Sky Tv deal

billythebear1986

22 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

Biggest problem for me is .Sky should be paying more .2 huge acts of self harm over the years mean Sky are paying less than they should .

Setanta and Voting us down the leagues hurt everyone .We are only now getting to what the Sky deal was before the Setanta days .Staying with Sky would have seen improvements on each new deal .Saying that we would probably still have had Doncaster pushing the product .Reckon he would struggle to get a decent price for bottled water in the Sahara .

Don't forget we left Sky for the BBC first before the shambles that was Setanta. Another short term thinking approach. 

We've also made no attempts to try and improve what we are selling.

A change in the league setup. A switch to summer football when we could fill a void when other leagues aren't playing barring international tournaments. As @The Dude said going streaming. 

Unfortunately as usual it's the status quo. Too scared to do something different. 

6 minutes ago, beararse said:

Asking for what would amount to the same amount of money for a TV deal where the product and its demand remains broadly the same year on year, seems an equitable position for both parties. To negotiate a deal that's materially worse is self harming. 

Since we first split with Sky ,prob about 15 years ago the deals for EPL and EFL drastically went up .Now I don’t think that we would be looking at  hundreds of millions per year .But we would definitely be far better off .

When Setanta went down the following year over 70 players left the SPL for England .Reducing the quality of the product we were trying to sell .A downward spiral of quality and a deal that just didn’t keep up with the times .

2 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

Don't forget we left Sky for the BBC first before the shambles that was Setanta. Another short term thinking approach. 

A change in the league setup. A switch to summer football when we could fill a void when other leagues aren't playing barring international tournaments. As @The Dude said going streaming. 

Unfortunately as usual it's the status quo. Too scared to do something different. 

Summer football would be a huge own goal IMHO ,Your automatically admitting your product is inferior for one .Russia and Norway were looking to realign their seasons with the rest of Europe for a reason .

Then how would you implement it ,You would probably need to go a few months without football at all losing out on cash flow that most clubs couldn’t afford .

Close season is really only 2 months these days .So you only really have 2 months where your the main show in town .

2 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

Who stands to lose the most if we took a chance which didn't pay off?

If the other clubs out-with the Old Firm are getting the square root of practically fuck all then why are they paralysed with fear?

And if some clubs did go to the wall then so be it. A leaner product is likely to be a far more attractive proposition

2 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

Summer football would be a huge own goal IMHO ,Your automatically admitting your product is inferior for one .Russia and Norway were looking to realign their seasons with the rest of Europe for a reason .

Then how would you implement it ,You would probably need to go a few months without football at all losing out on cash flow that most clubs couldn’t afford .

Close season is really only 2 months these days .So you only really have 2 months where your the main show in town .

It's probably very unlikely to ever happen summer football. 

Just some ideas I was throwing out. 

It's probably more than the SPFL have ever tried. They seem hell bent on things staying exactly as is. 

5 hours ago, The Dude said:

Literally nobody has said this. :lol:

You did say that because BT lowballed us the last time there was no point in going to them. Seems to me you are ok with this decision, happy perhaps too strong but you certainly don't seem to be objecting to it.

Just now, dummiesoot said:

You did say that because BT lowballed us the last time there was no point in going to them. Seems to me you are ok with this decision, happy perhaps too strong but you certainly don't seem to be objecting to it.

No, I said there was no point in expecting them to suddenly blow Sky out the water financially when they've never done it yet with Scottish football and the previous rights negotiations saw them offer a ridiculously low amount. I don't think there's been anything since then which suggest BT are suddenly desperate to pick up any Scottish football rights - both the league cup and Scottish cup have been up since iirc and BT opted not to even enter talks.

I can get why clubs want the perceived security of 'guaranteed' money over the longer term. Personally, I think it's the totally wrong option but can understand the motives behind clubs wanting something resembling financial security from TV. Nobody wants to rock the boat just now and find themselves in a position where sky decide they aren't interested and there's a scramble to sell the rights to someone else - and someone who, historically, doesn't pay as much as Sky.

I know that the SFA have recently given clubs special dispensation to move Scottish Cup fixtures to allow them to reduce energy costs through floodlights etc and also to allow them to livestream the game if it takes place outside of the blackout period, making them a few quid in the process.

13 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

xmas and new year games bring too many fans through the gates for clubs to vote to get rid of them and play when everybody is away on their holidays in the summer.

1 minute ago, BlueKnight87 said:

It's probably very unlikely to ever happen summer football. 

Just some ideas I was throwing out. 

It's probably more than the SPFL have ever tried. They seem hell bent on things staying exactly as is. 

i definitely think it's worth considering. Most football fans miss their weekly/twice weekly fix in the summer and will watch any shite.

A summer audience is more likely to watch whatever football is served up (women's football being a prime example) if there's a void in the EPL calendar. 

You would almost certainly retain some of the new footfall who would naturally develop an interest due to the limited time they will have invested in the SPFL.

Might not be a massive amount but its would still raise viewing figures and once the ball starts rolling you never know where it might end up. Worst possible scenario is that it rolls back to where it started. You've got to start somewhere (again, look at women's football). More viewing figures ultimately leads to more TV money

Another benefit of summer football would be a decent winter break (where coincidentally the EPL fixtures are crammed), AND Scottish clubs  might fair a bit better in the CL/EL/ECL qualification as they would be match fit.

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

xmas and new year games bring too many fans through the gates for clubs to vote to get rid of them and play when everybody is away on their holidays in the summer.

It’s not just holidays .Summer is a great time for family time .So many more other things could lose out .

Winter break is also mind numbing enough .3 weeks without games 

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

i don't really buy that as an argument not to have summer football. They will still get their gate money, it'll just be spread over different partsof the year. 

Id imagine a a Arbroath fan or a St Johnstone would rather take their family to go watch their team play in warmer, drier weather. Besides, there isn't a mass exodus  of football fans in the the 6 weeks  we'd be talking about.

1 minute ago, magic8ball said:

It’s not just holidays .Summer is a great time for family time .So many more other things could lose out .

Winter break is also mind numbing enough .3 weeks without games 

6 minutes ago, beararse said:

i don't really buy that as an argument not to have summer football. They will still get their gate money, it'll just be spread over different partsof the year. 

Id imagine a a Arbroath fan or a St Johnstone would rather take their family to go watch their team play in warmer, drier weather. Besides, there isn't a mass exodus  of football fans in the the 6 weeks  we'd be talking about.

As @magic8ballsaid, there's more than that but at it's simplest, there's far more competition for people's time (and money) in summer than the dead of winter.

I'd love to go to football in the middle of summer - but at the same time, my mrs isn't wanting to go on our summer holidays in January.

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

As @magic8ballsaid, there's more than that but at it's simplest, there's far more competition for people's time (and money) in summer than the dead of winter.

I'd love to go to football in the middle of summer - but at the same time, my mrs isn't wanting to go on our summer holidays in January.

TBF I'm a tight cunt and point blank refuse to go on a summer holiday during the 'school holidays' just an excuse for tour operators to rip the piss out of you. So I'd be all for summer games. That said I'm not in a position where I couldn't go during the summer like a lot of fans might be.

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

I'd love to go to football in the middle of summer - but at the same time, my brand new mrs isn't wanting to go on our summer holidays in January.

Fixed that for you....and hope the day went splendidly.

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

Demand at a club like Rangers is high though.

even though people will be on holiday there will be others that get a chance to go and enjoy it.

the biggest plus is being in the middle of a season when CL qualifiers come round.

6 hours ago, kplfishtank said:

25m for 48 games 

30m for 60 games 

is that correct or not?

As a headline that is correct. What it doesnt tell you, if my understanding is correct, is that Sky have the rights to all 228 top flight games even though they dont show them. That means the SPFL or the clubs cannot show any of the 168 games that Sky dont show or sell them to another broadcaster. That is why Rangers cant show our games on RTV to the UK market even though it is not on TV. That is a major loss in revenue for us wether through ppv or higher RTV subscriptions. 

5 hours ago, Brubear said:

As a headline that is correct. What it doesnt tell you, if my understanding is correct, is that Sky have the rights to all 228 top flight games even though they dont show them. That means the SPFL or the clubs cannot show any of the 168 games that Sky dont show or sell them to another broadcaster. That is why Rangers cant show our games on RTV to the UK market even though it is not on TV. That is a major loss in revenue for us wether through ppv or higher RTV subscriptions. 

That’s what exclusive means.