PC Gaming Build

DeanMK

2 minutes ago, blaudrup said:

What's the motherboard then?  Might be it just had one and you used it from the back, say.  I believe there's some kind of adapter solution.  Even then if not some kind of cheap PCI card.  It's the one you want to use ideally.

It's an MSI B550 Gaming Gen 3. Can I just leave it unplugged?

5 minutes ago, lidorfc said:

It's an MSI B550 Gaming Gen 3. Can I just leave it unplugged?

I reckon for now, it would just be the USB-C plug on front of your case that isn't connected to anything.  I think you may be able to get some kind of USB-C to USB-A connector/cable/adapter later (for the motherboard), or a PCI card that will make it useful.

12 minutes ago, blaudrup said:

I reckon for now, it would just be the USB-C plug on front of your case that isn't connected to anything.  I think you may be able to get some kind of USB-C to USB-A connector/cable/adapter later (for the motherboard), or a PCI card that will make it useful.

yeah I've just seen some adapted on Amazon, cheers mate. Almost there! just need to connect up all the power cables now I think and I'm good to go. Gonny be shit scared to turn it on :lol:

last question I think. I got two PCIE cables with my PSU, both are dual 8 and 6+2 pin cables, and my GPU requires 3 8 pin connections. Can I use both connection from 1 cable and a 3rd from the other cable to make up the 3 required connections? 

ChatGPT says you can but I don't want to trust that :lol:

25 minutes ago, lidorfc said:

last question I think. I got two PCIE cables with my PSU, both are dual 8 and 6+2 pin cables, and my GPU requires 3 8 pin connections. Can I use both connection from 1 cable and a 3rd from the other cable to make up the 3 required connections? 

ChatGPT says you can but I don't want to trust that :lol:

Yeah, 6+2 if just for if you had a 6 pin card. 

Admin delete this post if the pc blows up thanks :lol:

29 minutes ago, aird said:

Yeah, 6+2 if just for if you had a 6 pin card. 

Admin delete this post if the pc blows up thanks :lol:

cheers mate, it's almost show time :ang: if I don't post again, I've definitely fried the computer :lol:

2 minutes ago, lidorfc said:

cheers mate, it's almost show time :ang: if I don't post again, I've definitely fried the computer :lol:

You'll be fine. First time I built a pc I forgot to plug in the 2nd 24pin motherboard connector that was under my AIO cooler :ang::lol:

2 hours ago, lidorfc said:

Anyone know what cable this is and where it goes? It's the only one I can't find a port for.

PXL_20230808_142021626.thumb.jpg.c8c52841bce7676a15d388584bd9c4ce.jpg

Does the case have funky lighting built into it? Could be for that although it’s been quite a while since I’ve built one so I could be talking absolute shite.

10 hours ago, lidorfc said:

I have no idea what I'm doing here :lol: it's giving me the fear man!

Google a YouTube channel called PC centric and you’ll get this wee annoying English fellows videos, but he knows what he’s talking about so watch his videos on building and follow it. 

58 minutes ago, lidorfc said:

Does this GPU fully on place? The gold contacts look fully in but there is still a wee space either side. I think I felt it click into place but the wee latch on the right hand side is still loose.

PXL_20230808_200250278.thumb.jpg.fdc3b27327bef608cea49ad6944fa2f3.jpg

Have you tried reaching in to see if you can clip it? 

They do usually pop in like the ram sticks. 

9 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Google a YouTube channel called PC centric and you’ll get this wee annoying English fellows videos, but he knows what he’s talking about so watch his videos on building and follow it. 

I watched his video where he was helping a guy build a pc for the first time, was reallly helpful. 

9 minutes ago, aird said:

Have you tried reaching in to see if you can clip it? 

They do usually pop in like the ram sticks. 

I'm pretty sure it's not in fully, I thought it was but when I turned on the PC there was no HDMI signal. I'm done for the night :lol: away too have a joint and I'll sort the rest out the morra. 

• 2 months later...

Lads, my boy is looking for a monitor for Xmas for his ps5

any decent ones yous can recommend? Also what would be the best size for gaming?

obviously used to consoles and on tv and a traditional of monitor but lost as to what is best for gaming.

any help appreciated 

3 hours ago, RFC55 said:

any decent ones yous can recommend? Also what would be the best size for gaming?

obviously used to consoles and on tv and a traditional of monitor but lost as to what is best for gaming.

any help appreciated 

www.techradar.com

There's a comparison tool on there made put in what use, budget etc and it suggests options. 

5 hours ago, RFC55 said:

any help appreciated 

https://www.techradar.com/best/best-monitors-for-ps5#:~:text=4K capability%2C a 144Hz refresh,for the best PS5 monitor.&text=It may not have the,conscious of keeping costs down

Have a look through here. 

Sizewise will depend on how close he'd be sitting to it.