Souness branded a ‘d***’ in astonishing outburst from ex-player Hugh Burns

ayrshireranger

13 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

You would find it very hard not to like Shug .He really is a brilliant and down to earth guy .And to be honest .He loves Rangers exclusively .Whereas Souness loves Liverpool and ourselves  

Souness's contribution to Rangers is a thousand times greater than anything Burns ever did.

What is Burns famous for at Ibrox- erm??

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was common knowledge he was a bit of a dick to some players? 

I don't particular like him due to the things he's said about us (mostly in 2012 when we needed voices) but to do what was a difficult job at us, in an era like that (late 80's) I think you had to be a tough, ruthless bastard who will crack a few eggs.

2 hours ago, British_Empire said:

I thought it was common knowledge he was a bit of a dick to some players? 

I don't particular like him due to the things he's said about us (mostly in 2012 when we needed voices) but to do what was a difficult job at us, in an era like that (late 80's) I think you had to be a tough, ruthless bastard who will crack a few eggs.

I'm sure he's on record as saying too that he was an angry young man at the time and is embarrassed at some of his actions at that part of his career.

6 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I'm sure he's on record as saying too that he was an angry young man at the time and is embarrassed at some of his actions at that part of his career.

aye, passionate, serious players and managers from that era who were winners or wanted the best were generally dicks anyway. No issue with it.

I don't know Hugh Burns personally and to be honest i have no real memory of him as a player either good or bad but this smacks of a drunk guy in a pub bad mouthing someone he blames for doing him a bad turn when deep down he knows what happened was his fault.

FFS Souness smacked Ian Durrant in the chops for having the temerity to put the ball through Souness's legs at training. DO you hear Ian Durrant running off at the mouth about Souness cracking him on the jaw? He's full of praise for the Man and laughs it off for what it was.

When you take over at a Club the size of Rangers and it's your first job in Management you want set down markers and to do things your way,,,,,,,,,feathers are going to get ruffled,,,,,,,,big time.

Could Souness have done things a little different and would he , on hindsight , admit it?

I'd bet he'd be the first to say of course he would. That's called gaining experience.

Does Souness have enemies in the game? Clearly we've just heard from one and there's probably more but they're not running off at the mouth trying to remain relevant.

Airing your dirty laundry in public does no one any good least of all Hugh Burns and if he thinks doing this is right and is justified then Hugh Burns deserves any criticism that comes his way over this embarrassing charade.

3 hours ago, East Enclosure Row N said:

Souness's contribution to Rangers is a thousand times greater than anything Burns ever did.

What is Burns famous for at Ibrox- erm??

Not disputing that

Like I said in my OP

Both are good supporters and I thing decent guys .. 

As many have said, don't think it's that big a deal - just opinions. For what it's worth, I'm a big fan of both. Souness for what he did, and Burns for how he always sticks up for Rangers and talks us up. Listen to Bill Young's show Monday night and he couldn't have stuck it to celtic any more if he'd tried. Great listening. He was right, too.

14 hours ago, dee9 said:

He might not be a legend like souness however Hugh burns is a proper bluenose. 

Granted I don't agree he should be mouthing off about souness in public but in the same breath don't think some on here should be battering burns. 

Handbags ffs..... Let's enjoy the victory. 

100%
way too many sweetie wives on here 

And tits that can’t help themselves 😂

23 hours ago, ayrshireranger said:

GRAEME SOUNESS has been branded a 'd***' by former Rangers defender Hugh Burns over his choice of footwear on Sky Sports.

'The former Light Blues stopper was quickly shipped out on loan to Hamilton Accies before joining Hearts on a permanent deal a year later following Souness' arrival at Ibrox in 1986.

Burns, who made over 50 appearances for the Ibrox side, is more recently known for his viral commentary of 'What's the goalie doin Tom?' while working on Rangers TV.

His passionate outburst followed Moussa Dembele's lobbed effort over Wes Foderingham to bring celtic level in the 3-2 Ibrox classic in 2018.

And his latest comments about Souness are likely to prove unpopular.

The pundit was discussing plimsoll shoes on the Talking Football Show when he interrupted host Bill Young and fellow guest Gordon Young to take aim at his former Ibrox gaffer.

Burns said: "I have got to say something.

"I was watching Sky last night and Souness had a pair (of 'sandshoes') on.

"He's not my favourite person anyway but he looked like a right topper."

Young replied: "What have you got against him?"

Burns continued: "Because he's a d***.'

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/6179222/Rangers-souness-astonishing-outburst-burns/

Was never the brightest and clearly not changed. Been carrying that chip on his shoulder like a tarrier!

Laughed at that, two footed from the flute player. You should never of gone on the weights

you were never the same player after you bulked up.

Couldn't lace Souness boots but one thing is for sure you'd never have walked out on Rangers

like he did.  Spot on Shuggie ha ha.  Staunch 

I'd rather have a dick who is a winner than a loser who is a nice guy. There's no doubt Souness had standards and took no prisoners but look what he did for us. Burns is clearly a good Bear but he didn't meet those standards and was moved on. I think if they were to compare their careers and trophy cabinets Souness would not be in the slightest bit bothered. 

Archived