“We’ve seen this film before.”

CR3

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, GersInCanada said:

Having had a few drinks to calm me down I want to put things in perspective.

Their first goal was an error by our keeper. No way he should let that through his legs. Their second was offside. We dominated the match but at 1-2 failed to put the game to bed - too many squandered chances.

Europe is important to our finances and beyond doubt Gerrard has improved us.

scum have a game in hand but we sit top of the league and undefeated domestically this season.

I get the anger from posters as I had it before I calmed down.

See when I read stuff like that, it really hammers home how little some folk know about football.

19 hours ago, TMB said:

No, I don’t agree.  It’s the same conversation every summer.  ‘Let’s go out of Europe early and focus on domestic football’.  We can be successful on both fronts.  Rangers only dropped 7 points from the opening 18 league games last season, and reached the League Cup final, despite being in Europe.  Europe didn’t negatively effect us at all.  Europe earned Rangers over £10m which is far more than you get for winning things domestically.  This club needs that money.  

Wanting us to be knocked out of Europe is truly fucking bizarre.

I understand your point but currently our club doesn't have the resources to run a successful league campaign let alone a league and European campaign for a sustained period.

Last Thursday and the game against Hibs showed that.

We are several players and several hundreds of millions of quid short.

58 minutes ago, The Librarian said:

I understand your point but currently our club doesn't have the resources to run a successful league campaign let alone a league and European campaign for a sustained period.

Yes, we do.  Look at the last two seasons.  We got the group stages in Europe while matching celtic domestically up until the winter break. 

Yesterday's result had nothing to do with European football. 

11 hours ago, Vision said:

The Leagues our bread and butter but Gerrard prioritizes Europe.

Europe provides significantly more prize money than Scottish domestic football.  The 10m+ Rangers earned from the Europa last season was a lot more than the club would've earned for winning a domestic treble.  We NEED Europe and the money that comes with it.

I don't agree that Gerrard prioritises one over another.  He tries to compete on all fronts as he should.

15 minutes ago, TMB said:

Yes, we do.  Look at the last two seasons.

Stop saying we’ve also been successful domestically. Success is winning the league. We had a European run and won fuck all again. Doing my box in trying to say we’ve had ‘success’ in both 

3 minutes ago, CR3 said:

Stop saying we’ve also been successful domestically. Success is winning the league. We had a European run and won fuck all again. Doing my box in trying to say we’ve had ‘success’ in both 

Before Gerrard came we were a circus act.  We had lost 12 consecutive games to celtic.  We hadn’t reached a cup final since the Scottish Cup final in the lower divisions.  We finished 3rd in the league for 2 years.  The entire squad was filled with absolute dross.

We’re now beating celtic regularly.  We have reached a cup final (and lost it due to a refereeing error).  We’re playing a modern brand of counter pressing football which has allowed us to punch well above our weight in Europe.  Last season we beat the champions of Portugal, Switzerland, Poland, Denmark, etc.  The squad has greatly improved and we now have the best defense in the league.  We dropped 7 points from our opening 18 league games last season which certainly is title winning form we just need to keep it going all season long.

I know people want to bash Gerrard and write him off but the fact is we’ve greatly improved as a footballing team since his arrival.  There wasn’t a lot of people willing to take the job on when we appointed Gerrard and there’s a reason for that - We were a car crash of a club.  We now have stability and we’re not suffering humiliating 4-0 and 5-0 defeats to celtic.  We’re getting there but it’s going to take time.  People want to rip it all up and start again which sounds mental to me.  

3 minutes ago, TMB said:

Before Gerrard came we were a circus act.  We had lost 12 consecutive games to celtic.  We hadn’t reached a cup final since the Scottish Cup final in the lower divisions.  We finished 3rd in the league for 2 years.  The entire squad was filled with absolute dross.

We’re now beating celtic regularly.  We have reached a cup final (and lost it due to a refereeing error).  We’re playing a modern brand of counter pressing football which has allowed us to punch well above our weight in Europe.  Last season we beat the champions of Portugal, Switzerland, Poland, Denmark, etc.  The squad has greatly improved and we now have the best defense in the league.  We dropped 7 points from our opening 18 league games last season which certainly is title winning form we just need to keep it going all season long.

I know people want to bash Gerrard and write him off but the fact is we’ve greatly improved as a footballing team since his arrival.  There wasn’t a lot of people willing to take the job on when we appointed Gerrard and there’s a reason for that - We were a car crash of a club.  We now have stability and we’re not suffering humiliating 4-0 and 5-0 defeats to celtic.  We’re getting there but it’s going to take time.  People want to rip it all up and start again which sounds mental to me.  

I’m not reading that. Just don’t use the word successful coming second, that’s all. The argument isn’t about improvement that you’ve just changed it into, it’s about you using the word successful to describe our last two seasons in the league.

13 minutes ago, TMB said:

You'll be saying this next year, and the year after that. 

7 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

You'll be saying this next year, and the year after that. 

No, I won’t.  This will be Gerrard’s last season if we don’t have league success.  Then you’ll get your wish and the exodus of management, back room staff, and players can begin.  We’ll tear it all apart and start again trying to stop them doing 11 in a row.

Or we stick by Gerrard this season and see if he can deliver.  I see no reason to give up on the idea Gerrard can bring us success.  We’ve gotten progressively better ever since he took over.

18 minutes ago, TMB said:

This.

7 minutes ago, TMB said:

We’ve gotten progressively better ever since he took over.

Winning 3 games against that mob whilst struggling against the likes of Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs, Kilmarnock and Livingston isn't anything to shout about. 

You mentioned earlier we're beating the tarriers regularly, how the fuck is 3 games out of 7 regular? 

Another lie. 

4 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Winning 3 games against that mob whilst struggling against the likes of Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs, Kilmarnock and Livingston isn't anything to shout about. 

You mentioned earlier we're beating the tarriers regularly, how the fuck is 3 games out of 7 regular? 

Another lie. 

Going from humiliating 4-0 and 5-0 defeats to beating celtic as often as they beat us is something to shout about.  There has been 6 Old Firm league games since Gerrard came in and we've won half of them.  There has been and Old Firm final and we dominated it celtic only winning due to an offside goal.  Make no mistake, before Gerrard came we were being humiliated.

Beating celtic regularly (which we now are) is a huge step towards winning the league.  We need to find the sort of consistency we had last season when we only dropped 7 points from our opening 18 league games and keep it going.  

1 minute ago, TMB said:

There has been 6 Old Firm league games since Gerrard came in and we've won half of them.  There has been and Old Firm final and we dominated it celtic only winning due to an offside goal.

So there's been 7 games and we've won 3 then? 

3 out of 7 is not a regular occurrence, you're talking absolute shite man. 

8 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

So there's been 7 games and we've won 3 then? 

3 out of 7 is not a regular occurrence, you're talking absolute shite man. 

6 league games and we've won half of them.  Given we had lost 12 games to celtic in a row prior to Gerrard's arrival that's a great record.

As I said, we dominated celtic in the League Cup final.  They only won because of an offside goal (their only shot on target during the entire game).

We're not suffering humiliating defeats anymore.  We can match them.

52 minutes ago, TMB said:

We never lost 12 consecutive games.

Archived