Thoughts on the first team so far

hando

4 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Its going to be some left back coming in if he puts in a better performance than Haliday done last night and has done for months now. The shit this guy gets on here is laughable , if any others were as consistent as this guy has been they would be superstars on here.

Should be starting before Barasic or Flanigan and only if his form drops we use the other two , just like any other position in the side. If we end up going for another left back , I would be punting Barasic before Haliday.........

Halliday is a decent player, but he’s a squad player. His versatility will mean he will not hold down a position consistently.

5 minutes ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Halliday is a decent player, but he’s a squad player. His versatility will mean he will not hold down a position consistently.

Hes like the whole squad then because we dont see consistency from any of them. He has been superb now for months and as long as it continues he should be starting.

If he fucks up like Barasic and Flanigan both have in the past , drop him but right now hes easily the best of the three.

If Barasic had a game like Haliday last night he would be a £20m player on here today..........

2 hours ago, thehost said:

we showed the same frailties as last year

profligate in front of goal

a bombscare when ran at

light in midfield when closed down

an annoying habit of dropping the tempo and knocking the ball about, side to side, for large chunks of a match

positive is we have greater depth 

last night was a carbon copy of last season

The difference between last night and last year was we scored 2 goals that we may not have scored last season 

1 minute ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Seriously? You don’t see anything in Barisic?

Yet even last season everyone spunked their pants over coulibally to start with.

You are just like most of us on here , we all thought this guy looked a player at the start. As time went on he failed miserably almost every chance he gets , hes gutless and nowhere near good enough when we play better sides........

7 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Hes like the whole squad then because we dont see consistency from any of them. He has been superb now for months and as long as it continues he should be starting.

If he fucks up like Barasic and Flanigan both have in the past , drop him but right now hes easily the best of the three.

If Barasic had a game like Haliday last night he would be a £20m player on here today..........

I thought Halliday was solid last night but as we have done before many times, it’s square pegs for round holes, Broadfoot as a full back, Dominic Ball as a holding midfielder, Halliday as a left back. All the same, played out of position.

Halliday was a winger and now plays anywhere he’s asked too because he’s so keen to play.

He will be a valuable squad player but he’s nowhere near the level of player that Barisic is.

Just now, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

I thought Halliday was solid last night but as we have done before many times, it’s square pegs for round holes, Broadfoot as a full back, Dominic Ball as a holding midfielder, Halliday as a left back. All the same, played out of position.

Halliday was a winger and now plays anywhere he’s asked too because he’s so keen to play.

He will be a valuable squad player but he’s nowhere near the level of player that Barisic is.

That last sentence is absolutely bonkers , what level has this guy shown every time he gets on the park because I have never seen anything to suggest he has the quality required to be at the club.........

1 minute ago, sassaaaa said:

You are just like most of us on here , we all thought this guy looked a player at the start. As time went on he failed miserably almost every chance he gets , hes gutless and nowhere near good enough when we play better sides........

Yet Gerrard has heaped praise on him for his attitude, performance etc through pre season? 

Anyone who thinks he’s nowhere near good enough is just a fool. It’s taken him time to settle into the club and he hasn’t performed consistently, but he’s s very talented player and if we get it right with him I fully believe he will be a huge player for us and will assist many goals over the season.

LB, LW and RW still feel weak, especially LW.

Kent comes back and I feel 10x happier. 

Ojo looks like he might be the anti-Kent, in the sense he won't always play well but will pop up with a goal or assist. Instead of Kent who always plays well but doesn't always have an end product.

Just now, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Barisic still looks a bit frail defensively for me. The quality in his passing and crossing is several levels above Halliday's though.

Crossing, probably. Passing? Not so sure

1 minute ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Yet Gerrard has heaped praise on him for his attitude, performance etc through pre season? 

Anyone who thinks he’s nowhere near good enough is just a fool. It’s taken him time to settle into the club and he hasn’t performed consistently, but he’s s very talented player and if we get it right with him I fully believe he will be a huge player for us and will assist many goals over the season.

Haha , Gerrard keeps dropping him because hes not good enough.

All about opinions.........

Just now, sassaaaa said:

That last sentence is absolutely bonkers , what level has this guy shown every time he gets on the park because I have never seen anything to suggest he has the quality required to be at the club.........

He has put in several performances that were excellent, he’s also had some stinkers but give him a chance.

Like I said, he has taken time to settle, it happens.

The guy is first choice left back for his country ffs.

Just now, Broxi said:

Crossing, probably. Passing? Not so sure

Disagree mate. Halliday's done well for us and played well last night but it's obvious when watching him that he's a limited player. Barisic's play looks 'cuter' for the want of a better term, there's more variation in the balls he plays down the line and a better 'weight' on them. 

Maybe there is a question to be put to Gerrard and Allen about whether they really have delivered enough on their promise made at the end of the season about bringing in quality players.   Marquee was the term I believe they used.  This transfer window was not supposed to be about quantity of signings but about improving quality.     Even if its believed to be the case that the additions (balanced with the leavers) results in an overall improvement in quality an open question would be whether the improvement has gone far enough.   I don't think so at present. 

All that ST money from bigger than ever ST sales.   Has enough been spent on adding the sort of quality players that would be likely to make the difference between being also rans in the league again and in actually winning a cup trophy and not shuffling out dismally through the knock-out phases?    

Maybe more of the quality marquee additions are still to come.   

And then again maybe not and the cash is just kept for another day and to help improve the appearance of the balance sheet (or for contract default payouts to SD and maybe yet Elite).   At some point journos may get round to asking Gerrard whether his transfer budget and transfer plans have had to be trimmed because money is going to be diverted to pay out on Rangers defaulting on its contracts.  

2 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Disagree mate. Halliday's done well for us and played well last night but it's obvious when watching him that he's a limited player. Barisic's play looks 'cuter' for the want of a better term, there's more variation in the balls he plays down the line and a better 'weight' on them. 

I would rather have Halliday on the ball in a tight space  with opposition players running at him under pressure to play a pass out of danger. Barisic has felt clumsy when put under pressure and I know the type of pass you're talking about and Halliday could make them just as well imo

1 minute ago, Broxi said:

I would rather have Halliday on the ball in a tight space  with opposition players running at him under pressure to play a pass out of danger. Barisic has felt clumsy when put under pressure and I know the type of pass you're talking about and Halliday could make them just as well imo

Fair enough - agree to disagree.

6 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

This is just fuckin comical , he plays cuter and has a better weight , does that really make him better than Haliday FFS..........

3 hours ago, Creampuff said:

Let’s be unequivocal here.

There are no circumstances in which Andy Halliday being our first choice leftback this season is acceptable. 

We either have faith in Barisic, or we sign a new leftback.

Halliday can fill in whenever or wherever  needed but he's not a first choice anywhere.