Barry Ferguson our only Scottish World Class player !

BLUEDIGNITY

hmm interesting that those at blackburn dont rate him and neither did the premership fans, perhaps he like being the big fish in the little pond

Source?

His ex-teammate Marcus Babbel seems to disagree... Stuttgart coach Markus Babbel rates Rangers captain Barry Ferguson in the same class as his former Bayern Munich teammate, Stefan Effenberg.

Former defender Babbel told the Sunday Mail: "I arrived at Blackburn just before Barry but right away I could see he was something special. He's a leader. Barry makes the difference. Even if he's not on top form the other players are still happy he's on the pitch because he has this presence.

"I had the same thing with Effenberg at Bayern. He couldn't play superbly in every game but if he was on the pitch I felt well. You can see Barry is the inspiration to his team-mates. He isn't an Indian - he's the chief. You need an organiser and in that sense he's like Effenberg and probably even Roy Keane.

"Barry isn't the type of person who will just agree with people for the sake of it. If he's not happy with something he will tell you. If someone isn't playing well or misses a pass or something then he will be shouting.

"He didn't have the captain's armband at Blackburn but doesn't need to have something around his arm to be the way he is. You can see with his body language that he's a leader. He doesn't drop his shoulders, his chest is always out and you can see he's a proud guy.

"Barry is something special. He can score goals, play good passes to create openings and is good at set-pieces. He brings everything to the team. His arms are always up and he tries to get as much out of his team-mates as possible."

Also, another Blackburn team-mate in Gary Flitcroft:

Despite all the recent signings Ewood Park was rocked when captain and Scotland international midfielder Barry Ferguson handed in a written transfer request as Rangers attempt to lure their former talisman back North but Hughes is keen to keep the £6.5 million signing in Lancashire.

Opinion is split amongst the Blackburn fans regarding the ‘homesick’ former Rangers player but Richard Conway believes that Ferguson’s presence in the team is vital to the side.

“I think he's been very important to the side, central midfield has been a problem position for us as both Flitty and Tugay seem to be in the twilight of their careers, and Ferguson has given us some much needed solidity and quality in there. I think £7.5 million would be about right for him! Rangers have money after the sale of Boumsong and to let Fergie leave for any less than we paid for him would be bad business. I actually can't see him wanting to leave, it would be like admitting defeat and I think Barry Ferguson is the sort of player who's determined to prove himself at a higher level than the Scottish league.â€

And, an article from a friend of mine ;)http://www.rangersmedia.com/ezine/april2007/boysinblue2.html

then again, fans and people on internet forums know more than the players around him :P

Opinion is not always fact haha

HaHa, what about a Stuttgart coach and ex-professional?

well, you would think eh? haha. wont be good enough for some matey haha

Well, he did say Blackburn. I quoted 2 'from Blakburn'. But hey, nothing like a decent source or evidence for such a bold statement.

:pipehorse: :rolleyes:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know Boab, sometimes its laughable, even bloody Champagne Charlie Nicholas says he is world class, and our best player, and, thats coming from a Tim, so, how anyone needs more proof is beyond me! He was exceptional yesterday, as were several others

you know Boab, sometimes its laughable, even bloody Champagne Charlie Nicholas says he is world class, and our best player, and, thats coming from a Tim, so, how anyone needs more proof is beyond me! He was exceptional yesterday, as were several others

*sighs*...aye

I jusdge Le Guen on what he did with us, and since, and, neither were spectacular! in fact neither were acceptable!

To me, there's absolutely no point in judging a manager after half a season, no more than you should substitute a player who's made two misplaced passes within the first five minutes of a game. As for what he's done since, you'd be making the same mistake given that he hasn't had a full season with PSG either, though as it happens he took over a team sitting 17th in the league and managed to save them from relegation, so why that's a disaster I'm not entirely sure.

How did h have a terrible start? they won the league every season, following on from Santini's (i think) good work in creating the team.

They only won three of his first nine games - the point being that if the Lyon players/fans had got on his back after a ridiculously short period of time and he'd been sacked, they'd have got rid of a manager who was in the process of guiding them to three successive titles. Football's full of examples like that one - Alex Ferguson at Man United for instance, was on the verge of being sacked three years into the job (which would clearly have been a disastrous mistake given what happened later); yet we're absolutely certain that Le Guen was a failure on the basis of what he did in 5 months.

I'm not saying Le Guen would have been a great manager, I'm saying that it's impossible to tell what he would have done because he wasn't given anything like enough time to sort out the team.

"Some of his signings"??? oh come on, is that serious?? they were all bad, and have all gone apart from Papac, who, is a CB, and, doing a not bad job filling in a LB.

The point about his signings has to be the most exaggerated one anyone makes in regards to Le Guen. He only paid money for four players: Papac we've already mentioned; Clement, who's a very talented young player and not the complete nobody he's portrayed as in this country; Svensson, another young player expected to make the transition to the SPL overnight and lastly, of course, the legend that is Philip Sebo (who I'll admit was a poor signing). It's hardly the carousel of useless duffers it's commonly remembered as, given time Clement and Svensson could well have been decent players for us.

If Le Guen WAS the second coming of Jose, as we had been led to believe, he would still be here, and successful, but, the fact is, he wasnt, and isnt, anything else is conjecture.

Say what you will about Ferguson, ultimately, he has been proven right, given we are doing well, and, PLG went to PSG and is failing miserably

I strongly doubt he would have had success here regardless of how good he was. The way Ferguson and other members of the squad refused to obey perfectly reasonable rules such as the ban on drinking alcohol (what baffling stupidity to ask professional sportsmen not to get pished on a regular basis and take care of their bodies - I mean... the nerve :rolleyes:) and the way the board refused to back Le Guen over the inevitable conflict which arose meant that Le Guen was fighting a losing battle from the moment he arrived.

Would you prefer he was still here and we hadnt qualified for Europe and were currently lying about 6th in the league?

I'd prefer either that he'd been given a chance to succeed or that he hadn't come in the first place. Bringing in a manager with his reputation and subjecting him to the treatment he received was a disaster on the pitch and worse, it damaged our reputation abroad (particularly in France) where we're seen by some people as a laughing stock for running a hugely respected coach out of the club because Barry Ferguson and Kris Boyd wanted to get pished - not the whole story but that's how many people see it over there.

Mark McGhee another tim in the Sunday Herald says the same thing, waxing lyrical about him he is, Bazza must be doin something right. World Class make no mistake ! :sherlock:

I jusdge Le Guen on what he did with us, and since, and, neither were spectacular! in fact neither were acceptable!

To me, there's absolutely no point in judging a manager after half a season, no more than you should substitute a player who's made two misplaced passes within the first five minutes of a game. As for what he's done since, you'd be making the same mistake given that he hasn't had a full season with PSG either, though as it happens he took over a team sitting 17th in the league and managed to save them from relegation, so why that's a disaster I'm not entirely sure.

How did h have a terrible start? they won the league every season, following on from Santini's (i think) good work in creating the team.

They only won three of his first nine games - the point being that if the Lyon players/fans had got on his back after a ridiculously short period of time and he'd been sacked, they'd have got rid of a manager who was in the process of guiding them to three successive titles. Football's full of examples like that one - Alex Ferguson at Man United for instance, was on the verge of being sacked three years into the job (which would clearly have been a disastrous mistake given what happened later); yet we're absolutely certain that Le Guen was a failure on the basis of what he did in 5 months.

I'm not saying Le Guen would have been a great manager, I'm saying that it's impossible to tell what he would have done because he wasn't given anything like enough time to sort out the team.

"Some of his signings"??? oh come on, is that serious?? they were all bad, and have all gone apart from Papac, who, is a CB, and, doing a not bad job filling in a LB.

The point about his signings has to be the most exaggerated one anyone makes in regards to Le Guen. He only paid money for four players: Papac we've already mentioned; Clement, who's a very talented young player and not the complete nobody he's portrayed as in this country; Svensson, another young player expected to make the transition to the SPL overnight and lastly, of course, the legend that is Philip Sebo (who I'll admit was a poor signing). It's hardly the carousel of useless duffers it's commonly remembered as, given time Clement and Svensson could well have been decent players for us.

If Le Guen WAS the second coming of Jose, as we had been led to believe, he would still be here, and successful, but, the fact is, he wasnt, and isnt, anything else is conjecture.

Say what you will about Ferguson, ultimately, he has been proven right, given we are doing well, and, PLG went to PSG and is failing miserably

I strongly doubt he would have had success here regardless of how good he was. The way Ferguson and other members of the squad refused to obey perfectly reasonable rules such as the ban on drinking alcohol (what baffling stupidity to ask professional sportsmen not to get pished on a regular basis and take care of their bodies - I mean... the nerve :rolleyes:) and the way the board refused to back Le Guen over the inevitable conflict which arose meant that Le Guen was fighting a losing battle from the moment he arrived.

Would you prefer he was still here and we hadnt qualified for Europe and were currently lying about 6th in the league?

I'd prefer either that he'd been given a chance to succeed or that he hadn't come in the first place. Bringing in a manager with his reputation and subjecting him to the treatment he received was a disaster on the pitch and worse, it damaged our reputation abroad (particularly in France) where we're seen by some people as a laughing stock for running a hugely respected coach out of the club because Barry Ferguson and Kris Boyd wanted to get pished - not the whole story but that's how many people see it over there.

A lot of fair points there, but, the thing with the signings is, he bought the wrong players for the job, maybe they had potential, however, they were bought as first teamers, which makes them poor signings.

Given pLGs reputation, the only success he has had as a manager, as such, was the Lyon period, was he not sacked from his previous role, and, has gone on to be less successful since Lyon. Perhaps it is not his fault, bout, as a rule, the French do not do wwell over here, both on and off the field, JCD excepted, and, as has shown recently, thwy can't seem to compete against Scots teams, so, overall it would have seem that the combination should be avoided

fantastic player but the press are obsessed with brown.

Yer right the phress are obsessed with brown but they can obviously see the difference between World Class and the likes of brown. Ferguson doesn't pull out of importamt Qualifiers even though he's been carrying an injury for some time. The likes of brown pulls out with a faked injury because his club tell him to. Got it on good authority there's hee haw wrong with him ! :sherlock:

fantastic player but the press are obsessed with brown.

Yer right the phress are obsessed with brown but they can obviously see the difference between World Class and the likes of brown. Ferguson doesn't pull out of importamt Qualifiers even though he's been carrying an injury for some time. The likes of brown pulls out with a faked injury because his club tell him to. Got it on good authority there's hee haw wrong with him ! :sherlock:

That will be because They are terrified of playing us, when we expose them for the side they really are ;)

I'd argue Hemdani is also, but I think Hemdani is Allah

Talkin Scottish here mate ! But Hemdani is good and if I'm not wrong here he will be a big factor on Saturday ! :sherlock:

but chances of him scoring a belter again are quite slim i would imagine! ha he had a shot since that one?

I'd argue Hemdani is also, but I think Hemdani is Allah

Talkin Scottish here mate ! But Hemdani is good and if I'm not wrong here he will be a big factor on Saturday ! :sherlock:

but chances of him scoring a belter again are quite slim i would imagine! ha he had a shot since that one?

Against Osasuna :rangers:

Fergie is a world class player but i think some fans have never got over him leaving to start with and the plg saga was just more ammo for some, i was no different to begin with gutted could not begin to descirbe how i felt when he left but when he came back there was no way i could still be mad, captain marvel returned home.

I still dont get how people class him a flop at Blackburn as i made it a habit of watching any of there games that were on tv just to see how he was doing and he must have been doing something right if he got something like 17 motm awards down there in 36 games, even Andy Gray said if Barry had stayed down south for another season or two it wouldnt suprise him in the least as he is good enough.

Fergie is a world class player but i think some fans have never got over him leaving to start with and the plg saga was just more ammo for some, i was no different to begin with gutted could not begin to descirbe how i felt when he left but when he came back there was no way i could still be mad, captain marvel returned home.

I still dont get how people class him a flop at Blackburn as i made it a habit of watching any of there games that were on tv just to see how he was doing and he must have been doing something right if he got something like 17 motm awards down there in 36 games, even Andy Gray said if Barry had stayed down south for another season or two it wouldnt suprise him in the least as he is good enough.

Never any intention of him stayin down there, was all done for a reason. Blackburn who they ? Back of beyond ! only won a championship by the skin of their teeth, bad finishin by andy cole on the day and jack walkers money. Dalglish has been a didi manager everywhere he has been. Fergie was always comin back and thank fcuk he did ! :sherlock:

I would say Gordon and Hutton are well on their way to becoming World Class players too.

I agree

And in McFadden, McManus & Brown we have very good, but not world class, players.

There is a very strong core of a team for the long term in place there.

Also, agree. I like McManus in a navy Blue shirt and with Brown and Pearson there is a useful energy.

I dare say, but Fletcher could be the heir to Barry.

He could very well be (tu)

People might laugh now as he is struggling for form, but I still think Thomson will be both RFC's and Scotlands long term replecement to Ferguson.

You've got me laughing already!! He is too SLOW! Cannot pass. Gives away copious number of fouls. No way IMO.

I would say Gordon and Hutton are well on their way to becoming World Class players too.

I agree

And in McFadden, McManus & Brown we have very good, but not world class, players.

Also, agree. I like McManus in a navy Blue shirt and with Brown and Pearson there is a useful energy.

People might laugh now as he is struggling for form, but I still think Thomson will be both RFC's and Scotlands long term replecement to Ferguson.

You've got me laughing already!! He is too SLOW! Cannot pass. Gives away copious number of fouls. No way IMO.

Like the copious bit, thats funny ! Thomson you never know, he's a dirty enough player, bit slow right enough but got a lot to learn, time will tell, be a Ranger that will wear Barry's armband but, you heard it here first ! :sherlock:

I agree

Like the copious bit, thats funny ! Thomson you never know, he's a dirty enough player, bit slow right enough but got a lot to learn, time will tell, be a Ranger that will wear Barry's armband but, you heard it here first ! :sherlock:

I think Naismith or Cuellar will take over the armband.

I agree

I think Naismith or Cuellar will take over the armband.

There will be players that come and go for both Rangers and Scotland before it happens. :sherlock:

• 1 year later...