The coronavirus and the sfa

MacBoyd

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

They haven't made it up as theyve gone along though.

The season is 38 games in normal circumstances but as you've noticed, we're not in normal circumstances and the board need to have some sort of mechanism to end the season otherwise it'll just run on until such time as all games are completed - whenver that will be.

It's hardly corruption and is quite likely to be how most will end up deciding their domestic titles.

No they don’t.

A game abandoned after 80 minutes is not awarded to the team leading.

It is abandoned and restarted.

UEFA decision on Tuesday will be hugely influential and I expect most leagues will follow their lead.

An attempt by the fenian cabal at Hampden to buck that trend will shine a spotlight (and they really hate that word) on the corruption in the Scottish game.

Sport has to be about fair play above all else and awarding victory before a contest is complete is the very antithesis of the sporting ideal.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BlueThunder said:

You could use the same argument about the 2 OF they are about to lose for this season as an excuse not to simply hand the filth the title.

I’m sure the split could be adjusted to accommodate the 2 extra OF games. Yes, teams would complain about losing on OF game x 2 but these are extreme circumstances.

No matter which way you slice it there are parties who are going to be unhappy with whatever decision.

The two they are losing are well beyond Sky or the SPFL's control. They cant show games which simply wont be taking place.

Just now, Colin Traive said:

No they don’t.

A game abandoned after 80 minutes is not awarded to the team leading.

It is abandoned and restarted.

UEFA decision on Tuesday will be hugely influential and I expect most leagues will follow their lead.

An attempt by the fenian cabal at Hampden to buck that trend will shine a spotlight (and they really hate that word) on the corruption in the Scottish game.

Sport has to be about fair play above all else and awarding victory before a contest is complete is the very antithesis of the sporting ideal.

Because the rules dictate so.

UEFA will tell domestic associations that it is up to them to resolve their domestic championships. There will be no one-size fits all solution applied across Europe.

The Premier League are expected to give Liverpool the title. That down to corruption too?

They wouldnt be awarding anyhing before the contest is complete. As of now its complete. The 19/20 season is over. Finished. Kaput.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

It doesn't relate to the specific dates. There's no cast-iron dates enforced in the rulebook.

Nothing mentions null and void either. Literally no rule gives the board the power to declare the competition null and void but it appears you want to have it both ways.

So you’re saying you can award the title before the 38 games are played because they have complete discretion but they can’t declare it null and void despite having complete discretion?

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Better not tell Alex what happens if an F1 race can't go the full distance.

That will be the 2 hour rule that everyone knows in the sport and adjusts tactics to suit the scenario. Not the same thing at all

3 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

So you’re saying you can award the title before the 38 games are played because they have complete discretion but they can’t declare it null and void despite having complete discretion?

No, I'm saying the board have the discretion to call it now, declare it void, or decide to wait and play out all 38 games based on the interpretation of the rules as I see it.

SIMA seems to think it only relates specifically to the dates which means the board have no power to declare it null and void as it only relates to the dates of the fixtures and there's no other mechanism that would allow them to do so.

11 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Because the rules dictate so.

UEFA will tell domestic associations that it is up to them to resolve their domestic championships. There will be no one-size fits all solution applied across Europe.

The Premier League are expected to give Liverpool the title. That down to corruption too?

They wouldnt be awarding anyhing before the contest is complete. As of now its complete. The 19/20 season is over. Finished. Kaput.

Do you think that, if UEFA abandon the EL and CL for this season, that will have no influence on what the national associations do?

I understand the autonomy principle but there will be great pressure to adopt a common response across all member associations.

In the event that the tide moves toward abandonment, those countries awarding prizes with matches outstanding will stick out like sore thumbs.

Just now, dummiesoot said:

That will be the 2 hour rule that everyone knows in the sport and adjusts tactics to suit the scenario. Not the same thing at all

Nope. Not the two hour rule. That's a different rule. Race goes X number of laps or two hours. Whichever is completed first.

If a race is red flagged after a certain distance and doesn't restart it is rolled back to the previous completed lap and the result from there stands. It isn't voided, it doesn't get reorganised. The result stands and th bookies pay out despite the race not finishing the originally mandated distance.

Just now, The Dude said:

It doesn't relate to the specific dates. There's no cast-iron dates enforced in the rulebook.

Nothing mentions null and void either. Literally no rule gives the board the power to declare the competition null and void but it appears you want to have it both ways.

Theres no dates mentioned as they'd have to change the rule book every year. The definition specifies the word dates, specifies first and last date, and these are published in advance of the season. If they didnt have the term inserted about as dictated by the Board they would be leaving themselves open to being unable to change first / last dates should they require to.

I'd say the rules say 38 games in a season, after which the season champions club is established. Dates within that season can change. If the season isn't completed as per the rule book then it remains incomplete eternally, or it needs to be classed as unfulfilled and obsolete which effevtively it is.

You're suggesting that its 38 games a season although the board can reduce that number. This then tenders c13 illogical as the 1st part of the sentence contradicts the 2nd part of it. But that seems ok even though there's no mention of legitimately reducing games. But that fudge would indeed end the season and allow top to get rewarded, bottom to get relegated. 

Your analysis is simply flawed and its bastardising rules to fit a narrative.

1 minute ago, Colin Traive said:

Do you think that, if UEFA abandon the EL and CL for this season, that will have no influence on what the national associations do?

I understand the autonomy principle but there will be great pressure to adopt a common response across all member associations.

In the even that the tide moves toward abandonment, those countries awarding prizes with matches outstanding will stick out like sore thumbs.

Yes they wont interfere. There's no one solution that suits every league. Germany are confident they will be able to be playing again within weeks, Scottish clubs expect to be out of action until August. How do you come up with a solution which suits both of those countries?

1 minute ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Theres no dates mentioned as they'd have to change the rule book every year. The definition specifies the word dates, specifies first and last date, and these are published in advance of the season. If they didnt have the term inserted about as dictated by the Board they would be leaving themselves open to being unable to change first / last dates should they require to.

I'd say the rules say 38 games in a season, after which the season champions club is established. Dates within that season can change. If the season isn't completed as per the rule book then it remains incomplete eternally, or it needs to be classed as unfulfilled and obsolete which effevtively it is.

You're suggesting that its 38 games a season although the board can reduce that number. This then tenders c13 illogical as the 1st part of the sentence contradicts the 2nd part of it. But that seems ok even though there's no mention of legitimately reducing games. But that fudge would indeed end the season and allow top to get rewarded, bottom to get relegated. 

Your analysis is simply flawed and its bastardising rules to fit a narrative.

The rule book IS updated and reissued every year.

There's nothing in the rules about declaring champions which mentions 38 games. Simply most points at the end of the Season and the SPFL's definition of season is pretty clear.

Again, not my analysis but the advice being given to clubs by the SPFL. Who I'm sure have had legal advice on their position - as will clubs.

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

In F1 if a race isn't finished it isn't declared void. 

No. If it’s red flagged before it finishes, the track positions at the end of the previous lap are the final race standings. There’s a certain number of laps that have to be completed before full points are awarded. If that number hasn’t been achieved, it’s only half points.

5 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Dont go there 😁

I’m starting to like this average points per games but to make it work they need to base it on a date that was known about at the start of the season. The points counted should be calculated after the last game before the winter break.

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

No, I'm saying the board have the discretion to call it now, declare it void, or decide to wait and play out all 38 games based on the interpretation of the rules as I see it.

SIMA seems to think it only relates specifically to the dates which means the board have no power to declare it null and void as it only relates to the dates of the fixtures and there's no other mechanism that would allow them to do so.

He can fight his own corner but I think he was challenging your cherrypicking of the rules.

Glad to see you’ve now acknowledged that “null and void”, although not specified in the rules, is an option. That’s progress.

You can’t have complete discretion yet still have no go areas.

Archived