Sky Tv deal

billythebear1986

26 minutes ago, the cry was no said:

Rangers point is that the deal hasn't been market tested or competitive in order to confirm that they can't do better. Any competent business would look to create competition. The SPFL are far from competent

Rangers point is about cinch. The board would've voted if the SPFL would sort out the cinch situation with them.

What would happen if the SPFL went out to tender instead of being exclusive to Sky? If the highly likely outcome would be no one offering what Sky are then going back cap in hand to Sky, do you even think Sky would be offering the same deal?

29 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Rangers point is about cinch. The board would've voted if the SPFL would sort out the cinch situation with them.

What would happen if the SPFL went out to tender instead of being exclusive to Sky? If the highly likely outcome would be no one offering what Sky are then going back cap in hand to Sky, do you even think Sky would be offering the same deal?

We already know BT offered less than Sky did last time. No chance they'll offer more now. 

Premier Sports. I doubt they offer more having got the cups for less. 

Then whats left.

BBC who we left Sky for many years ago and look how that worked out. 

Streaming services amazon netflix etc. They are more likely to want english football rights. 

I'm not Sky or doncaster biggest fans. But I doubt the product we currently offer gets more. We've made no attempts to improve our game or offer something different that would attract new broadcasters. 

14 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

We already know BT offered less than Sky did last time. No chance they'll offer more now. 

Premier Sports. I doubt they offer more having got the cups for less. 

Then whats left.

BBC who we left Sky for many years ago and look how that worked out. 

Streaming services amazon netflix etc. They are more likely to want english football rights. 

I'm not Sky or doncaster biggest fans. But I doubt the product we currently offer gets more. We've made no attempts to improve our game or offer something different that would attract new broadcasters. 

What with 2 teams in the CL and another in Europe? Stronger negotiating position than we have been in years. Doncaster should at least be sounding broadcasters out, not dropping his drawers at first offer.

It may well be the best offer but his fiduciary duty is to get the best deal for all shareholders,  not jus say to SKY "aye ok thanks"

3 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

What with 2 teams in the CL and another in Europe? Stronger negotiating position than we have been in years. Doncaster should at least be sounding broadcasters out, not dropping his drawers at first offer.

It may well be the best offer but his fiduciary duty is to get the best deal for all shareholders,  not jus say to SKY "aye ok thanks"

Like who? it's Sky, BT or Premier. BT have already shown they aren't willing to offer what Sky are and Premier alre already a partner of the SPFL so both would likely have a good idea of the other's position on the league rights.

Amazon or Apple aren't coming in for the SPFL rights and offering big money for four games a season.

3 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

It's a mix between showing live on TV (eurosport?) and online streaming.

So 240 games live per season compared to our 48 is it ?  
how many are actually live on TV. 
plus I’m assuming Sky just hold rest of our games so nobody else can get them 

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Like who? it's Sky, BT or Premier. BT have already shown they aren't willing to offer what Sky are and Premier alre already a partner of the SPFL so both would likely have a good idea of the other's position on the league rights.

Amazon or Apple aren't coming in for the SPFL rights and offering big money for four games a season.

When? When did they last try to compete or were asked to bid?

2 hours ago, esquire8 said:

Good breakdown and the first thing he calls out Cormack on was the league being called the SPFL Premiership which it technically is? Yeah......

You never bothered to read it, in other words. Technically, it’s called the Scottish Premiership (or cinch Premiership for sponsorship reasons), not the SPFL Premiership. Does it get tiring being so wrong?

16 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Nope not this time. Not sure why folk are desperate for the SPFL to offer the rights to someone who lowballed them last time - and why they think the SPFL will suddenly have become incredibly attractive to them. 

At a time where the parent company is trying to sell it too.

37 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Nope not this time. Not sure why folk are desperate for the SPFL to offer the rights to someone who lowballed them last time - and why they think the SPFL will suddenly have become incredibly attractive to them. 

Why are sky offering double what you say the next highest bidder would be?

I think there is a good chance that the Sky offer will be up there as the best we can get, I'm just confused why they are paying over and above what they know anyone else will?

Is it out of the goodness of their heart?

20 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I think there is a good chance that the Sky offer will be up there as the best we can get, I'm just confused why they are paying over and above what they know anyone else will?

I’m not saying they will. Im saying they did when it went to tender last time. BT tried to get the rights on the cheap and were laughed off 

22 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Probably because we are going exclusively with them, because they'll see 4 old firm matches and Rangers/Celtic away matches bring in enough viewers and advertising to match about 1/4 of what they pay the EFL. They ain't daft.

Rather than selling the SPFL as a package it may be better if individual clubs were allowed to make their own deals. I get every league game and domestic cups from my annual subscription to RTV. Open that up to the UK. After all demand for tickets exceeds supply.

A case can be made to sell some matches to Sky or BT or Amazon but the home club negotiates the best deal it can get. Obvious losers are the hammer throwers but what do we care for them.

30 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

Rather than selling the SPFL as a package it may be better if individual clubs were allowed to make their own deals. I get every league game and domestic cups from my annual subscription to RTV. Open that up to the UK. After all demand for tickets exceeds supply.

A case can be made to sell some matches to Sky or BT or Amazon but the home club negotiates the best deal it can get. Obvious losers are the hammer throwers but what do we care for them.

:lol: More chance of me walking on the moon later this afternoon than that happening.