Sandy Jardine

pcbear

23 minutes ago, pcbear said:

My big pal died the same week as Sandy Jardine, I had a look to see how long ago it was and can't believe it is 6 years ago, two of the best Rangers ever gone in the same week.

Sandy was the best right back I've ever seen. Remember him against Valencia around 1979. Kempess was playing.  Sandy was super. He became my favourite player after that game. Tommy McLean scored an equaliser in the 1st leg that I was at but they done us at Ibrox.

29 minutes ago, pcbear said:

My big pal died the same week as Sandy Jardine, I had a look to see how long ago it was and can't believe it is 6 years ago, two of the best Rangers ever gone in the same week.

Yep. Also can't believe it's that long ago. Super Ally was brilliant with his 'we don't do walking away ' speech but Sandy was brilliant in the back ground. 

5 minutes ago, pcbear said:

Only got 39 Scottish caps which was way too few for a player of such ability, still 39 more than Bobby Russell which was criminal a man of sublime talent got no international recognition, Danny McGrain was also a brilliant rb  but he sometimes got shunted to the left for Jardine to continue at rb.

Which spoke volumes about how good a rb Sandy was. In fairness Danny was also a great full back right or left. 

2 hours ago, pcbear said:

Only got 39 Scottish caps which was way too few for a player of such ability, still 39 more than Bobby Russell which was criminal a man of sublime talent got no international recognition, Danny McGrain was also a brilliant rb  but he sometimes got shunted to the left for Jardine to continue at rb.

Ever since I was born Scotland have persisted with very strange team selections.

Even well before my time I look sometimes at old line ups and they baffle me. Like, how did John McGovern not get a single cap for Scotland yet he captained Forest to two European Cups? Why did Alan Hansen and Graeme Souness not get much game time in 78 etc?

Tommy Docherty, Willie Ormond and Ally MacLeod were the managers during the 70's and picked successful  teams despite the combative nature of Scottish football and the injuies that ensued. A lot of players did not get the call up's they deserved due to injuries. But, some choices by the managers were head scratching, DJ and Bobby Russell are just 2.

23 hours ago, My Fathers Scarf said:

Sandy was the best right back I've ever seen. Remember him against Valencia around 1979. Kempess was playing.  Sandy was super. He became my favourite player after that game. Tommy McLean scored an equaliser in the 1st leg that I was at but they done us at Ibrox.

got to agree if i was putting my all time favorite Rangers team i had seen Sandy would defo be my right back 

1 hour ago, hawkfalcons said:

got to agree if i was putting my all time favorite Rangers team i had seen Sandy would defo be my right back 

I'm sure I remember him scoring 2 goals in a game and he couldn't remember them. He'd been suffering from concussion. He scored a good few in his years.

8 hours ago, My Fathers Scarf said:

I'm sure I remember him scoring 2 goals in a game and he couldn't remember them. He'd been suffering from concussion. He scored a good few in his years.

He also scored a belter in the game v celtic when Cooper scored "that" goal, John Macdonald also scored a goodun that day.

On 19/04/2020 at 21:36, pcbear said:

Whilst I agree Russell was a decent player he wasn’t good enough for Scotland at the time he was playing  he was unlucky that Scotland had at least a dozen better players in midfield area   Jardine was a Rolls Royce of a player a fabulous footballer who was a brilliant right back  he was also  a very good midfielder and adapted to play sweeper when he moved to Hearts  and remember he started out as a centre forward when breaking into the first team too. Sadly missed 

1 hour ago, GeeSS said:

Whilst I agree Russell was a decent player he wasn’t good enough for Scotland at the time he was playing  he was unlucky that Scotland had at least a dozen better players in midfield area   Jardine was a Rolls Royce of a player a fabulous footballer who was a brilliant right back  he was also  a very good midfielder and adapted to play sweeper when he moved to Hearts  and remember he started out as a centre forward when breaking into the first team too. Sadly missed 

Decent? it is all about opinions and imo  Bobby Russell was a classy footballer who was let go far too soon, and for what its worth Cooper as well, the only other player apart from these two who I thought left too early was Tugay who graced the Premiership for 7 or 8 seasons after leaving us, Souness was Blackburn manager at the time if I remember correctly.

I agree with Sandy Jardine though, William Jardine was his name  I seem to remember reading somewhere "Sandy" was adopted because of the colour of his hair 

On 19/04/2020 at 20:48, My Fathers Scarf said:

Bonhoff and Kempes done as that night .

2 World class players at that time .

4 hours ago, pcbear said:

Decent? it is all about opinions and imo  Bobby Russell was a classy footballer who was let go far too soon, and for what its worth Cooper as well, the only other player apart from these two who I thought left too early was Tugay who graced the Premiership for 7 or 8 seasons after leaving us, Souness was Blackburn manager at the time if I remember correctly.

I agree with Sandy Jardine though, William Jardine was his name  I seem to remember reading somewhere "Sandy" was adopted because of the colour of his hair 

As you say all about opinions but in the era that Russell was playing in if he was as good as you think he was he would have went down south that’s where all the best went and as far as I am aware we didn’t receive and inquiries or bids  remember this is well before Souness era and big wages  Russell was a good player and a great signing but never even close to breaking into a very talented midfield of the Scotland squad  

On 19/04/2020 at 21:32, Colin Traive said:

Incredibly versatile and one of our greatest ever players.

Remember a game where he was given the job of man-marking Eusebio.

You wouldn’t have known Eusebio was playing, Jardine did such a great job.

And not by fouling, I may add.

He was Scotland and Rangers greatest ever right back.

That tactic prompted many a coach to man mark a star opponent out of the game, it lasted for the next 20 years. 

You would coach - “follow him everywhere” and he would literally follow him all round the pitch.

It was pre-zoning though, ah them were ‘t days!

On 21/04/2020 at 08:52, pcbear said:

William Alexander Jardine.

Think Sandy came from Alexander rather than his hair colour.

On 20/04/2020 at 00:16, McEwan's Lager said:

Ever since I was born Scotland have persisted with very strange team selections.

Even well before my time I look sometimes at old line ups and they baffle me. Like, how did John McGovern not get a single cap for Scotland yet he captained Forest to two European Cups? Why did Alan Hansen and Graeme Souness not get much game time in 78 etc?

You had legends of the game like Asa fuckin Hartford playing in midfield 😛

Crazy to think back the amount of quality Scotland produced back then ,Belgium have their golden generation now ,we wonder when it might be our time ,but he have had it and sit was mid 70s to mid 80s and couldn’t make them a decent team 😔