Ronaldo 9

Could well have become the greatest ever if he didn't have such horrific injuries. The player at Real Madrid was a shadow of what he once was. We never got to see Ronaldo peak.

Ronaldo in the late 90s was just so far ahead of everybody. So direct, powerful, brilliant dribbler and brilliant finisher. When he was on it, and he was most weeks, he just destroyed defences. He was phenomenal before the knee injuries. It's testiment to his talent that he was able to adapt his style and still remain a top player after his injuries.

Mbappe reminds me a lot of him with his style.

To be anachronistic, in 96/97 he was a cyborg combination  of Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. The best and most dangerous all round forward football has ever seen.

I'm not totally convinced that it was simply the injuries that made him adapt his game, I think he also got lazy because he had so many good players supporting him at Real Madrid he became happy just to be a poacher at times.

Can remember the day well ,31st May 1997 ,we were down Blackpool for a stag do ,We jumped in a taxi pished ,taxi driver the usual ,what team etc ,He then told us that Rangers had put in a bid for Ronaldo 20m ,we didn’t believe him till we got home and the stories were going about ,

He never took Minty up on his offer due to the cultural differences of Scottish football from what he was used to ,

Would have been the ultimate signing ,At the time he was easily the best in the world ,The pace he had in his early days at PSV and Barca was unreal plus he had the power and accuracy to go with it ,only injury stopped him being the greatest striker ever 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived