Tale of Two Cities...

D'Artagnan

Or two journalists to be precise….

One claims to be of Celtic persuasion whilst the other clams to have been a Rangers supporter …as a boy at any rate….I refer of course to Messrs Keevins and Spiers respectively.

I mention these two “gentlemen of the press†as they both share a common trait – they have both fallen foul of the support of the club they claim to support. In fact it would not be inaccurate to say that both are figures of hate amongst the respective supports – with Keevins famously…or infamously….depending how you see it… being thrown out of a press conference at Bairds Bar by the then Celtic manager, Kenny Dalglish.

Spiers on the other hand has been described as the “Judas Iscariot of Scottish journalism†by our club chairman….and of course any Ranger related publication he is involved in is boycotted by a substantial number of the Rangers support.

However this article is about their attempts top re- ingratiate themselves to the respective sides of the Old Firm support.

Moral crusader Graham Spiers is recently on record asserting his “Rangers credentials†The fact he did so for the purpose of commercial gain in promoting the book “Its Rangers For Meâ€â€¦may in fact call into the question the validity of the title “moral†in the crusader bit. Nevertheless that’s not really what we are examining here…its his assertion which is of interest. Spiers claimed to have been a at Ibrox many times as a boy thus trying to assert his unquestionable qualification to comment on the subject of Rangers.

Whether you believe him or not (and few do) the fact is he attempted to establish his Ranger credentials by suggesting he was once an Ibrox regular.

Keevins attempts are far more interesting however. Did he attempt to assert his Celtic credentials by stating his greatest ever night was in Lisbon in 1967….or that he spent many happy a day singing in the Parkhead jungle …or that he was up in the morning doing a milk round so that he could watch his beloved hoops every Saturday ?

Nope none of these.

Keevins attempts to re-establish his credibility amongst the Celtic support came in the form of the following statement..

“There were 4 priests at my daughter’s weddingâ€

I will leave you to work it out for yourselves.

i never knew or cared what religion mr keevins was so i dont know why he was bragging about it in his newspaper

Don't think it was the Rangers support he was trying to impress ;)

All just SAD if you ask me.

Should just tell both of them to pack it in.

strangest thing of all is that we let them into Ibrox to write their drivel. Objective criticism is always valid - Speirs' brand of lies and inaccuracies is not welcome.

Ancient Chinese proverb say 'Empty vessels make the loudest noise'.

Keevins is just a symptom of a wider problem in the broadcast and print media.In my view none of the so-called "pundits" give a damn about the quality of their output or providing a decent service to the listener/reader.The radio shows are the worst.A collection of buddy fests where various chums massage each others egos and bitch about their latest hate topic etc etc.I,d sack the lot of them and install some real professionals,assuming they exist in scotland,NOT ex-footballers as most of them seem to have trouble stringing two words together never mind sentences.Break open the cosy world of sports "journalism"-a misnomer if ever there was one-boot the muppets out on their arses and lets get some decent coverage-no matter how many priests were at their effin Daughters wedding(sheesh!)

The guy who gives me a lift to the football said his pal stays near speirs and hes a massive bluenose!

He was tellin me he coodney blv it when he told um, but his pal was 100% sure.

Personaly a think hes a prick :) no matter who he supports.