going to wait till I have some cash hopefully next week, go back to my mate and let him find me one that will do me :lol:

On 11/10/2019 at 08:43, aird said:

My pc is currently lying in bits broken 😭

Waiting for an new(used) cpu to come then I've tested everything to find out what the cause is :depressed:

Finally had a day to sort this after  buying 2nd hand parts of everything and by everything I mean mobo, cpu, ram, psu and a new case for shits and giggles. 

Set it all up, switched on and... Nothing. 

It's my fucking ssd that's shat the bed 😂😂

Ended up with basically 2 identical working pcs 😂

On 19/10/2019 at 00:28, DavieCooper74 said:

NIce components J1mgg. If it were me I would be looking at upgrading your case (airflow will be fucking terrible) and PSU down the line especially with the graphics card you have.

Any advice on new case and psu?

Was looking to spend £150, hoping to get maybe a few deals in the coming weeks. Don't need see through panels, or anything like that.

Was looking at pure base 500 and Corsair rm650

49 minutes ago, j1mgg said:

Was looking to spend £150, hoping to get maybe a few deals in the coming weeks. Don't need see through panels, or anything like that.

Sure,  650w is fine for the setup as long as it's at least a Gold certified PSU.  Future proofing? 750w.

Ideally you'd want one sold by or originally manufactured by Seasonic or Leadex SuperFlower. An example of one manufactured by Seasonic would be EVGA. Want a recommendation then I'd say get the Seasonic Focus. You cannot scrimp on your power supply.

I would not recommend that case or any case that has a side slots or any case that has a solid front. You need to create an positive airflow through your case.

So more fans bringing in air from the front with one expelling air out the rear. 

My personal opinion is look at other options than Corsair (been there with an expensive and shite 800d) look at Phanteks, They now have the P400s Air or if you can afford it, the P600. It's a mid size tower with the space inside of a full tower. A brilliant and easy to build in case with fantastic cable management and tonnes of air flow.

On 02/11/2019 at 20:30, gogzy said:

I am in the market for a gaming PC bt the prices are pretty steep

I need something with at least these specs

Intel Core i5-3470, 3.20GHz or AMD FX-6300, 3.5Ghz

6 GB RAM

nVIDIA GeForce GTX 660, 2 GB or AMD Radeon HD 7870, 2 GB

I know next to fuck all about computers :lol: but for you guys who have built them before, roughly how much would it cost to build a PC to those specs?  

I already have a tower my nephew used to use, I am sure some stuff like fans and some RAM can be salvaged from that to bring the cost down.   

Hey, what games are you looking to play?

if you are building on a budget, I would be tempted to go with the latest APU from AMD.

Its a CPU and Graphics card in one, and better performance than the parts you have listed. Think its about £160.

Good thing about it is that its future proofed, so in a few years, you could add a graphics card, and it will improve it massively. you can also buy a later gen CPU when its out and use it on the same motherboard.

The big question is what you are looking to play though, as this will let us know the best parts for your build. 

@gogzy

If you wanted budget, I would go something like this mate:-

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3400G - £125

Case - Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L - £41

RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory - £56

SSD - Western Digital Blue 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive - £54

Motherboard - MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard - £50

PSU - SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply - £55

Total of around £378.

Edit : I did throw it all in on PCPartPicker and did get a couple of warnings around two issues. Seemed to suggest there might be a size issue with one of the components, not sure where! Also since the CPU is newer than the motherboard, the motherboard may need a BIOS update, although I would be surprised if the boards are shipping still without the update given Ryzen 3 has been out for ages.

2 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

@gogzy

If you wanted budget, I would go something like this mate:-

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3400G - £125

Case - Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L - £41

RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory - £56

SSD - Western Digital Blue 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive - £54

Motherboard - MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard - £50

PSU - SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply - £55

Total of around £378.

Edit : I did throw it all in on PCPartPicker and did get a couple of warnings around two issues. Seemed to suggest there might be a size issue with one of the components, not sure where! Also since the CPU is newer than the motherboard, the motherboard may need a BIOS update, although I would be surprised if the boards are shipping still without the update given Ryzen 3 has been out for ages.

I have decided to just buy a pre built second hand one.  Way easier on the budget lol.

I am getting it to play a game called cities skylines.  But I intend to move into PC gaming not sure which games yet.

6 hours ago, gogzy said:

I have decided to just buy a pre built second hand one.  Way easier on the budget lol.

I am getting it to play a game called cities skylines.  But I intend to move into PC gaming not sure which games yet.

Ah okay, I've got skylines, it's a good wee game.

PC gaming is far better than consoles IMO. 

I would recommend the following games:-

Cities Skylines

Football manager - although prepare to get divorced as your life will disappear.

Software Inc - cheap but really fun little management SIM.

CS:GO - Still king of the shooters.

Dota 2 - Free to play, incredibly steep learning curve, but probably the best game ever. Richest e-sport title in the world.

18 hours ago, DavieCooper74 said:

Sure,  650w is fine for the setup as long as it's at least a Gold certified PSU.  Future proofing? 750w.

Ideally you'd want one sold by or originally manufactured by Seasonic or Leadex SuperFlower. An example of one manufactured by Seasonic would be EVGA. Want a recommendation then I'd say get the Seasonic Focus. You cannot scrimp on your power supply.

I would not recommend that case or any case that has a side slots or any case that has a solid front. You need to create an positive airflow through your case.

So more fans bringing in air from the front with one expelling air out the rear. 

My personal opinion is look at other options than Corsair (been there with an expensive and shite 800d) look at Phanteks, They now have the P400s Air or if you can afford it, the P600. It's a mid size tower with the space inside of a full tower. A brilliant and easy to build in case with fantastic cable management and tonnes of air flow.

Current price

Phanteks eclipse p600s - £120 Inc shipping (under £110 mid August)

SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold - £112 Inc shipping (was £85 mid August)

Looks like mid August is a good time for deals.

20 hours ago, j1mgg said:

This is the case I've got. Had it for 3 years now. Its not massive to look at but there's so much room inside for expansion.

Corsair RM750, RM Series, 80 Plus Gold Certified, 750 W Fully Modular ATX Power Supply - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07S4WS5L4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_UzTYDbRPFTJPT

Built by CWT and includes a 10 year guarantee.

£84.98

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phanteks-eclipse-p400-air-midi-tower-case-black-ca-09f-pt.html

£65

Total = a ball hair under £150

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, j1mgg said:

Never managed to get any deals in black Friday, so waited over a month for nothing.

Today will move from one to the other.

IMG_20191207_145502.jpg

Did you just copy me? lol

Well done on your choice mate. It is a fantastic case with plenty of airflow and plenty of space for a tidy and clean build.

36 minutes ago, DavieCooper74 said:

Did you just copy me? lol

Well done on your choice mate. It is a fantastic case with plenty of airflow and plenty of space for a tidy and clean build.

Downside is my board doesn't have a usb c Gen X yada y connector, only a port on the Io.

Did get a bequiet straight power 11 850w PSU though.

• 1 month later...

My PC is now about 12 yo. XP so useless for internet. Looking for a mid range gaming PC to still be up to the task in 5 years or so. Been a long time since a played anything more demanding than FM so I have no idea what spec I should be looking at. Any suggestions? (700 quid max)