Alex McLeish - 20 Years On

BlueSuedeSambas

I was only 13 when he took over. Can any of the older fans give some insight on how the appointment was received? On the one hand it must have felt like a massive step down from Advocaat in terms of name value, but at the same time he was one of the best young managers in the country at the time.

11 minutes ago, murzo said:

Came in at a time of downsizing but still did an outstanding job. He loved Hamed Namouchi tho which was baffling. I can’t remember how he left , was he told to go because PLG was coming in?

Nah it’s because we were third and fans were protesting out the ground. 

16 minutes ago, murzo said:

Came in at a time of downsizing but still did an outstanding job. He loved Hamed Namouchi tho which was baffling. I can’t remember how he left , was he told to go because PLG was coming in?

Namouchi was one of the things I remembered as well. I thought he was awful. 

1 hour ago, DBBTB said:

I was only 13 when he took over. Can any of the older fans give some insight on how the appointment was received? On the one hand it must have felt like a massive step down from Advocaat in terms of name value, but at the same time he was one of the best young managers in the country at the time.

I think we needed a change back then. He came in and treated the players like men. Giving them Xmas day off ect and it worked big time

1 hour ago, the goal machine said:

O’Neill’s celtic teams absolutely ragdolled us and he came in and immediately turned it around and by actually playing football too.

There were ups and downs but he presided over an era of downsizing and kept us competitive for the most part.

Above all, he was a fantastic representative of the club. Seemed like a good guy who took no shit - in the same mould as Smith that way.

He left at the right time but for the most part, he did a cracking job.

He did have us playing good football. I mind after the last minute cup final victory even Gerry Mcnee said that football was the winner. 

McLeish tends to start excellently as a new manager probably due to excellent man management skills but he then tends to fail once he gets his own signings in the door, part of the reason for that was the downsizing required at the time but the money he did spend was massively wasted.

Despite downsizing there was zero excuse for finishing third in the league as our budget still dwarfed Hearts.

It was however his Rangers sides that I have my earliest proper memories of (2002/03 ish) the Scottish Cup final that season was the first Old Firm match I attended😍) I vaguely recall Advocatt’s side but not that much, so I will always remember McLeish very fondly overall.

31 minutes ago, MurrayWilson said:

He did have us playing good football. I mind after the last minute cup final victory even Gerry Mcnee said that football was the winner. 

I started going in the treble season. Played great football, always went 4-3-3.

I think we had about 6-7 players that all scored more than 10 goals that season too.