The first step to a U.K. league

AlCapone

I’ve always said that we can’t just move to a U.K. league, UEFA and the SFA would not allow it. UEFA rules stipulate that to move to another country you must have the blessing of both your home FA,  the other countries FA and UEFA. To fight this would be years in court and financial ruin, who ever took it on would be flattened. THe only way Rangers will get to play in a U.K. league will be if someone bigger and more powerful than us takes on those controlling the game and smashes the cartel.

previously I never wanted this to happen as it would take us away from the top table for good, well you know what we are already away from the top table with no hope of ever winning the CL. The CL for me is a boring corporate mess, so boring that I’ve not watched a full game in it including the final for 10:years.. its an irrelevant borefest

whilst I hate the thought of a European league with a closed shop American  style franchise let them go ahead and do it, the battle has already been lost with the CL.

If UEFA lose their control over this then the most important thing for us is that it will change the landscape below it, they and the authorities will then have no legal control and the clubs choosing what league they want to play in an Rangers will be free to play in a U.K. league.

whilst I think there is a lot of negotiation to be done and they probably will meet in the middle ground I for one want them to succeed. It’s the only way that we will ever get to leave Scottish football if those with more clout rip up the system.

there was an article in the times years ago about predicting this, in short it said the glazers and all the other billionaires putting money into the likes of Man U aren’t doing it to keep playing Bolton and Wigan (that’s how old it was!), it was all about the big boys getting together.

let it happen, the battle has already been lost about the game been ruined for money. Think about Rangers, this is our only realistic hope of getting out Scottish Football and everything that holds us back. We very well might just be on our way

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Don’t really want to move in all honesty. Not sure the OF holds that much weight anymore if we’re battling it out to be 7th and 8th in the EPL. Like our wee bitter, winner takes all cesspit of a league. 

We won’t be battling out to be 7th or 8th if the top 6 are gone . The OF game will be very relevant in a U.K. league with the top 6 gone, more relevant and lucrative to tv than its ever been. There will be no choice about remaining, like those above us we will need to  maximise  our revenue. You can be sure our rival will leave 

No because this Super League is a replacement for the Champions League in the teams eyes.

They don’t want to leave their domestic leagues just want a midweek Euro league which we basically have with the Champions League.

Its not like there’s now 6 places up for grabs in the EPL as the 6 teams still want to play in it.

16 minutes ago, AlCapone said:

We won’t be battling out to be 7th or 8th if the top 6 are gone . The OF game will be very relevant in a U.K. league with the top 6 gone, more relevant and lucrative to tv than its ever been. There will be no choice about remaining, like those above us we will need to  maximise  our revenue. You can be sure our rival will leave 

They won't be gone though.

16 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Don’t really want to move in all honesty. Not sure the OF holds that much weight anymore if we’re battling it out to be 7th and 8th in the EPL. Like our wee bitter, winner takes all cesspit of a league. 

To be honest, if the Super League 6 left, we would instantly be the biggest clubs in the league in terms of support. Celtic would have the biggest stadium in the league, we would have the fourth biggest. It's entirely possible that players would be attracted by the prestige of the clubs, which hasn't counted for much in decades but would again due to the league we were in. It would probably only be five or so years before either we had caught up with the other PL clubs in terms of funds and quality of players, or they had come down to our level (assuming money drained away from the PL). It took much less time than that for Leicester, after all (although obviously that was an exceptional case).

8 minutes ago, JamieD said:

To be honest, if the Super League 6 left, we would instantly be the biggest clubs in the league in terms of support. Celtic would have the biggest stadium in the league, we would have the fourth biggest. It's entirely possible that players would be attracted by the prestige of the clubs, which hasn't counted for much in decades but would again due to the league we were in. It would probably only be five or so years before either we had caught up with the other PL clubs in terms of funds and quality of players, or they had come down to our level (assuming money drained away from the PL). It took much less time than that for Leicester, after all (although obviously that was an exceptional case).

As usual Jamie your fingers on the pulse and I’m in agreement with you 

Its a lot of speculation just now, but don't write off domestic leagues knocking them back from membership. There has been a lot of noise and it they grow some balls that might be the case.

If they are expelled from domestic leagues then we won't have a better chance than now to get into the prem/British league. All of a sudden we will become an attractive proposition.

14 minutes ago, JamieD said:

Without the big 6, it's no longer a "Premier" league, so what's the point of playing in what would be another second rate league? Just to be the Billy Big baws of second raters? Na. 

The aspiration has got to be playing in competition with the elite. 

IF there is a prospect of a wild card to the winners of the E/UKPL to join the top clubs then OK. 

All said and done, there is no mention of the big six leaving the EPL, so just more speculation that will never happen. 

1 minute ago, Blue Avenger said:

Without the big 6, it's no longer a "Premier" league, so what's the point of playing in what would be another second rate league? Just to be the Billy Big baws of second raters? Na. 

The aspiration has got to be playing in competition with the elite. 

IF there is a prospect of a wild card to the winners of the E/UKPL to join the top clubs then OK. 

All said and done, there is no mention of the big six leaving the EPL, so just more speculation that will never happen. 

There is some noise about domestic leagues kicking them out but. Some smoke, just maybe no fire. I can't imagine they will be accepting of it.

However you are bang on with the rest and tbh the sponsors of the premiership will be renegotiating their deals if the top assets are no longer there as will sky etc.

if those "big 6" english teams are kicked out the EPL then i wouldn't mind if a UK league was set up. scottish, english, welsh, and northern ireland teams. not us moving into the EPL.

Perhaps would consist of:

Rangers

celtic

Leceister

Everton

Southampton

Newcastle

Sheffield

Linfield

Coleraine and/or Glentoran

The New Saints

Just now, BillyG91 said:

if those "big 6" english teams are kicked out the EPL then i wouldn't mind if a UK league was set up. scottish, english, welsh, and northern ireland teams. not us moving into the EPL.

Rangers

celtic

Leceister

Everton

Southampton

Newcastle

Sheffield

Linfield

The New Saints

That looks terrible mate.

1 minute ago, BillyG91 said:

Rangers

celtic

Leceister

Everton

Southampton

Newcastle

Sheffield

Linfield

The New Saints

Coleraine and the New Saints 😂 

2 minutes ago, Copeland1983 said:

Can't help but feel this ESL stuff is just an aggressive power play to get the Champions League to bow to the demands of the 'big' clubs. I can't see it actually happening (and really hope it doesn't). 

I would have agreed with you until about 10am this morning when Manchester United withdrew from the ECA. That's more than noise. That's leaving the hoose wae one of the weans and a bag of clothes.

The ESL could happen but then against it could be about these clubs trying to squeeze more money out of UEFA to stay .

Until it’s decided then of course it’s worthwhile to debate what could happen .

One thing for sure if it happened there would be a gaping hole in the EPL not just the 6 clubs who have been told they can’t play in the league if they leave .But financially too.TV sponsorship would crash and many teams have a business model set up to be either in or connected to the EPL .

Something would be needed to make the product more marketable .And of course adding us and the taigs would help boost the overall product .

And I don’t think it would be just UK leagues wanting to merge ,Portugal and Spain would want to make things better .There is already a project to merge the Dutch and Belgian leagues so precedent has already been set .

It would mean us winning titles harder .But it would not be impossible.The big investors will be attracted to the ESL and the investors already in the EPL at the likes of Leicester won’t be interested in throwing as much money as they do at the moment creating a more level playing field .

Just now, Malkytfp1 said:

I would have agreed with you until about 10am this morning when Manchester United withdrew from the ECA. That's more than noise. That's leaving the hoose wae one of the weans and a bag of clothes.

Chelsea too .

15 minutes ago, Monkey Butler said:

That looks terrible mate.

You missed out Leeds and West Ham 

also the Welsh and Irish teams would need to find their place in the pyramid .Same as the other Scottish sides like Hearts and the Sheep .

Archived