***** Rangers vs Newcastle United *****

graeme_4

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

Would rather he played well than leathered a guy in a friendly tbf. If Kent had played like him yesterday he’d have been slaughtered.

He’s wasted out left, so Beale needs a solution to it. 

I think Cantwell will play where and how he did last year. 

We'd no CF last night so others were shuffled to try to remedy it. Dessers and Roofe from this weekend and hopefully Danilo in soon can get the others like Cantwell back to doing what they do best.

22 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Beale played Sakala and Matondo up top, with Cantwell in behind, and it worked pretty well despite 2 / 3 being garbage.

He’s not spending £10m on two strikers for one to sit on the bench.

If Dessers and Danilo are your two, you’ve got Roofe, Lammers, and Sakala (if he stays) who can fill in. 

Lammers cost a fair wedge as well did he not? Bout £4m I think?

Think with his style, he is very likely to be the deeper lying of the two.

Think its going to be very much a 'Roofe' type signing of a striker who will be involved allot, and get plenty of game time, but they will also find themselves having regular rotational shifts on the bench.

You might be right and maybe we will see Dessers and Danilo (should he sign) both playing together regularly, but I think it is more likely going to be a bit of a rotational style thing, which I think will also be very sensible.

6 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Think its going to be very much a 'Roofe' type signing of a striker who will be involved allot, and get plenty of game time, but they will also find themselves having regular rotational shifts on the bench.

You might be right and maybe we will see Dessers and Danilo (should he sign) both playing together regularly, but I think it is more likely going to be a bit of a rotational style thing, which I think will also be very sensible.

The 18 months or so where he was for Roofe was one of the first names on the teamsheet.

9 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

I still expect in the tougher games us to line up with Raskin, Lundstram or Jack and possibly Cifuentes in midfield with Cantwell pushed further up.

See that’s the thing, Beale seems to be building a squad with options to be able to pick a line up for a specific type of match. Our strongest XI may not always be the best XI to play in certain games.

45 minutes ago, The Specky Non Liar - Sometimes said:

The 18 months or so where he was for Roofe was one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Roofe came on as a sub for us 11 times in his first season (36 appearances) and 19 times in his second season (36 appearances).

Also a considerable amount where he was substituted off around the 60-75 min mark.

To be fair though, I did think it was more in his first season, and injuries did play their part no doubt.

Would expect to see somewhat similar of a pattern if we do sign Danilo, with him, Dessers and Lammers kinda in rotation for spots.

If two of them in particular strike up a great relationship, then they might be starters more than the other, but think they will all see plenty of game time regardless.

The cry was no defenders with Souttar the only one getting pass marks and later on young Yfeko did well.

If Beale doesn't get in another centerback and a right and left sided defender we will not win a thing.

Both Tav and Borna are not good enough now.

1 hour ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

We could line up with a narrow three with Cantwell playing as a midfielder:

Danilo                 Dessers

Lammers

Or one of Dessers and Danilo playing centrally with Sima playing wide.

Only issue with all of our tactics is how narrow we are defensively. 

3 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

BTW what the fuck was that WATP song before kick off?

Sounded like Drew McIntyre had commissioned Lordi for some new walk out music.

Is it the one they’ve played a few times at HT? If so, it’s the worst thing they’ve ever done, chronic.

10 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

It's a heavy metal song with someone singing WE ARE THE PEOPLE.

Can't remember if I've heard it before :lol: 

Sounds like the one I’m meaning :lol: 

Played it a few times and then patched it, sure I posted about it on here in a thread, absolutely awful

15 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

It's a heavy metal song with someone singing WE ARE THE PEOPLE.

Can't remember if I've heard it before :lol: 

Wish they'd just fuck off with the music and let an atmosphere generate organically. (Or just play some flute bands ideally). :lol:

my biggest gripe ever is the shortened version of Simply The Best when the players emerge from the tunnel, the whole reason that song was so spine tingling was the build up and yes the add on's and if we can't have the real thing I'd rather not bother with a weak imitation.

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Anyone got a clip of Newcastle 1st goal, I've not seen it yet?

If you have Rangers TV they have the full match up.

Everyone is slagging Borna but our defensive positioning, especially in midfield, in the lead up to the goal means he has little choice where he ends up. It's a complete chain reaction from not getting our shape further up the park right.

When the Newcastle player gets the ball deep (not sure of their name) Lammers doesn't show him outside but Jack, Lundstram and Dowell are all too far over the left hand side of the pitch. There's no midfield cover, so Souttar, already too close to Tav, has pushed up because otherwise their recieving player gets a free turn 35 yards out into the middle of the pitch. But because he pushes up Davies and Borna are now isolated. 

Jack and then Lundstram are too slow to react, Newcastle player has a give and go with Tonali which then leaves Borna and Davies scrambling. Borna has to split the difference between the two players because Davies isn't able to completely cover and is on the wrong side of his man. Barisic has to try and give himself the best chance of blocking a pass to both players and he's not quick enough on the turn to get to the outside man when the pass finally comes.

2 hours ago, NeoGeo7 said:

See that’s the thing, Beale seems to be building a squad with options to be able to pick a line up for a specific type of match. Our strongest XI may not always be the best XI to play in certain games.

I think he has too due to our league. One week on a plastic pitch playing a team of hammer throwers  with 10 man defence and the next a well-drilled European side pinging it about the park with ease

1 hour ago, Smile said:

The cry was no defenders with Souttar the only one getting pass marks and later on young Yfeko did well.

If Beale doesn't get in another centerback and a right and left sided defender we will not win a thing.

Both Tav and Borna are not good enough now.

Tavernier is first name on the team sheet no matter how bad he is or who else we sign.

43 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

If you have Rangers TV they have the full match up.

Everyone is slagging Borna but our defensive positioning, especially in midfield, in the lead up to the goal means he has little choice where he ends up. It's a complete chain reaction from not getting our shape further up the park right.

When the Newcastle player gets the ball deep (not sure of their name) Dessers doesn't show him outside but Jack, Lundstram and Dowell are all too far over the left hand side of the pitch. There's no midfield cover, so Souttar, already too close to Tav, has pushed up because otherwise their recieving player gets a free turn 35 yards out into the middle of the pitch. But because he pushes up Davies and Borna are now isolated. 

Jack and then Lundstram are too slow to react, Newcastle player has a give and go with Tonali which then leaves Borna and Davies scrambling. Borna has to split the difference between the two players because Davies isn't able to completely cover and is on the wrong side of his man. Barisic has to try and give himself the best chance of blocking a pass to both players and he's not quick enough on the turn to get to the outside man when the pass finally comes.

D76811B9-1905-430B-A810-8BB73DC5E14A.gif.214123b50a94f711ac805c465725892f.gif