Stevie Smith is worried

Danny

I was reading an article about him, and his comeback, and while the headline was of the nature of 'Rangers Star Putting Injury Hell Behind Him' etc, the actual content of the story was a lot less reassuring.

First off, he's been to about 8977 surgeons at the last count. Apparently the most recent one, a German lady (possibly the same one who apparently fixed Michael Owen?) saw the procedure release a trapped nerve, ending Smith's pain in the surrounding area.

But at no point did he say anything like 'it's great to be back and to finally be rid of my problems'. Perhaps he's trying to avoid tempting fate, which I suppose is understandable, but all his comments are about 'being happy to train again but being paranoid his troubles are still there'.

He seems very, very insecure about himself - he also mentioned the hip problems he had earlier, and talk about trying to avoid tempting fate: 'hopefully they won't return, but never say never'.

It seems to me that psychologically he's been damaged by this, which is predictable given he's still very young. I hope I am not correct, but while he never quite aspired to be the LB equivalent of Mols, I have this notion that his career may go the same way - that the peace of mind which allowed him to play freely before is now gone, and he's terrified every step could lead to another injury.

Even besides, when he does come back (if), it could take him many, many months to come close to what he was before.

I would hope that the fans won't get on his back, because that will make it even worse for him.

Thoughts?

I think he will surprise all of us and be back a LOT sooner than people think.

Once you get involved in a game of football your thoughts are on the game and you are not thinking about injury unless you are in pain and hopefully now he is not.

Lets be positive for once and stop all this negativity.

Keep believing!!

:bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

I think he will surprise all of us and be back a LOT sooner than people think.

Once you get involved in a game of football your thoughts are on the game and you are not thinking about injury unless you are in pain and hopefully now he is not.

Lets be positive for once and stop all this negativity.

Keep believing!!

:bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

I'm with you.

i look forward to the boy getting back.

For all i like Sasa papac he isn't a natural quick attacking laft back.

Any news on De Marcus Beasley....i know he's out for the season but just wondering how it was looking.would have been great those 2 down the left wing.

after everything he has been through it is understandable that he is a bit cautious about thinking it's over and done with, a few games under his belt and take a few knocks in the process and he will regain his confidence in his body - assuming the knocks don't lead to any problems!

I was reading an article about him, and his comeback, and while the headline was of the nature of 'Rangers Star Putting Injury Hell Behind Him' etc, the actual content of the story was a lot less reassuring.

First off, he's been to about 8977 surgeons at the last count. Apparently the most recent one, a German lady (possibly the same one who apparently fixed Michael Owen?) saw the procedure release a trapped nerve, ending Smith's pain in the surrounding area.

But at no point did he say anything like 'it's great to be back and to finally be rid of my problems'. Perhaps he's trying to avoid tempting fate, which I suppose is understandable, but all his comments are about 'being happy to train again but being paranoid his troubles are still there'.

He seems very, very insecure about himself - he also mentioned the hip problems he had earlier, and talk about trying to avoid tempting fate: 'hopefully they won't return, but never say never'.

It seems to me that psychologically he's been damaged by this, which is predictable given he's still very young. I hope I am not correct, but while he never quite aspired to be the LB equivalent of Mols, I have this notion that his career may go the same way - that the peace of mind which allowed him to play freely before is now gone, and he's terrified every step could lead to another injury.

Even besides, when he does come back (if), it could take him many, many months to come close to what he was before.

I would hope that the fans won't get on his back, because that will make it even worse for him.

Thoughts?

I mentioned the exact same a few months ago Danny, it will take him a good while in the first team to get back to match fit, then further still to find that form he had before he got injured, we must be patient, though it may be hard for Walter to persevere with him if he is 'adequate' rather than 'performing well' if we are still pushing on all 4 fronts.

Thoughts?

I mentioned the exact same a few months ago Danny, it will take him a good while in the first team to get back to match fit, then further still to find that form he had before he got injured, we must be patient, though it may be hard for Walter to persevere with him if he is 'adequate' rather than 'performing well' if we are still pushing on all 4 fronts.

Watched him tonight in the reserves , done ok , looks quite a bit away from the 1st team , good to see him on the way back

I was pleased to hear he'd come through tonight's game in one piece.

As has been said, he's some way off the first team, but we have to hope his recovery goes smoothly.

Doesn't alter my opening post, but it's something.

Another 70 minutes tonight. My cousin said he's looking better but still quite a bit away. Just have to be careful and patient with the lad.

Break him in gradually. He doesn't seem to shirk a tackle after all that's gone through, I just hope he doesn't push himself too hard.

I hope he makes a full recovery for his own sake, he was a f*kn damn good player, he deserves it.