Alex McLeish - 20 Years On

BlueSuedeSambas

2 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Given what eck had done for us, he surely deserved a bit more leeway than 3 months of a season to turn things around

I think any Rangers manager who goes two months without winning a game is going to be in trouble, regardless of what they might have done for the club.

4 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I think any Rangers manager who goes two months without winning a game is going to be in trouble, regardless of what they might have done for the club.

You have to look at the level of player we were signing for both 05/06 and the 03/04 disaster seasons. 

05/06 we allowed good players like Ball to leave and replaced him with Bernard, who was the size of a fucking house despite being 25. Generally looked more out of shape than most the punters. These weren’t McLeish signings, it was us signing the crap McKay couldn’t punt elsewhere as a thank-you for the Boumsong deal. 

Hearts on the other hand, were signing players who had played in Champions League finals and established internationals such as Fysass, Jankauskas, Bednar, Skacel etc. 

Still doesn’t excuse us not winning for 2 months, but that Hearts starting 11 was better than ours. 

20 hours ago, DBBTB said:

Our options for the front three were insane - Caniggia, Arveladze, Mols, de Boer, Lovenkrands, McCann with Steven Thompson as a plan b from the bench too.

Checked Wiki for the stats that season. The likes of Arteta, Amo, Moore, Ricksen, McCann all chipped in about 20 goals between them.

I really wish I could relive that season. 

5 hours ago, plymouthranger said:

You have to look at the level of player we were signing for both 05/06 and the 03/04 disaster seasons. 

05/06 we allowed good players like Ball to leave and replaced him with Bernard, who was the size of a fucking house despite being 25. Generally looked more out of shape than most the punters. These weren’t McLeish signings, it was us signing the crap McKay couldn’t punt elsewhere as a thank-you for the Boumsong deal. 

Hearts on the other hand, were signing players who had played in Champions League finals and established internationals such as Fysass, Jankauskas, Bednar, Skacel etc. 

Still doesn’t excuse us not winning for 2 months, but that Hearts starting 11 was better than ours. 

2003 was such an awful transfer window. Lost Fergie, Amo, McCann, Canniga and replaced them with bosmans with no sell on value.

We actually started that season really well too, won the first 6 league games and qualified for the Champions League. Conceded a last minute equaliser at Panathinaikos and it went downhill from there.

Always think he never quite gets the credit he's due for being a treble winning manager ... unfortunately the timing wasn't quite right for him to build on that success with the wage bill being cut in half during his time at the club perhaps that's part of the reason he's never quite remembered as fondly as he should be?

On 11/12/2021 at 22:17, northern bear said:

Namouchi was one of the things I remembered as well. I thought he was awful. 

I don't think he got up to speed with the league but remember he crushed most European games and looked a completely different player.

McLeish done excellently with sod all budget, I have in my head he actually made a profit during his time from transfers.

2 hours ago, mclovin9091 said:

I don't think he got up to speed with the league but remember he crushed most European games and looked a completely different player.

McLeish done excellently with sod all budget, I have in my head he actually made a profit during his time from transfers.

McLeish was under appreciated due to obvious budget constraints but it was difficult going from the standard of player under advocaat to him.