Just now, ritchieshearercaldow said:

Embarrassing decision makes you wonder if the refs at it again

Genuine question, which law of the game was misapplied? Dumfries kicked him (studs up, no less) while the ball was in play. Do the rules say if you've got your shot off it's not a penalty?

Just now, JamieD said:

Genuine question, which law of the game was misapplied? Dumfries kicked him (studs up, no less) while the ball was in play. Do the rules say if you've got your shot off it's not a penalty?

Kane kicked him.

1 minute ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

Kane kicked him.

Kane kicked the ball. Surely the fundamental rule of the game has to be that the player who plays the ball has the advantage?

It's shit, but seems an honest application of a bad rule. Once it goes to VAR, what's the ref supposed to do?

Not buying this whole Kane kicks him chat tbh.

If you pause the clip at when Kane contacts the ball, the Dutch player's foot travels further until he contacts Kane, than Kane's foot travels to contact the defender.

It's definitely 'more' of a kick from the defender and he's the one also with his studs up, too.

Not to mention Kane is the one who got to the ball first and is classed as the one being in control and as such the onus is on the defender not to impede.

2 minutes ago, JamieD said:

Dumfries didn't kick him šŸ¤£

Just now, JamieD said:

Kane kicked the ball. Surely the fundamental rule of the game has to be that the player who plays the ball has the advantage?

It's shit, but seems an honest application of a bad rule. Once it goes to VAR, what's the ref supposed to do?

Indeed.Ā 

People forgetting this.Ā 

Just now, JamieD said:

Play on with a goal kick because it's not a clear and obvious error.

9 minutes ago, HG5 said:

Just as long as Spain donā€™t go one up, then revert to that mind-numbing walking football that they do.

Aye, it gets boring after 100 passes and 50 Oles.

:craphead:

France went for it though.

Why risk it when you are winning?

Brilliant first half from Spain though.

Ā 

2 minutes ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

Play on with a goal kick because it's not a clear and obvious error.

I can agree with this, but I'm not sure how it works with VAR, is it the VAR team or the ref who decides whether it's a clear and obvious error? If the former, what's the ref supposed to do?

Just now, JamieD said:

I can agree with this, but I'm not sure how it works with VAR, is it the VAR team or the ref who decides whether it's a clear and obvious error? If the former, what's the ref supposed to do?

Its the VAR who advise the ref to look at the incident. The ref can stick with the original decision.

1 minute ago, JamieD said:

It's the VAR team.

Believe at the point the ref looks at the monitor the clear and obvious criteria is out the window.

1 minute ago, JamieD said:

As weā€™ve seen, to our detriment, the VAR spots something and suggests the ref goes to the screen.

Itā€™s then up to the ref as to go with what VAR flags up, or stick with his original take.

Again, as weā€™ve seen, it seems very hard for them to stick with their original call once the idea they missed something is put in their minds.