PC Gaming Build

DeanMK

18 hours ago, Iakona said:

Gold rated bud.

https://www.cclonline.com/product/297627/CORE-GC-650/Power-Supplies/Seasonic-Core-GC-650W-80-PLUS-Gold-Certified-ATX-Power-Supply-Unit/PSU1720/

Aye i've heard some horror stories with the CX range. I  gave them benefit of the doubt as the TX reviewed really well. Pretty sure it's a Seasonic OEM too.. just shite luck I guess. Either way it's enough to put me off buying a Corsair PSU ever again. 

Just realised mines is a TX :lol:

Old age mate

image.thumb.png.6bc656e0720b4e922f9fe2251d3e15d2.png

16 minutes ago, Getstiffed said:

Just realised mines is a TX :lol:

Old age mate

image.thumb.png.6bc656e0720b4e922f9fe2251d3e15d2.png

Haha that's the exact one I had. Aside from shitting it's pants I really liked it.. which is a shame. Absolutely no coil whine and it ran pretty quietly!

9 hours ago, Iakona said:

Haha maybe they just don't like ASRock Micro ATX boards as that's what's in mine right now. A cheap b450 as I wanted to see what AMD have planned before investing.

If it's taken the Mobo I won't be too bothered to be honest. Aslong as the GPU and CPU are fine. 

I'm debating whether to get 10400F I5 or wait and get a Ryzen 5 4600, as well waiting to see how the 4000s perform because I won't be upgrading until like November anyway when the new GPUs are out so I can pick up a 2070 Super or RX 5600XT or something in a price drop.

4 hours ago, Iakona said:

Haha that's the exact one I had. Aside from shitting it's pants I really liked it.. which is a shame. Absolutely no coil whine and it ran pretty quietly!

Well that's mine nearly 2 year old and not had one issue so far.

Did have a weird thing happen recently right enough. Was playing hitman 2, been playing it for a while, and my monitor went onto standby mode and my GPU fans went to 100% at the same time.

19 hours ago, Getstiffed said:

Well that's mine nearly 2 year old and not had one issue so far.

Did have a weird thing happen recently right enough. Was playing hitman 2, been playing it for a while, and my monitor went onto standby mode and my GPU fans went to 100% at the same time.

My seasonic arrived today, reluctant to plug it in now! 😂

17 hours ago, Getstiffed said:

Fuck it mate if its dead you can always open up a working one, lick a capacitor and end it once and for all :lol:

PC building can be a cunt of a hobby.

Haha thankfully it's all working. Had a proper look about and there is no dodgy looking capacitors or burn marks on the Mobo either. As pissed as I was for the Corsair blowing in the first place... It's a sign of a good quality PSU if it blows and only kills itself. 

39 minutes ago, Iakona said:

Haha thankfully it's all working. Had a proper look about and there is no dodgy looking capacitors or burn marks on the Mobo either. As pissed as I was for the Corsair blowing in the first place... It's a sign of a good quality PSU if it blows and only kills itself. 

Exactly mate.......its a great PSU........no chance of it going........none at all.........

tenor.gif?itemid=5016032

13 hours ago, Iakona said:

Just a reminder Watch Dogs 2 is free this Sunday if you log into Uplay  between 20:00 and 20:45.

First one wasn't great, the second one is pretty fun to be honest.

Aye I seen that. Need to try and remember. I've played both and while the first one did get a lot of hate I really enjoyed it.

• 2 weeks later...

PC noob here, went very cheap on a 4th gen i5, 8GB RAM / Nvidia GTX710 setup. £150

Wasn’t really meant for gaming at first, just wanted a PC to fanny about on / use media and Office to apply for jobs etc.

Just wondering how easy it is to upgrade the RAM from 8 to 16? Do I just buy another 8 stick and fire it into the PC or does it all need to sync/ be the same kind as the 8 already in plus will it need anything done in regards to getting it to work with drivers or software?

37 minutes ago, CR3 said:

PC noob here, went very cheap on a 4th gen i5, 8GB RAM / Nvidia GTX710 setup. £150

Wasn’t really meant for gaming at first, just wanted a PC to fanny about on / use media and Office to apply for jobs etc.

Just wondering how easy it is to upgrade the RAM from 8 to 16? Do I just buy another 8 stick and fire it into the PC or does it all need to sync/ the same kind as the 8 already in plus will it need anything done in regards to getting it to work with drivers or software?

Is it one stick of 8gb RAM or two 4GB sticks? What's the memories frequency? It'll be a four digit number with Mhz after it in case you're not savvy

9 minutes ago, Getstiffed said:

Is it one stick of 8gb RAM or two 4GB sticks? What's the memories frequency? It'll be a four digit number with Mhz after it in case you're not savvy

just says 8GB DDR3. Would need to see Mhz but I’m guessing they are like 1333 or 1600?

20 minutes ago, CR3 said:

just says 8GB DDR3. Would need to see Mhz but I’m guessing they are like 1333 or 1600?

Well the Mhz are important if you're gonna buy another 8gb but so is finding out if its 2 sticks of RAM or one.

Say for instance the RAM you have is 1333 you don't want to be buying something that has timings far different than that. Ideally the Mhz would be the same.

Don’t know if this is best place to put this. But does anyone know any good deals for laptop that is good enough to play the newest version of football manager? Don’t want to spend a lot as this is all I will be using it for. Also I have no clue when it comes to things to do with laptops. Cheers 

On 21/07/2020 at 13:20, CR3 said:

Just wondering how easy it is to upgrade the RAM from 8 to 16? Do I just buy another 8 stick and fire it into the PC or does it all need to sync/ be the same kind as the 8 already in plus will it need anything done in regards to getting it to work with drivers or software?

Genuine question. Why do you want to upgrade the RAM to 16GB? With the specs of the rest of the components I can't really think of a reason where that would be very helpful. You mention gaming so not sure if that's your reason or not but upgrading the RAM won't give you better gaming performance.

If you still want to upgrade then crucial.com have an online program which scans your computer for compatible upgrades.

7 hours ago, Jamie0202 said:

Genuine question. Why do you want to upgrade the RAM to 16GB? With the specs of the rest of the components I can't really think of a reason where that would be very helpful. You mention gaming so not sure if that's your reason or not but upgrading the RAM won't give you better gaming performance.

If you still want to upgrade then crucial.com have an online program which scans your computer for compatible upgrades.

Basically this.

@CR3 What games are you planning on playing out of interest?

2 hours ago, CR3 said:

Halo on PC, CS. Both play OK on Low but halo straining a lot more on frames and general play.

It is what it is mate for the price. Like you said you originally bought it for low level stuff like media and office.

As said before upgrading RAM won't help achieve a better performance in gaming. Upgrading the GPU will however. You could upgrade to a more powerful used geforce 7 series for not too expensive a price. A reasonable new GPU upgrade would be going up to the  geforce 10 series but that's a lot more expensive than a stick of RAM. You're talking about roughly the price you paid for the whole machine just on a lower end 10 series GPU. I wouldn't go higher than that as the CPU (even though you haven't told us the exact 4th gen i5) will likely hold back a GPU much higher than that. The mobo will probably be okay for either upgrade but you'll likely have to upgrade the PSU as well at even more cost which isn't a product you want to go cheap on as it can fuck up your whole system. 

TL:DR. If you're serious about getting in to PC gaming then a new machine built with gaming in mind would be your best bet. The PC that @Brian Fantana got built recently is very decent for the price showing that you don't have to spend ridiculous money to get good PC performance. Have a look further back in this thread. 

9 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

It is what it is mate for the price. Like you said you originally bought it for low level stuff like media and office.

As said before upgrading RAM won't help achieve a better performance in gaming. Upgrading the GPU will however. A reasonable upgrade would be going up to the  geforce 10 series but that's a lot more expensive than a stick of RAM. You're talking about roughly the price you paid for the whole machine just on a lower end 10 series GPU. I wouldn't go higher than that as the CPU (even though you haven't told us the exact 4th gen i5) will likely hold back a GPU much higher than that. The mobo will probably be okay but you'll likely have to upgrade the PSU as well at even more cost which isn't a product you want to go cheap on as it can fuck up your whole system. 

TL:DR. If you're serious about getting in to PC gaming then a new machine built with gaming in mind would be your best bet. The PC that @Brian Fantana got built recently is very decent for the price showing that you don't have to spend ridiculous money to get good PC performance. Have a look further back in this thread. 

aye cheers, I'm in limbo as to whether or not I want to go all out or half arsed with something like a 16GB RAM & 1050-1070 just to get a medium experience..

The problem is that I went and got a 4k HDR gaming setup with a tv and xbox one x, now even though it's capped at 60 fps, can you think of how expensive a 4k HDR gaming compatible PC would be with a monitor that does all of the above also.. Extortionate. Taking all into account, it's unlikely I'm going to drop 2 grand on that unless I sacked console play all together at the end of the year or felt like totally 'going for it'.  

2 minutes ago, Raligt said:

Can anyone recommend a good headset? Mines plays up at times and goes all static. Need to constantly pull the usb oot and put it back in to get it to work

I've been Astro A40 and Mixamp Pro for years. The white one can be used for Xbox and PC. Recommend, pricey but good 'virtualised' 7.1 surround.

11 minutes ago, Raligt said:

Can anyone recommend a good headset? Mines plays up at times and goes all static. Need to constantly pull the usb oot and put it back in to get it to work

I had a set of steelseries Siberia’s that were good until my nephew decided to sit on them, Replaced them with Corsair hs50’s

would recommend both, not expensive and does the job.

30 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

As said before upgrading RAM won't help achieve a better performance in gaming. Upgrading the GPU will however. You could upgrade to a more powerful used geforce 7 series for not too expensive a price. A reasonable new GPU upgrade would be going up to the  geforce 10 series but that's a lot more expensive than a stick of RAM. You're talking about roughly the price you paid for the whole machine just on a lower end 10 series GPU. I wouldn't go higher than that as the CPU (even though you haven't told us the exact 4th gen i5) will likely hold back a GPU much higher than that. The mobo will probably be okay for either upgrade but you'll likely have to upgrade the PSU as well at even more cost which isn't a product you want to go cheap on as it can fuck up your whole system. 

You can still get a half decent deal in the 2nd hand market if you know what you are buying, I bought a MSI gaming 5 mobo with an i7 4790k, 16GB ddr3 and some artic air cooler for £200 on gumtree, matched that with a second hand 1070ti also via gumtree, add in a mid range PSU and a phanteks p300 case, good to go.

Had my moneys worth over the last 2 year.