Does our greatest ever 11 change now?

graeme_4

1 minute ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

What were Gazza's best displays in Europe just out of interest.... 

In 95/96 Gazza was absolute world class culminating in being one of, if not the best, players in Euro 96.

Make no mistake Barry Ferguson was a brilliant player but there’s levels to the game and Gazza was a different level to him.

The midfield in the greatest Rangers team shouldn’t even be up for debate.

4 genuinely World Class players.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

In 95/96 Gazza was absolute world class culminating in being one of, if not the best, players in Euro 96.

Make no mistake Barry Ferguson was a brilliant player but there’s levels to the game and Gazza was a different level to him.

The midfield in the greatest Rangers team shouldn’t even be up for debate.

4 genuinely World Class players.

When it comes to a greatest Rangers team, who gives a shit TBH, for Rangers.... it's not even close

4 hours ago, DeanMK said:

An interesting thought. Which players may have made it into the greatest 11 had they been here longer?

Probably the likes of Gattuso and Van Bronckhorst if we’re basing it purely on ability and the careers they went on to have, though it’s highly doubtful either of them would have reached their peak playing in a poorer standard of league like ours.

On 27/03/2021 at 08:33, left winger said:

Tav would need to get past Gary Stevens before worrying about Jardine.

I think Tavernier is definitely worthy to be mentioned alongside Stevens due to the fact he’s a captain/leader as well as his overall contribution to the team in terms of goals and assists. While I admittedly never saw Gary Stevens play, and I do understand that he was an English international and that he won several trophies with us, I’m not sure he was as crucial to that Rangers team then as Tavernier is to the Rangers team now. I could be wrong, but I just can’t see it.

Sandy Jardine will forever be the guaranteed pick for that position, and rightly so, but I reckon Tavernier would be a decent shout for second choice. In any case, it’ll be interesting to see how we look back at this current side in 20 or 30 years time.

1 hour ago, Bronzy said:

I think Tavernier is definitely worthy to be mentioned alongside Stevens due to the fact he’s a captain/leader as well as his overall contribution to the team in terms of goals and assists. While I admittedly never saw Gary Stevens play, and I do understand that he was an English international and that he won several trophies with us, I’m not sure he was as crucial to that Rangers team then as Tavernier is to the Rangers team now. I could be wrong, but I just can’t see it.

Sandy Jardine will forever be the guaranteed pick for that position, and rightly so, but I reckon Tavernier would be a decent shout for second choice. In any case, it’ll be interesting to see how we look back at this current side in 20 or 30 years time.

If we’re talking about the Tavernier of August to December then he would be in with a shout of the team. Realistically, though, that level would need to be replicated over a much longer period. If we were to base the team on such a short period of time we’d possibly have Negri up front.

7 hours ago, DeanMK said:

An interesting thought. Which players may have made it into the greatest 11 had they been here longer?

If Cuellar had stayed and we never signed Bougherra for instance and Cuellar ends up with his 07/08 season followed up with 3 titles and a few cups he would walk in before Butcher. I would say you could make a decent case for Weir before Butcher but as an individual season Cuellar in 07/08 stands up to anything I have seen a Rangers player produce. 

4 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

If Cuellar had stayed and we never signed Bougherra for instance and Cuellar ends up with his 07/08 season followed up with 3 titles and a few cups he would walk in before Butcher. I would say you could make a decent case for Weir before Butcher but as an individual season Cuellar in 07/08 stands up to anything I have seen a Rangers player produce. 

Hutton would've probably been an honorable mention had he remained with us. Unlikely enough to dislodge Jardine though.

Kris Boyd is another who could've achieved a lot more with us. I reckon had he stayed for another 3 or 4 seasons, he could've been in with a shout at being in behind McCoist for top goalscorer.

24 minutes ago, DeanMK said:

Hutton would've probably been an honorable mention had he remained with us. Unlikely enough to dislodge Jardine though.

Kris Boyd is another who could've achieved a lot more with us. I reckon had he stayed for another 3 or 4 seasons, he could've been in with a shout at being in behind McCoist for top goalscorer.

I liked Boyd and all that but I don't think you can be near a greatest side if your manager doesn't play you in your sides biggest games, great as Boyd was against the domestic pish he just doesn't have the big game CV needed to be in a greatest side for me. 

McCoist loved a big moment as well as scoring a shit load of goals. 

If Morelos stays another season wins another league, a cup and a few goals in the CL and a few more against celtic, could start to put together a case for him before Hateley I reckon. 

16 hours ago, DeanMK said:

I did the numbers on that. If Boyd kept up his goal scoring average for another 4 seasons in all comps he would have been around Rangers 5th or 6th all time top goal scorer.

1 hour ago, Copeland1983 said:

This thread is starting to look like a party at 5am when someone has ordered too much gear, folk are shouting at each other in the kitchen and no-one can get a hold of a taxi.

You the cunt that’s trying on people’s jackets?

7 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I did the numbers on that. If Boyd kept up his goal scoring average for another 4 seasons in all comps he would have been around Rangers 5th or 6th all time top goal scorer.

Even if Boyd’s entire career tally in Scotland (ie Kilmarnock) was included he’d still be about 80 goals behind McCoist :lol:

Can’t see Ally’s record ever being broken, at least in our lifetime. The combination of genuine world-class talent and extreme loyalty it would require to even get close seems almost impossible in modern football.

48 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

Even if Boyd’s entire career tally in Scotland (ie Kilmarnock) was included he’d still be about 80 goals behind McCoist :lol:

Can’t see Ally’s record ever being broken, at least in our lifetime. The combination of genuine world-class talent and extreme loyalty it would require to even get close seems almost impossible in modern football.

Boyd's record is pretty good tbf. Only 5 players since the war have scored more than 200 goals in the Scottish top flight and he is one of them.

37 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Boyd's record is pretty good tbf. Only 5 players since the war have scored more than 200 goals in the Scottish top flight and he is one of them.

Totally agree tbf, my post was intended to be more of a compliment to McCoist :lol:

5 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

Totally agree tbf, my post was intended to be more of a compliment to McCoist :lol:

McCoist's record is insane, 5th all time top scorer in the Scottish top flight as well. I don't think it will ever be beaten, although if it wasn't for war time football I think Jimmy Smith would have gone on to be Rangers all time top scorer. 

3 hours ago, Copeland1983 said:

This thread is starting to look like a party at 5am when someone has ordered too much gear, folk are shouting at each other in the kitchen and no-one can get a hold of a taxi.

:lol:

Archived