Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

It’s the style of football, or lack of it which is more concerning to me. 

If we could see what he is working towards the. Maybe there would be more leeway, but there’s no hint of improvement whatsoever, total opposite in fact.

Our defending has regressed big time due to zona marking, our midfield has regressed big time with Lundstrum performing like he did when he first arrived, Colak can’t hold the ball up and is slow as fuck.

1 minute ago, The Godfather said:

We needed him and many including me thought his performances dipped because of his deal running out.

His form is utter pish just now

Absolutely, my point is it’s a bit hypocritical to blame Wilson or GVB for that 👍

McGregor, Davis we’re baffling to me.

Not giving Morelos 30 mins last night was baffling, just to give him some minutes.

McCann, King and Lowry when fit need to get more time.

Get Kent to fuck, I’d play Ridvan in his position.

Just now, Big Al 55 said:

McGregor, Davis we’re baffling to me.

Not giving Morelos 30 mins last night was baffling, just to give him some minutes.

McCann, King and Lowry when fit need to get more time.

Get Kent to fuck, I’d play Ridvan in his position.

Thought King was the only positive last night and we should be building the team around him.

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Then that's still on Gio.

He's signed half a dozen née players. He's re-signed 4 others who had gone out of contract including senior players.

If there's still no leaders and serial losers then he is culpable for not addressing it.

Does he control the transfer strategy?

None of us know how much say he has in incomings and outgoings. The fact we’ve barely been linked with a player in every country he’s previously managed tells me it’s mostly on Wilson. 

Man on the post and we don't concede the first goal. That's down to Gio.

Over the hill players given extended contracts. That's down to gio.

The baffling decision to bring on Ramsey arguably cost us a European title. Again Gio

I could go on and on but what's the point. The time has come for him to move on.

Gio wanted Kamara to stay meanwhile Wilson had organised to sell him to Nice and bring in a replacement from Belgium for half the price.

The key component for Goldson signing a new contract was his relationship with Wilson, not Gio.

Gio is a complete yes man and has zero control over transfer/contract policy.

I sort of knew this season was coming, just by looking at our recruitment. 

Kent and Morelos are probably leaving for free next summer. Loved the service McGregor, Davis and Arfield have given to us over the years but they're finished, they're now bit part players at best. 

McLaughlin isn't good enough. Decent back up. That's it. Never a Rangers number 1. How anyone thought any differently, I don't know. 

Barasic deserved to be told to find a new club the way Katic was this summer. Yet he remains.

We let Balugon go and now play a defensive midfielder at centre back with a LB we can't trust. It's a step back. 

We really needed a huge overhaul that never happened. This is the result. 

I still think Colak looks awkward up top on his own. He's too slow and doesnt hold the ball up well. Wrong signing. If Morelos had been sold I doubt he would have been our only target. This all lies on the manager and the recruitment.

Compare it to the beasts who got rid of Rogic and other players that were finished. We totally fucked it over the summer. And here's the consequences. 

We now let Kent and Morelos walk for nothing. Truly awful from the board. 

9 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

All the eejits that defend him every week on here were happy he renewed , some of us have seen for a long time hes the major problem in our team.

There's no smoke without fire. 

His frequent switching off and erratic displays have cost us more games than not. 

At the stage of his career his is at, he should be a rock at the heart of the defence. I get the impression he is someone who tries to be that, but at heart believes he is a ball playing centre half who doesn't need to do the dirty stuff.

Sands doesn't escape scrutiny either. 

We need two no-nonsense, clear the ball first defenders (who aren't constantly injured). Sadly, i don't see us getting them anytime soon.

I am in the camp of feeling it’s time up for Gio and his staff so I’m not saying this in a disparaging way to others but in a curious way: who would we get in?

First off, that isn’t the support’s responsibility.

However, I keep seeing Knutsen’s name put forward but are his team flying as they once were and why hasn’t anyone else picked him up? Is there any real evidence a manager that’s never worked under any pressure could step in to deal with the expectations here?

Dyche is just a step back and a complete non-starter.

Then I read about Rebrov and his CV really isn’t eye-catching when the 60% win rate was gained at the likes of Al-Ahly (UAE).

Its so grim knowing Wilson’s shortlist - if he has one - will be a lazy, poorly judged, cheap and short-term selection of managers without a club.

7 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Does he control the transfer strategy?

None of us know how much say he has in incomings and outgoings. The fact we’ve barely been linked with a player in every country he’s previously managed tells me it’s mostly on Wilson. 

So your take is he's a coach of players brought in, not a manager?

He doesn't have final say in signings?

Is that where we're now at with excusing his signings? Signings he said he was happy with was a lie too, rather than just explain his role is to coach?

7 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Gio wanted Kamara to stay meanwhile Wilson had organised to sell him to Nice and bring in a replacement from Belgium for half the price.

The key component for Goldson signing a new contract was his relationship with Wilson, not Gio.

Kamara stayed. So how does that work with zero control?

17 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Of course he's got a budget, every manager does but fights for more, especially after guaranteeing more money than the budget was originally for.

Wilson deserves huge criticism but Gio has wanted or sanctioned these players returning. If that's the best he can do with his budget then it's appalling. Multiple signings across the city from players k own to the manager or scouted have already looked huge successful for minimal outlay.

And btw the re-signing players won't be that cheap, they'll likely still be on good wages and have cost us in agents fees or signing on fees in the case of Goldson.

Haven't noticed you blaming Gio, just defending / excusing him tbh.

Davis, Arfield and mcgregor will be on vastly reduced wages, course they will. 

Blamed Gio’s defensive set up, set pieces and wanted him to take the handbrake off for months. Up until Saturday barring a terrible red card decision it would have been perfect start in league and CL qualification. Small margins but no point looking at ifs and buts, reality is we’ve been horsed 4-0 on the trot.

Think he deserves more time to get it right personally given EL final and CL qualification but looks like the players have checked out which means he will be out the door shortly. I blame the players more than the manager as it’s not a coincidence we’ve seen this movie too many times with this lot.

1 minute ago, Smell the hotdog said:

Blamed Gio’s defensive set up, set pieces and wanted him to take the handbrake off for months. Up until Saturday barring a terrible red card decision it would have been perfect start in league and CL qualification. Small margins but no point looking at ifs and buts, reality is we’ve been horsed 4-0 on the trot.

Think he deserves more time to get it right personally given EL final and CL qualification but looks like the players have checked out which means he will be out the door shortly. I blame the players more than the manager as it’s not a coincidence we’ve seen this movie too many times with this lot.

I'd hope so. But I'd assume there'll still be costs involved in getting the signings over the line. There always is.

And we don't know the overall package, or what could have been spent elsewhere. We never will.

But it seems now Gio doesn't have say on any aspect of the signings so it must have been Wilson deciding he couldn't bring in better for the same money...

5 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

I am in the camp of feeling it’s time up for Gio and his staff so I’m not saying this in a disparaging way to others but in a curious way: who would we get in?

First off, that isn’t the support’s responsibility.

However, I keep seeing Knutsen’s name put forward but are his team flying as they once were and why hasn’t anyone else picked him up? Is there any real evidence a manager that’s never worked under any pressure could step in to deal with the expectations here?

Dyche is just a step back and a complete non-starter.

Then I read about Rebrov and his CV really isn’t eye-catching when the 60% win rate was gained at the likes of Al-Ahly (UAE).

Its so grim knowing Wilson’s shortlist - if he has one - will be a lazy, poorly judged, cheap and short-term selection of managers without a club.

He had a 68% win rate at Dynamo Kyiv and a 62% win rate at Ferencvaros.

Four out of five seasons at both clubs he won the league.

3 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Kamara only stayed because Nice pulled out to go sign Dieng, which ended up failing. It was nothing to do with Gio wanting him to stay.

Why even give him an opinion on players staying if he has zero control over signings?

Why wouldn't Gio just say he's a coach, who is coming in/ going out isn't in his remit? It's not a scandalous thing to clarify if it's the case.

Why would he even know about budgets and money in the bank if he has no say in the players at his disposal? 

Nope, for me Gio has had a say, has worked his budget, has got final say on recruitment. Its excuse making to suggest otherwise.

6 minutes ago, Smell the hotdog said:

Agree with this, although I still think regardless of who made the decision to renew McGregor and Davis, it was wrong.

The rest I agree with; with the caveat that the signs were till there in the league performances, regardless of the results.

Just now, EMRFC said:

100%, people in the know have said Gio has no say on signings 

How can anyone argue that he does when you look at the 2 transfer windows he has been there for? Ramsey and Diallo look like Gio players? All the players signed this window look like Gio signings? 

18 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

So why’s Kamara still here? 

1 minute ago, EMRFC said:

100%, people in the know have said Gio has no say on signings 

Who is in the know? What have they said?

If he has no say then why wouldn't he clarify his coach not manager status?

How many coaches know / care about how much money is in the bank if all he has to concern himself about is players bought / sold outwith his control?

Not buying it at all that he has zero influence.