Ibrox Floodlights.

tannerall

Used to love Wednesday floodlit night games, especially the big European games. 

Walking up from the subway and seeing the brighter light in the sky, always gave me a wee tingle of expectation, then through the turnstyle, up the stairs through the opening to the terrace and the whole park was lit up the grass looked greener, the lines looked whiter, and the arena was swathed in bright light waiting for the teams to come out. Glorious.

And of course the floodlights were, and are,  synonomous with the big European games on a Wednesday, (and Thursday now).

Waiting for the teams to come out and line up on the park at the tunnel, then seeing the different jerseys of the foreign teams wore was an exotic  novelty at the time. No internet then to see what the foreign away strips were like. 

So post any stories the floodlights. or floodlit games.   

And a few questions:

Was anyone on here at the game (s) in 1955 when the lights were switched on ?

What happened before 1955, especially in winter, were games only played on Saturdays. ?

Were the floodlights allowed during the seventies power cuts ?

Did they ever fail  ?    (I  don't remember that happening.) 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Slightly off topic, but here's a decent photo of Gers fans scaling the floodlights at St James PArk in 1969.

9e742fea9ee4246373ad1df113759d64.jpg

Changed times eh, I canny help from thinking how many people would get sacked if something like that happened today 😂 Cunts in the media would go into a spasm.

Quality pic.

I understood that our old floodlights on the top of the old Main Stand roof were because of the proximity of Glasgow Airport (ie Lights on high pylons were not allowed / would cause issues for the airport) - can anyone confirm this?

12 minutes ago, savenosouls said:

I understood that our old floodlights on the top of the old Main Stand roof were because of the proximity of Glasgow Airport (ie Lights on high pylons were not allowed / would cause issues for the airport) - can anyone confirm this?

That'll be an urban myth. No reason that it'd interfere with Glasgow Airport.

26 minutes ago, savenosouls said:

Heard this too. Unsure if it’s actually correct or not.

2 minutes ago, LochendBilly said:

Abbotsinch?

Abbotsinch was the pre Glasgow Airport military airfield. Renfrew was the passenger airport. I played in its rubble as a boy.

3 minutes ago, The Big Sleeper said:

Was there not  a wee airport at Renfrew back in the day which may have been the reason?

Would be surprised. Given the distance I can't see the issue. Especially given that Love Street had them, and it was closer.

Just now, The Big Sleeper said:

I always thought Abbotsinch was the name of Glasgow Airport before they called it that.

Renfrew was a wee diddy airport that closed in the 60s when the big new one took over.

Small yes, but not massively so for the time. Had a stunning terminal. Disgrace it was demolished.

1 minute ago, The Big Sleeper said:

Good point. The only other possible reason then may have been flight paths.

Firhill would have been more on the flight path and it had pylons. Ibrox was well offset.

The runway of Renfrew was basically the bit of motorway running from Paisley to Hillington. That stretch was built pretty much on top of the old runway, hence that stretch of road being long and straight.

Like I say, you never know, but I can't see it.

Archived