Does our greatest ever 11 change now?

graeme_4

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Players from bygone times would get wasted by the current team due advances in fitness.

The modern game is much faster and slicker. That being said played from days gone by frequently played on totally shite pitches and had none of the micro management of diet and fitness that is available today.

So if past greats could play in the present day they may be better than present players, but they excelled in their day playing different tactics in different systems. 

3 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Exactly, in their day they could get away with it because they were not playing against guys as fit as the ones in our team today. Our current team would hump them.

It not just our old players. You put our current team against the Brazil team from the 70s and we would absolutely rag doll them.

Sport moves on.

Our current team would be in tears if they had to play with a Tomlinson T on a muddy Love Street.

11 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

Of course there is. Baxter played at a time when football was played at a quite woeful standard 

😂 Baxter is regarded as probably the greatest footballer Scotland has ever produced ffs 

Do you honestly think players like Law, Baxter, Best ect would struggle with modern football? 

1 minute ago, Nelson loyal said:

This place is fucking mental at times, Ferguson for Baxter, Peles a fraud, Mcgregor is a better Keeper than the Goalie..... And Some cunt talking about delorians, time travel and the 1970s Brazil team 

I’m sure I read Jose-Karl Pierre-Fanfans name somewhere in the thread as well 

17 minutes ago, Nelson loyal said:

This place is fucking mental at times, Ferguson for Baxter, Peles a fraud, Mcgregor is a better Keeper than the Goalie..... And Some cunt talking about delorians, time travel and the 1970s Brazil team 

I’ll have you know, Pele is indeed a fraud 

15 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

It's really not.

Your talking about a time when guys were playing football whilst smoking about 20 a day.

Put our current team against them and they would be all over them like a rash and pressing them out of the game.

Like it or not, but sport has moved on dramatically since most of those players in the OP were playing.

For their era they were amazing, and I'm not slating them, but if you were to lift them from their peak at their era and put them against our current team they would be thrashed.

You are genuinely off your head.

And that's before I got to the Pele would have no chance up against Balogun post.

7 hours ago, TamCoopz said:

This is turning into an old cunts vs young cunts thread 

Aye cause the young cunts know fuck all compared to us old cunts, who know everything! 😎😇

love you all xx 

1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Absolutely no convincing you.

You probably think Bruce Lee would have beat Mike Tyson in a fight as well.

I think we're around the same age, this isn't even a young vs old thing.

The only point you have is that you can't really get by these days at the top level without being an athlete to some degree. It's not night and day between say the 90s and today though. 

The idea that Gazza at his peak to take one example would toil against our midfield is just absurd.

I just watched a skills highlights video of him on Youtube to remind myself at what sort of pace he was carrying the ball with etc. and it's no slower than today.

He'd absolutely wipe the floor with our midfield.

8 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

I think we're around the same age, this isn't even a young vs old thing.

The only point you have is that you can't really get by these days at the top level without being an athlete to some degree. It's not night and day between say the 90s and today though. 

The idea that Gazza at his peak to take one example would toil against our midfield is just absurd.

I just watched a skills highlights video of him on Youtube to remind myself at what sort of pace he was carrying the ball with etc. and it's no slower than today.

He'd absolutely wipe the floor with our midfield.

If you don't think there is a difference in pace between today's game and football in the 90s then you are never going to understand it.

There are some players like Laudrup who I'm sure would have been able to hack it at the top level with modern training. Gazza would also probably fall into that camp if he could commit to the training, although I have my doubts he would.

If you lifted them straight out of their time and put them in a modern match, they would massively struggle.

Given the team in the OP goes back even further, these players would struggle even more.

Just to be clear on what you are saying, how do you think the 1970 world cup team would do if you put them up against say Man City from today?

Do you think they would have a chance, be narrowly beaten or comprehensively beaten?

2 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

If you don't think there is a difference in pace between today's game and football in the 90s then you are never going to understand it.

There are some players like Laudrup who I'm sure would have been able to hack it at the top level with modern training. Gazza would also probably fall into that camp if he could commit to the training, although I have my doubts he would.

If you lifted them straight out of their time and put them in a modern match, they would massively struggle.

Given the team in the OP goes back even further, these players would struggle even more.

Just to be clear on what you are saying, how do you think the 1970 world cup team would do if you put them up against say Man City from today?

Do you think they would have a chance, be narrowly beaten or comprehensively beaten?

If you're going to start asking silly false equivalence questions to try and prove your point, I'll answer yours with a similar question - are you saying our greatest 11 would have no chance against today's Aberdeen side, or Hibs, or whoever?

1970 is too far back for me to know that team inside out but you could drop a peak Pele into the modern game, or a peak Zidane from 20 years ago, or a peak Ronaldo from the same time period etc. and they would still be the Gods they are.

Just now, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

If you're going to start asking silly false equivalence questions to try and prove your point, I'll answer yours with a similar question - are you saying our greatest 11 would have no chance against today's Aberdeen side, or Hibs, or whoever?

1970 is too far back for me to know that team inside out but you could drop a peak Pele into the modern game, or a peak Zidane from 20 years ago, or a peak Ronaldo from the same time period etc. and they would still be the Gods they are.

Honestly, current day Aberdeen would probably win. If you are including players from the 70s in the "best ever" team, then Aberdeen would run over the top of them. That's what modern science has achieved.

Drop Pele into the modern game and you would never even hear of him.

That is unless of course you bring him into modern time as a kid and allow him to develop with modern training and sports science.

The closer you get to modern players, the closer the gap becomes. Zidane would still be amazing for instance, but he would not be as dominant as he was in his time.

8 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Honestly, current day Aberdeen would probably win. If you are including players from the 70s in the "best ever" team, then Aberdeen would run over the top of them. That's what modern science has achieved.

That is unless of course you bring him into modern time as a kid and allow him to develop with modern training and sports science.

The closer you get to modern players, the closer the gap becomes. Zidane would still be amazing for instance, but he would not be as dominant as he was in his time.

Take the day off , this is no goin to go well for you again.........

1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Going to have to agree to disagree. Genuinely struggling to believe that you think this. A team with Gazza, Laudrup, Cooper etc. would struggle against Shay Logan, Jonny Hayes, Lewis Ferguson etc.

Fuck me. 

Where you are right is that the average is higher. On average players are fitter, faster, stronger. 

Where you are wide off the mark is that our greatest 11 is littered with genuinely world class players. The world class players from then are still light years ahead of just simply 'average' or 'good' players of today's game. 

7 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

DROP PELE INTO THE MODERN GAME AND YOU WOULD NEVER EVEN HEAR OF HIM

I know you troll for a reaction but in all honesty that’s probably the stupidest thing I’ve seen posted on hear. 

Archived