Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

For me, there are three reasons to act now.

Europe - never going to be first or second in group and unlikely to even get third and EL parachute. So the remaining fixtures are, realistically, free hits for a new manager.

Scottish Premiership - there are three OF games remaining or the potential of an 18 point swing. The scum have done well by bludgeoning other teams in a way we seem incapable of in the way we’re currently set up. That needs to change while the league is still a huge challenge and not an impossibility.

Money - we’ve probably never been better placed financially to pay off a management team and get a new approach in. It would the irony of ironies if the money not spent on player recruitment once CL football was secured ended up being used to buy out the manager who didn’t/couldn’t spend it.

The script is already written and there is virtually zero chance of GvB turning us around. I’m grateful to him for the Seville run, the semi-final at Hampden, overturning a 2-0 defeat against the Belgians and, of course, PSV but, in some ways, the performance today was even more telling than the recent defeats. Clinging on against a team who lost 9 goals to the scum is embarrassing.

There is absolutely no point in waiting until we’re out of the league race and Europe and then deciding to act when it’s too late. Some things can be salvaged if we act now.

We have a coach that doesn't have a say on who we sign,it's  left to fucking Ross Wilson we need good scouts not D.O.F. And a board that take out of our club,Millions from EL cup run, player sales Aribo, Bassey and Patterson also getting into ECL Where's the money went to? The players are stale we need rid of half of that pish and invest in players that will fight tooth and nail. Fans are suffering now from Top to Bottom of this Club!  it's fucking rotten.

59 minutes ago, Bakbear said:

Just can’t agree to any of this. It is wrong tactics that have our players playing back the way constantly.

Christ today there were numerous occasions where our players were In possession running forward and then just stopped for no reason and turned back and played a backward pass. That is 100% what they are being told to do. 

Declining players in their mid 30s I get. But Kent, Goldson, Tav, Jack, Lundstram are not going backwards because of age or time. They are diminishing because they are being coached and directed badly 

just like in the napoli game when we broke forward 3 against 2 but all we did was pass it from left to right in the midfield giving them plenty of time to get back in defence

1 hour ago, westenclosure2008 said:

I have serious doubts over Gio and it looks like our run in Europe last season has papered over a lot. However I do believe that sometimes the managers role is given too much importance. Ultimately it comes down to having good players. Yes we know that in the past that some of our players are capable of better but it’s not abnormal for players ability to diminish over time and that is what we are seeing. Our biggest issue has been our recruitment since we won 55. It’s been nothing short of horrific. Is Gio the man for me? I’m not sure but I’m also unsure if the best managers in the world could get a tune of such a stale squad. 

Don't really agree with you here - I'd say a manager's system is key to a team's performance.  

I've seen new managers come in (not just here) and the same set of players have sometimes improved and other times gone backwards . 

Alex McLeish coming in being an example .

5 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

If we can Gio we should go after Dejan Stankovic as a replacement.

I’d go for either him or Rebrov, I’d probably prefer Rebrov as he’s won leagues in different countries whereas Stankovic might struggle outside his comfort zone in Serbia, same with Knutsen.

35 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

I’d go for either him or Rebrov, I’d probably prefer Rebrov as he’s won leagues in different countries whereas Stankovic might struggle outside his comfort zone in Serbia, same with Knutsen.

On the plus side though Stankovic will probably launch Scott Wright into the North Sea 

He should be gone but imo there is no chance until next May at the earliest and here's why imo. 

This board backed Gerrard when he won nothing for 2 years. 

GVB has equalled Gerrards trophy Count in his first 6months in the job. 

GVB has recently got us to a European final and since now the champions league. 

No danger those in the boardroom are even thinking about sacking the manager imo. I genuinely feel that will only change if 2nd becomes a real battle. 

Long winter ahead troops!