PC Gaming Build

DeanMK

45 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

cheers mate, i'll get in touch 

I didn't think it would have been so intensive on the RAM front, apologies for not saying sooner. With the motherboard only having 2 ram slots it will a lot cheaper to just get 16gb just now, upgrading later would mean ditching what you already have which is potentially 40 quid wasted. It shouldn't be a huge bump in price, talking like an extra £30/40. (8gb of DDR4 is currently shifting for around 35 quid online where as 16gb is about £65 to £75) If he wants more than the extra 30 or 40 then definitely challenge him!

Just so you can see what i'm talking about, I found a video on youtube. A lot of stutter, particularly when things get busy. Around 1:04 shows you how bad it can get.. it basically sticks for around 14 seconds.

Around 50 seconds

46 minutes ago, Iakona said:

I didn't think it would have been so intensive on the RAM front, apologies for not saying sooner. With the motherboard only having 2 ram slots it will a lot cheaper to just get 16gb just now, upgrading later would mean ditching what you already have which is potentially 40 quid wasted. It shouldn't be a huge bump in price, talking like an extra £30/40. (8gb of DDR4 is currently shifting for around 35 quid online where as 16gb is about £65 to £75) If he wants more than the extra 30 or 40 then definitely challenge him!

Just so you can see what i'm talking about, I found a video on youtube. A lot of stutter, particularly when things get busy. Around 1:04 shows you how bad it can get.. it basically sticks for around 14 seconds.

Around 50 seconds

no probs mate, he's came back with an additional £35 for the upgrade so that seems right from what you say above. 

thats fucking shocking on the 8gb! 

thanks again to  you all for your help, really appreciated. 

55 minutes ago, Iakona said:

Around 50 seconds

That's incredible. Never would have though 8GB of RAM would perform so badly. Tempted to reduce my system to 8GB of RAM and fire up Warzone just to try it. 

8 hours ago, Jamie0202 said:

When building a new PC for the purposes of gaming you can constantly keep talking yourself in to stretching the budget here, stretching the budget there. If I posted a build with an RTX 2060 there would be someone coming a long telling me to push the budget a bit for an RTX 2070. If I posted the RTX 2070 someone would tell me to get the super version. Same with the cpu. If I posted an i5 someone would tell me to push the budget to an i7. I even suggested an upgrade in my own reply to @Brian Fantana

It never stops.

Eventually you have to settle for what you are willing to pay as long as it will do the job you want it to. That desktop for £400 is fantastic value and will do the job. Obviously not at 4k on ultra with a gazillion frames per second but at 1080p that machine will exceed 60fps on COD with a mixture of high and ultra settings.

Im not having a go at anyone suggesting upgrades BTW as like I said I done the very same thing in my reply. Just pointing out that the very nature of PC gaming with the sheer variety of parts you can upgrade means that there will always be something better to upgrade to if you're willing to spend a wee bit extra. Eventually you have to draw a line.

The GPU is fine but is 8GB of RAM and an i3 actually going to run cod? I thought cod would be demanding tbh, that’s all. The upgrades I mentioned might have avoided disappointment and I thought another £100 wasn’t going out the ballpark. 

(edit: well clearly not running well on 8, I have 8 as I went cheap and anything demanding I’m fucked but running Valorant and CS surprisingly ok. Anyway that was just my point if his son wants to enjoy cod. @Jamie0202 @Iakona @Brian Fantana

1 hour ago, CR3 said:

The GPU is fine but is 8GB of RAM and an i3 actually going to run cod? I thought cod would be demanding tbh, that’s all. The upgrades I mentioned might have avoided disappointment and I thought another £100 wasn’t going out the ballpark. 

(edit: well clearly not running well on 8, I have 8 as I went cheap and anything demanding I’m fucked but running Valorant and CS surprisingly ok. Anyway that was just my point if his son wants to enjoy cod. @Jamie0202 @Iakona @Brian Fantana

The i3-9100F run games like COD surprisingly well. Unlike most other i3 processors it has 4 physical cores.

Here's a youtube video running Warzone with a similar set up using an i3-9100F. Note it's the 6GB version of the 1060 and it also has 16GB of RAM.

1 minute ago, Jamie0202 said:

The i3-9100F run games like COD surprisingly well. Unlike most other i3 processors it has 4 physical cores.

Here's a youtube video running Warzone with a similar set up using an i3-9100F. Note it's the 6GB version of the 1060 and it also has 16GB of RAM.

What generation is that i3?

Probably not the biggest factor, think the 16RAM is more important though.

7 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

Not sure about generation but it came out about a year ago. Actually a decent wee CPU for the price. Turbo boosts to 4.2Ghz.

Ah well if it’s a year old that’s fine mate.

Not a huge difference between that and older i5 or could be better! So aye focus was really on the RAM for call of duty, mine on 8 would probably be hopeless at running it. 

36 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Getting the PC tomorrow, guy said he got me:

Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 

as the ram upgrade, take it that’s decent? 

Aye, that's typically what PC gamers are aiming for at the moment. Plus it's a reliable brand(Corsair) so he's not just bumped you with a cheap knock off either.

Though it will probably cap out at around 2666 Mhz as I don't think the motherboard supports 3000+. No harm for your PC and in real world terms there's going to be next to no difference.  Once you get it, if there's anything you need to know just keep asking questions.

3 minutes ago, Iakona said:

Aye, that's typically what PC gamers are aiming for at the moment. Plus it's a reliable brand(Corsair) so he's not just bumped you with a cheap knock off either.

Though it will probably cap out at around 2666 Mhz as I don't think the motherboard supports 3000+. No harm for your PC and in real world terms there's going to be next to no difference.  Once you get it, if there's anything you need to know just keep asking questions.

Cheers bud, really appreciated 

1 minute ago, Jamie0202 said:

How did you get on mate? Is the wee man pleased with it?

It’s a fucking belter mate, got it stashed away just now as his birthdays next month but looks shit hot. I know all the lights and stuff do fuck all for the thing but it looks fucking class, he’ll love it. 

still thinks he’s just getting a couple of games and some other things, will be blown away when he sees it. 

On 30/06/2020 at 18:19, Brian Fantana said:

It’s a fucking belter mate, got it stashed away just now as his birthdays next month but looks shit hot. I know all the lights and stuff do fuck all for the thing but it looks fucking class, he’ll love it. 

still thinks he’s just getting a couple of games and some other things, will be blown away when he sees it. 

If you know what games he plays, and have a slow internet connection, you may want to start downloading them while he is in a bed at night.

On 30/06/2020 at 23:03, Iakona said:

My PSU decided to blow up today. Fucking shat myself.

Hopefully get a replacement tomorrow.. I'll greet if it decided to take my motherboard with it.

No even got access to a spare to check it didn't fry everything else?

23 minutes ago, Getstiffed said:

No even got access to a spare to check it didn't fry everything else?

Nope! My 9 year old XFX Pro died earlier this year. No explosions.. just ran out of juice. Replaced it with a Corsair TX and it barely lasted a month before shitting its pants. Having looked online it seems i'm not the only one who had  TX blow up after a month... Fortunately Amazon are taking it back and refunding me.

It's actually a nightmare getting a PSU at the moment as everywhere is either sold out or selling above what the PSU is worth. CCL have a Seasonic GM 650 for 80 that I'll probably end up buying at this rate.

2 hours ago, Iakona said:

Nope! My 9 year old XFX Pro died earlier this year. No explosions.. just ran out of juice. Replaced it with a Corsair TX and it barely lasted a month before shitting its pants. Having looked online it seems i'm not the only one who had  TX blow up after a month... Fortunately Amazon are taking it back and refunding me.

It's actually a nightmare getting a PSU at the moment as everywhere is either sold out or selling above what the PSU is worth. CCL have a Seasonic GM 650 for 80 that I'll probably end up buying at this rate.

Aye Corsair have made a habit of buying and re-branding some poorly made units the last few years for some reason.

Seasonic is a top brand mate. What's the rating? Silver/Gold?

1 hour ago, Getstiffed said:

Aye Corsair have made a habit of buying and re-branding some poorly made units the last few years for some reason.

Seasonic is a top brand mate. What's the rating? Silver/Gold?

Gold rated bud.

https://www.cclonline.com/product/297627/CORE-GC-650/Power-Supplies/Seasonic-Core-GC-650W-80-PLUS-Gold-Certified-ATX-Power-Supply-Unit/PSU1720/

Aye i've heard some horror stories with the CX range. I  gave them benefit of the doubt as the TX reviewed really well. Pretty sure it's a Seasonic OEM too.. just shite luck I guess. Either way it's enough to put me off buying a Corsair PSU ever again. 

2 hours ago, Iakona said:

Gold rated bud.

https://www.cclonline.com/product/297627/CORE-GC-650/Power-Supplies/Seasonic-Core-GC-650W-80-PLUS-Gold-Certified-ATX-Power-Supply-Unit/PSU1720/

Aye i've heard some horror stories with the CX range. I  gave them benefit of the doubt as the TX reviewed really well. Pretty sure it's a Seasonic OEM too.. just shite luck I guess. Either way it's enough to put me off buying a Corsair PSU ever again. 

I had a Corsair blow out and take the mobo with it. Thankfully it was a shite £60 ASRock micro-atx mobo. 

9 hours ago, Skyson1872 said:

I had a Corsair blow out and take the mobo with it. Thankfully it was a shite £60 ASRock micro-atx mobo. 

Haha maybe they just don't like ASRock Micro ATX boards as that's what's in mine right now. A cheap b450 as I wanted to see what AMD have planned before investing.

If it's taken the Mobo I won't be too bothered to be honest. Aslong as the GPU and CPU are fine.