Sandy Jardine

pcbear

On 20/04/2020 at 01:09, The Widow's Son said:

And why was Derek Johnstone - top goalscorer in Scotland in 1977-1978 with 40 goals - brought to the World Cup but did not play?  

Scored in the games against Northern Ireland and Wales and was dropped for the England game.

2 hours ago, southcoastbear said:

8 years today since this legend of the club left us.

A talent well ahead of his time and arguably the first modern day fullback.

An absolute gentleman and true ambassador for our club who must truely be sorely missed by family and friends as well as the Ibrox faithful

The goal against the taigs in the Drybrough Cup final was brilliant, unfortunately for Sandy, and I'm sure he said it himself, it was overshadowed because of Coops magical goal in the same game. World class full back was oor Sandy and a fantastic ambassador for the club.

2 hours ago, real boydie9 said:

The goal against the taigs in the Drybrough Cup final was brilliant, unfortunately for Sandy, and I'm sure he said it himself, it was overshadowed because of Coops magical goal in the same game. World class full back was oor Sandy and a fantastic ambassador for the club.

I’ve never seen Sandy’s goal in this game mate seen the Cooper one hundreds of times though. 

is there footage of it about?

is it the goal at 36 seconds in that video posted?

5 minutes ago, ianferguson said:

Danny McGrain was a top fullback with a tremendous engine but for me Sandy was a Rolls Royce and easily world class and the better player.

McGrain kept Sandy out of the Scotland team for the most part. I remember thinking at the time he was unfairly treated.

Two good fullbacks mind you.

4 hours ago, bluenoz said:

McGrain kept Sandy out of the Scotland team for the most part. I remember thinking at the time he was unfairly treated.

Two good fullbacks mind you.

Goals , sandy 45, McGrain 4. Sandy could play as a forward and won the Scottish Player of the year as a sweeper for Hearts at 36, McGrain not as talented imo.

17 minutes ago, ianferguson said:

Goals , sandy 45, McGrain 4. Sandy could play as a forward and won the Scottish Player of the year as a sweeper for Hearts at 36, McGrain not as talented imo.

Sandy was a classy full back. He was more versatile than McGrain who has been mentioned.

As you said in your post he played sweeper at Hearts and won player of the year with them, some achievement at that age. He also won the award with the Rangers, 1974/75 season.

McGrain was a very good full back but Sandy was the superior all round player.

I've followed the Rangers for a very long time and I've honestly never seen anyone better in the Scottish game.